Forumite

History field trip.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

This afternoon I was a bit bored so went to St Lythans

My intention was to park up make my way to the gate, get a few photos and come back home. That didn’t happen. I saw the dolmen and had to get closer to it.

It’s awesome. I’m so glad I made my very slow, careful way across the 50 odd meters or so of field but it was hard work and I’m absolutely broken now.

Photo. 

Another.

Last one for now.

Viewing 12 replies - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,529

Edit.

Thanks Lee! :good:

Yesterday I went to a couple of castle’s that I didn’t know existed until earlier on in the day.

One of them was a bit of a let-down, 10 minutes was plenty of time there. Really not much too see apart from 4 walls .

The other was epic. Well worth the effort. Coity Castle is the one.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by PlaneMan.
    Participant
    Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 2,027

PM – ever been here ?
    http://www.castlewales.com/white.html

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Boris.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,636

You can probably thank the English for most of the older Welsh castles – if they hadn’t been such a PITA neighbour, you wouldn’t have needed them!! :yahoo:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Boris, no never been there but it’s on my list now, thanks. Might go next week or the week after.

JCD, ain’t that the truth!

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,928

Many like the ones that PM referenced were built in the independent nation of Monmouthshire (note, most definitely not Gwent!) by the Marcher lords. The most famous was William Marshal. He was the Beckham of his day who made his loot in tournaments and wenching, robbing and pillaging in Northern France. His life and times would make a TV series to rival Poldark!

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,540

There was a documentary on recently, may have been PBS, about him. He ended up with Chepstow and Pembroke Castles through marriage.
    Must have had some balls because he faced down Richard the Lionheart when fighting for his father and lived to tell the tale. But then Richard wasn’t daft and needed someone of that military stature when he got the crown and intended to go a’Crusading.
    Quite a bloke.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Dave, is it the Timewatch one? 

Going to have a watch now.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,540

I’m pretty certain it isn’t but the Timewatch series is very good. It may have been part of a longer series on Chivalry? I’ll see if I can find it but it didn’t have the action scenes in like the beeb have done.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,928

Elizabeth Chadwick wrote a historical novel ‘The Greatest Knight’ . There are a few non-fiction bios that have a similar title.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Made it to the White Castle today. It’s a cracker. I was a bit worried as for someone that’s knackered it’s a pretty big site but I managed to get about on my crutches OK. I’m totally exhausted and in lots of pain now though.

Participant
    Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 2,027

Glad you liked it PM.
    In the middle of nowhere, but is my favourite of “The Three Castles”.
    Grosmont is good too, but harder to actually find and a bit more difficult to get around.
    Skenfrith is fairly flat, in the middle of the village, but not as interesting as the other two.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

I sure did Boris. Thanks again.

My intention was to see at least one other castle in the general area but I was just too tired.

Some great roads around there as well, thankfully Waze likes to take me down the twisty ones which is what my little car is made for.

Viewing 12 replies - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.