Forumite

Home Hub Back Door

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

(Probably) in order to update/troubleshoot/alter or control your router via ADSL comms, BT have deliberately installed a back-door open port at 8085 in their Home Hubs, as demonstrated here. link

You cannot close this link as a Google search will show. The only way to close the port is to junk the Home Hub, but I’m not sure what that does to your Broadband reliability, or if other ISPs also keep open ports on their routers. If you have an isp other than BT try the link above and see if you also get an open port.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,149

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Neither the link nor Shields Up, linked to above, show any open ports on my Talk Talk Super Hub but they can log in to the router some how because they did it last time I had a speed problem.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

Strange.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ed P.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

My contempt for them grows. I replaced 6 in one year.

When one of my customers moved to home working we needed a device to connect to his Virgin Hub (in modem mode) and I got a £26 TP-Link TL-WR940N. The company Synology server was moved to his house and his PC holds the master database for the accountancy software they all use so an inwards VPN server was set up on the Synology.

As you can see it’s not been idle and I know the day I installed it, 182 days ago at 17:43 hrs.

He’s even set up a second business while at home (he can now practice under his own name) and we’re using the same hardware (partitioned by permissions) but with a VOIP number for the new “phone line”.

Who needs an office for a small business? Who needs a phone line?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.