Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Other Tech Home security camera robot

• Creator
    Topic
    Marc Berry
    Participant

Hey guys

I started to think about getting an indoor Camera and came across a small mobile Camera called ipatrol riley. It gets mixed reviews but mainly positive.

Anyone got any experience with these and any other suggestions?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      The Duke
      Participant

Looking at a few you yt videos of this, it looks a novelty at best. A good way to scare dogs.

A couple of dedicated cameras would be far better.

Also if the robot goes out the room where the charger is housed it can’t find its way home to charge. Looks like it relays on some kind of ir signal from the Base station. Unlike rumba (vacuum) robots, that I think map where it’s been to find its way ‘home’.

Looks more like a kids toy, than a proper security device.

If you have any old smartphones, you could use one of them (or all), as a diy option. I’d bet they would give at least as good output at this robot. Night maybe not. But if you have a smart bulb(s)  you could set them to turn on if noise is detected between 11pm and 7am for example.

PlaneMan
        Participant

I have something like this from years ago, used my Orange San Francisco in a cradle.

Never worked properly, always got stuck or fell over.

Marc Berry
          Participant

it does look at bit ‘kiddy’ but the camera quality seemed okay.

i think if i remotely moved it off the dock i would move it back there manually before exiting or at least before the battery ran out and then press auto dock when close enough.

be good if there was more competition for it to drive both lower prices and better specs

Dave Rice
            Participant

It’s a toy.

The next survey I do I’ll propose putting the cameras 3 inches above the ground and see what the customer says ☺

JayCeeDee
              Participant

Well at least they could identify what trainers the thief was wearing!!:)

Ed P
                Participant

With any home security camera set-up take a few moments to think through what you are trying to achieve.I’d say this camera was excellent if you want to see the world from the viewpoint of a small kitten, but not much else! If you want to monitor your front door or something then go for a permanent install mounted around ceiling height. However, these will normally only ‘catch’ amateur intruders and those unaware of the camera locations.. The pros take steps to make such filming useless. link To catch people such as ‘The Wimbledon Cat Burglar’, the camera has to be a small easily moved hidden one (lots of these spy cameras are on the market, or easily make one with a raspberry pi.)

Marc Berry
                  Participant

cheers guys, i’ll rethink

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                  Forumite