Forumite Forums General Topics Tech PC Talk House move, new setup.

• Creator
    Topic
    Bob Williams
    Participant

Hi guys, got a question about setting up in the new apartment. I have a 2 yo TP Link TD-W9980 and would like to set this up instead of the Plusnet Hub, in the new place. Router:

http://tinyurl.com/rvrzc2p

The Hub works well here, but I have realised that the second bedroom which will be the desktop’s home (and mine, mostly!) is not behind the wall where the router will be plugged into the master socket. There are two walls and a short corridor between router and where the desktop will be situated: approximately 15 metres. So I am considering this powerline adapter:  http://tinyurl.com/tsptlph

Or a range extender:  ( 1st choice) –  http://tinyurl.com/yxxfc855

2nd choice:    http://tinyurl.com/vg72m2u

What would be my best solution? The apartment is ground floor, in a modern complex built around 8 years ago. All advice appreciated, Thanks guys.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
      I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave Rice
      Participant

I would be surprised if the TPL router didn’t cover that area. Hold onto your wallet for a bit.

If it doesn’t work I’d go for the TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT. Basically the same but with Wi-Fi at the other end as well as 2 Ethernet sockets and the same price.

I used one in an awkward house and it worked a treat. It has a WiFi clone button to make set up easy peasy. Speeds were so good I’ve for gotten what they were! It’s servicing a PC, laptop and wireless printer in a SOHO set up.

Bob Williams
        Participant

Sorry I haven’t replied until now Dave. Combination of suddenly taking ill and trying to pack stuff before the move. I have a double appointment at Boston Pilgrim hospital next week, at long last someone listened to my repeated insistence that there is something wrong with my kidney(s). (Two of my few remaining working [?] organs)

Thanks very much for that link, it appears to be just what I need. However, I will wait and see if the W9980 does the job on its own, as you say. My grandson agrees with you there, so I have a second opinion! Anyway, I saved the link to Pocket and I note that I can get a Renewed version for £32.

I'm out.

Dave Rice
          Participant

You’ve got an Android phone, so get yourself the free WiFi Analyzer – we use it all the time for WiFi surveys.

As it says in the reviews it’s not a “real time” analyzer (nothing is) and takes a few seconds between updates, but wandering around mobile in hand isn’t how you do surveys anyway 😉

The Channel Graph mode will show you all the SSIDs in the area and what channel they are on so will help you to force a channel if the auto function of the router / AP picks a crowded one. Use the Signal Meter mode to look at your own SSID.

Strive for perfection by all means, but anything in the middle of the yellow zone (-70db) will do you just fine. Then you have 2.4Ghz vs 5GHz. I’ll let my Ubiquiti controller do the talking…

This is sorted by Ubiquiti’s WiFi “experience” rating and as you can see pure dbm isn’t the be all and end all as it’s a mix of a lot of things.

Basically, in the real world it’s fast enough then don’t worry about it.

Bob Williams
            Participant

Thanks Dave, installed that and looking forward to a play with it.

Cheers, Bob.

I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
            Forumite