Forumite

How much?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Today I had my overdue eye test, overdue because of the thing that was very serious but now lots of people seem to have forgotten about. :negative:

I had a feeling that I might need glasses of some kind. I was right. I’m still legal to drive without glasses but I’d need 3 monthly checks if I refused glasses. Otherwise it’d be reported to DVLA.

Also some bins for reading, which surprised me a bit. My autistic nature took over and the ‘No1 or No2’ test was done many times, with me closing my eyes and asking the optician not to tell me which lens was which, just to note down my preference.

So varifocals it is.

£205. :wacko:

That includes my ‘I’m broken and cant’ work’ NHS discount. 2 pairs. Nothing fancy, just slim metal frames.

How do people that earn just enough to not qualify for NHS help but need specs manage? It’s beyond me.

If I get on with the ones from Specsavers , who where brilliant and used much PPE and cleaning stuff, I’ll get a load of cheap ones online and just stash them places I go often.

I haven’t done bad realistically, my left eye is essentially a dud, I can read with it but it hurts and involves a lot of head turning and much concentration. That was going to be cured when I was a kid by knackering my right eye with misty lenses in glasses to ‘make my left eye stronger’.  As a 9 year old I told the optician that it was a daft idea. :yahoo:

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,283

To answer the last part of your question some people are entitled to vouchers (in England, sorry did not check Wales). link

With respect to your own glasses. Varifocals are the expensive option even more if you had the Rolls-Royce self tinting lens option.

A ‘long distance’ pair usually allows you to drive without issue, while reading glasses can often be simple lenses without full astigmatic correction. However if you are big into spread sheets scrub that last remark as reading the wrong line/column can be an expensive mistake. The other big expense are the frames, cheap & cheerful NHS plastic do the job but are not at all trendy.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,221

Ed, I was getting overloaded with information. I explained that to them.

The staff were great but even then I needed to get out.

I chose the 2 for £69 frames,  the one down from the top of the range of the varifocal lenses and anti glare.

I can try them for up-to 3 months and if I’m not happy can switch to separate long range and reading.

I don’t give a rats arse about being fashionable, all I care about is if it does the job, isn’t too expensive and I like it.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

One of the MM posters knew a lot about the Opticians and Audiology  business. All I know is that like many medical items the UK is one of the more expensive places, and I was unpleasantly surprised at the difference in spectacle cost between the UK and Singapore.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,073

I get mine from Glasses Direct and they are better than the Vision Express ones in all respects.

I discovered them when the mother-in-law lost her £300 boots varifocals and there was a TV ad at the right time. They really do have an optician check everything, m-i-l prescription didn’t contain eyeball separation distance so they had me take a photo of her with a credit card on her forehead for reference. The glasses arrived and they were perfect, despite going for every coating and a transition tint they were £132 comapred to £300.

In my own case Vision Direct’s latest proved OK for reading but useless for the laptop. Told I needed intermediate ones instead and they would be full price despite them admitting they knew my occupation and laptop use. So sent the prescription off to GD to find there was again missing information, soon sorted out with a quick chat about the current pair and distances involved. Two pairs, one “designer”, with three coatings £114 and it’s the cheap ones I wear most.

I will be going to them all the time from now on, next test due in about a year from now. Think I’m going to need distance ones too so it may be varifocal time.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks Dave I’ll have a look at Glasses Direct.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,732

I still have 20 20 vision. I duno how they work that out?

As a young man I could see every detail in the road on my motorbike @ x speed.

I realy do need to get some glasses nowerdays. I’m Using the ones from the pound shop. Which in real terms cannot be doing any good. Funny you take it for ganted to see like a terminator when your a kid ( I see everything ). I miss my perfect vision. If only. :)

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,581

20 20 vision just means you have the vision of the the average person. Youre  int centre chunk of the standard distribution curve.

Luckily I too still have good sight, never need gigs and still have 20 20 (+) vision 21 20 (or the other way round).

The Mrs has terrible sight, and the kids app wear glasses also. Though I have never bought pair of gigs for any of them, so have no idea of prices. They seem steep though .

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Pound shop glasses are for reading and they’re OK for that to a point, it’s how I started. As your eyes get worse, which they will, then you’ll find the difference in a proper pair of specs is amazing, especially if one eye is different to the other. Mine seem to deteriorate by +0.5 every test.

Now mine are over +2 I’ve found I need the lens to be constructed differently to readers so that I can use the same pair for reading the kindle and using the laptop. I believe they are known as intermediates.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Unfortunately people with 20+/20 vision tend to need reading glasses as they age beyond 40 because  the  focussing muscles in the eye have to become ever stronger to deal with an increasingly rigid lens in the eye. As a result I now need almost a magnifying glass to solder any electronics.

If like my wife the vanity aspect of wearing contacts/spectacles appals then either save up to have your eyes lasered or start doing eye strengthening exercises which may help delay the inevitable.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,966

I have always had a tendency towards short sight and at 27 I finally had to admit I would need glasses for driving ( I could no longer read street signs until I was right on top of them).

Once I got a pair of glasses I liked being able to see everything again so much that I decided to just wear them all the time 😁.

I still only need single focus lenses but I had a bit of money last year so I decided to splash out on a new pair at boots.

Designer Stepper titanium frames and single focus lenses with everything. Special construction for thinness and light weight, antireflection/glare/scratch coatings and reactalight.

Anyway £470 WITH my NHS diabetic discount 😆

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

What are they iGlasses? :wacko:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Picked the specs up today and I’m mostly doing OK with them. Having some issues getting the reading part just right and my smudge-tastic fingers leave great big smears on the lenses, emollients and specs aren’t good friends. :negative:

The difference in the distance view is nuts, like going from VHS to 4K quality.

Time will tell if I can put up with the varifocals or not but so far I’m optimistic. :good:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Time will tell if I can put up with the varifocals

Until you get used to them be careful walking down stairs, and things like reaching for a glass of water on a table.Varifocals can totally screw up your ability to judge distances accurately!

The danger area is where an object is somewhere on the margin between the ‘distance’ and ‘close’ parts of the lens. You need to build in muscle memory to move your head down/up in such circumstances rather than just moving your eyes.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Until you get used to them be careful walking down stairs, and things like reaching for a glass of water on a table.Varifocals can totally screw up your ability to judge distances accurately!

They warned me about the distance judgement issue and I found out first hand when I nearly dumped a Guinness all over myself in the Legion! Very strange for the first few hours.

I was also warned not to drive in them for at least a week.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,966

Don’t those glasses make you feel sick ?

I only really need glasses for distance but I was doing some fine work and I thought some magnifying would be good. Nope, just made me giddy 😆

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Don’t those glasses make you feel sick ?

Not at all. Getting about on my crutches was difficult for the first few hours though, had to use my toes to double check my foot position on uneven surfaces.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.