How to connect Windows XP to broadband

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk How to connect Windows XP to broadband

This topic contains 40 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Monkey Shoulder
    Participant
    @monkeyshoulder

Hello again. Sorry if I only come on here with problems. Here is another one for you. I have an old computer, ( Athlon 64 X2, ASUS m2n32-sli, 2gb ddr2, etc) which I have given a new hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP. I don’t think it can handle even Windows 7, so XP it is. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to want to connect to the internet, so I can’t update it, or even activate it.
    When I click on internet explorer (IE6) all I get is “the page cannot be displayed” – cannot find server. But I am connected directly via an ethernet cable to a Virginmedia Netgear Super Hub which is working perfectly well as I type this, ( on my other computer, which is a bit more up to date).
    I’ve tried googling a solution but I can’t find anything that works. I’ve tried calling Virgin technical help but they say they don’t support windows XP. Can you guide me through this or point me at a website that can?

Philosophy is the new rock and roll.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,104

Thank you, Duke, Ed, Dave, Bob, Les, Richard, dwynnehugh and wasbit.

You’re welcome Monkey S! A long time ago, in a Galaxy far away (Micro Mart magazine days) 😆, I was wont to use the MM Forum only when I wanted something: usually it was a cry for help with a PC or other device. Eventually it became more than just a computer forum, but when MM closed, and Lee set up the much better Forumite, it became a home from home and the advice, on all sorts of issues, just keeps coming, as do the (often lively) debates. There are guys here that I now count as mates, although I have never met them in person. I have had a lot of invaluable assistance from lots of Forumites over the years.

Cheers, Bob.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Monkey Shoulder
    Participant
    @monkeyshoulder
    Forumite Points: 47

John, thank you very much for your input, but my problem is that IE6 will not connect to the internet. How do I get IE8 onto the machine without a disc? Do you want me to burn an “iso” or something? You are going to have to take me through this step by step! Hold on.
    I’ve just checked and I do have USB capability. It reads a stick. Will that be enough? How much space do I need? Hmm. . . about 500Mb. . . OK  I’ve downloaded it to my “good” PC,  (Win 10). . . and now I have XP SP3.zip. should I just transfer it to a USB stick and open it with the old PC?  Sorry, I’m out of my depth here. I’m not stupid. I just don’t know what to do.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,360

If you have a DVD burner it is relatively easy to make these bootable and an SP3 iso will easily fit. If you do not have a DVD burner a USB connected DVD burner is relatively cheap.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Ed P.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,604

It’s not an ISO they are standard files in a standard folder with executables.

At the moment you only have a link for SP3 and it’s 546mb you would double click
    on the WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU Application to open.

This is in a folder named SP3

s it’s bigger than 500mb you could create a folder on your XP rig (name it SP3), then copy parts out my SP3 folder (once Downloaded) bits at a time onto your USB and copy the bits to your new folder.

eg: Copy WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU Application (it’s only 316mb) to your XP3 folder.

Then delete it off your USB and copy the rest out my SP3.

Or burn it to a CD/DVD

Once that’s done I will send a lik for IE8

IE8 is 16mb self extracting file (double Click) I think it takes files off the net (to my knowledge it still does)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I am thinking you are on a rig to get to this thread, maybe not and you are on your mobile?

If you can’t get it, I can burn it to CD and post them to you.

I was thinking download would of been quicker

Cheers
    John

Monkey Shoulder
    Participant
    @monkeyshoulder

John,  I am working with my “new” PC which is Windows 10. I have copied your XP SP3 to a USB memory stick and opened it with the “old” Windows XP PC which has extracted the files and is presently installing SP3. . . Indeed it now claims to be Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP 3 in System Properties.  That was quick. It used to take ages! So all I need is a web browser and I can download antivirus, windows updates and  all that. Thank you, again.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Great stuff there is some other stuff XP likes I will delete SP3 and send you a lnk for the others.

Other stuff with IE8

Cheers
    John

Monkey Shoulder
    Participant
    @monkeyshoulder

Gosh! It works! I have IE8, but it seems reluctant to connect to microsoft.com
    What am I to do with the .Net stuff?

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

As for connecting to M$ you may need to search Windows XP update agent and see what’s available.

Some programs (you may install) rely on net stuff and won’t install. I have always installed the net stuff on each XP install just incase.

Cheers
    John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Do not get disappointed if John’s files do not work at all. Remember that any drivers need to be both installed and registered (not a trivial exercise), and that other than stand-along programs all programs need a zillion registry entries in different places in the registry. Remember also that dlls need to be registered – etc etc.

I will not say that John’s collection of files will not work, but I’ll be amazed if they do!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Ed P.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

. I will not say that John’s collection of files will not work, but I’ll be amazed if they do!

They have always worked for me, last used this year.

I am tempted to install XP (on rig 2) to see how far I get.

Not sure if it can see SSD though.

Cheers
    John

Monkey Shoulder
    Participant
    @monkeyshoulder

Well, they seem to have worked for me. After downloading and running everything John sent to me Windows told me that it was XP SP3, and IE 8 enabled me to get limited access to the internet, but I could not connect to Microsoft websites. I then had a secondary problem, in that my mouse stopped working, but I think that’s an unrelated issue.
    After a couple of restarts, “Automatic Updates” offered  me KB898461, a package installer, and so I installed it. Then the floodgates opened and windows update offered me 128 security updates. This is what I remember from the last time, this is why reinstalling XP used to take so long! I accepted them all, on the assumption that it was a security issue that was preventing my access to some websites. After about half an hour it was done, but IE 8 still could not connect to Microsoft! (How is it connecting to Windows update?). I tried installing Chrome, and ah-ha, now I can look at Microsoft Support. I installed Firefox as well, (Version 52.3 ESR edition) and that seems to work too. Next restart, Auto Update wants to install .Net 3.5 and stuff… this myth that support for XP ended four years ago is nonsense.
    I’ve got a few more things to sort out, but it’s beginning to look a lot like christmas.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,139

Support has ended for it. There are no security updates, remember what happened earlier in the year with all that ransom ware in the NHS etc?

There are wide open security holes in it that AV will not plug.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,478

Did you know that MS unexpectedly released a malware patch for XP in 2017 ?

Its KB4012598 and you can get it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55245

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,139

Yes I did but it was far too late, the damage was done. It was to allow repairs to be undertaken. What will be the next exploit?

It’s still not a good idea to have an XP machine going anywhere near the internet. Businesses that still need to run XP machines have them heavily protected, the same way you would treat a Secret Network in the defence world.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

It’s dead people, and those of you on 7 have 13 months before it goes the same way.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,478

To be honest I wouldn’t even connect an XP machine to my home network anymore. As a stand alone bit of fun though I still had one until last year, running a P3 1Ghz  “Copper mine” and an FX5600 Graphics card.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I run an XP in a VM sand-box i.e.no Internet Connection, but tbh most things seem to work in Win7

John I’m still amazed that your SP3 collection works I guess the executables must be installation modules..

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Support has ended for XP meaning no more new stuff, I was sure you could still update the 128
    just couldn’t remember (the path) how to get their, you found the path Monkey.

I stopped using XP after suggestions on here.

I won’t be re trying XP, now that my stuff still works, I am not as amazed as Ed but great stuff.

At least you achieved full filling your original ambition Monkey, to connect to the internet.

Not sure about activation, I may recall M$ no longer accept activation with XP, via the internet.
    As for phoning they may say no more.

Cheers
    John

Monkey Shoulder
    Participant
    @monkeyshoulder

Not sure about activation, I may recall M$ no longer accept activation with XP, via the internet. As for phoning they may say no more.

John,  there was no problem, XP “activated” without a qualm. Once the first 128 updates installed another 23 updates turned up the following day. I do understand Ed and Dave’s concerns about XP, but once I’ve got it working again I promise not to surf the internet with it.
    Cheers

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Jolly Good it activated.

It doesn’t hurt to dabble and tinker to sort it out, it shows it’s still alive.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love