HP Stream Notebook PC II

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk HP Stream Notebook PC II

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

HP Stream Notebook PC II

Windows 8.1 X64 2.16Ghz CPU 2GB Ram 21GB SSD 2 Core.

A message appears Low Disk Space, the HD only has 20mb free space, I cleaned it and uninstalled a few programs (not required) It now has 1.07GB free space.

Well chuffed I put it on this morning, Windows has updated I have lost about 700mb and now down to 300mb of free disk space up 280 from the original that’s going to be used over time and Low Disk Space willbe back.

This is a long running problem and I have cleaned it several times, I did once have a question on the forum about changing the HD (no chance) so what can I remove to make way and keep free disk space. That Windows can eat on the next update.

Looking what else I can uninstall is it safe to remove these.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,748

It sounds like the windows update is being kept in storage, after the update has gone through ( or it’s keeping a copy of the old set up ). It may be that there is a setting in the update/security section that deletes either the old after the new has been installed, or deletes the update files when completed, thus keeping your larger free space.

Dave would probably know better than me for specifics.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,400

Thanks JayCee I will probe in settings.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,216

Can you connect a large USB stick or drive? Windows update can use an external storage option for its temporary files.

If not, let Windows select what is safe to delete by using Disk Cleanup

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,578

If you tick the clean system files box in disk clean up then it will remove all the update files that Windows keeps after an update but you then won’t be able to roll back the update.

You may have to run disk clean up once to make the clean system files box appear and then again with it ticked. Don’t ask me why 🤔

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Just to add to Wheels comment, old update files can be 1-3Gb in size!

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

Thanks for the tips, There is no box to tick (Windows 8.1) on disk cleanup sys files. I did run sys files it took forever but came up with no old files.

Ed to ad a USB is ok for me, but it’s not mine and when they place it in the carry bag they need to unplug it. I feel it wouldn’t get used for the purpose.

Since having it it had 20mb of free disk space, I got it to 1.7GB since Windows update it now only has 300mb of free space, it seems I’m not going to get anymore other than (if it’s safe) to uninstall (asked asked above) but is it safe or are they needed.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

The USB drive is only used for the update nothing more. If you run the Disk Manager now and delete the system files that should give you a gig or so. If you don’t want to do that remove HP documentation but that will be at most tens of Mb, as to the rest of the HP carp – no idea, but I would not remove it unless I owned the notepad.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

I never did get to grips with Win 8, I avoided it as much as possible.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

Thanks Ed

It maybe 6 months a time when low disk space returns so it’s not with me on monthly updates.

Dave not my choice either.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link