Forumite

HP Warning – we will kill your drive after 32,768 hours of operation, unless – !

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk HP Warning – we will kill your drive after 32,768 hours of operation, unless – !

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

A scary warning from HP which made me wonder where I stood with my OEM drives!

Ats Technica article

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,707

Apologies, I made a complete Ars of myself. The Link goes of course to El Reg and not Ars

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,707

Good job I read the article. It prompted me to run CrystalDiskInfo, and one of my larger drives is now in the yellow! I need to see if there is an opportunity to replace it with a larger drive and rationalise some vm storage/backups.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,807

Thanks, whilst I suspect not affected in the slightest, I checked and noticed one of my SSDs (both Crucial) had out of date firmware, and since I use Linux, I had to get the bootable iso to update, which is tiny and not interactive.

I also didn’t backup, so scared the living crap out of myself whilst I set it off to update.

Fortunately, all went well and the drive is updated and fine.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!