Huawei P20 pro

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Huawei P20 pro

This topic contains 42 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

The Duke
    @sgb101

Just took delivery of said phone. It’s err really good, camera is fantastic and it feels quick, and the design is really nice.

However it lacks something. In under 10 mins I decided it wasn’t for me, so I offered it the wife. She gave it 20 mins and said no. So back it goes .

I need a new phone as my pixel, has got a nasty habit of rebooting iteslf about 4 times a day. It got an update this morning, which has mad it even worse!

Think ill save myself a ton of money and get the next moto g.

I’m a little sad as the P20p is really nice. Though got a lot of Huawei apps preinstalled. A shock for me as I’ve been on the pixel and nexus wagon for a long time. Bit give it has 128gb storage, it wouldn’t bother me.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

Battery is very good indeed a full 9h of streaming now tv. Two footy games and the F1. Total battery usage 80%

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,195

I need to find out if you can disable the ‘beauty ‘ mode that it defaults too. Makes you look like you have makeup on. It’s very aggressive. Very naff.

If it’s using the same app as the Honor 9, it’s one of the buttons on the top of the screen. Dead centre on the Honor

The Duke
    @sgb101

I uninstalled dog catcher off both phones and had no crash issues on both since Saturday!

I got a clear case for the P20p and it immediately transformed it into a more manageable phone.

Also I should add, Im really really liking the built in extras in the is. The majority is useful. The skin itself is yuck, very ios, but ten mins in nova changed that.

It’s growing on me. Hospital appointment today, so that means I can disappear and test the camera.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 760

I very nearly got one at weekend. I currently have a P9+, and in the cold light of day, I couldn’t see that the P20 would offer me much over it.

Margarita Stine
    Participant
    @itsmargarita
    Forumite Points: 71

This phone looks so promising, people are saying that it is way better than iPhone X.

The Duke
    @sgb101

It depends what your after in a phone. If you like video capture, the p20p isn’t the phone for you. It sucks compared to most phones

Photos is great, especially low light. However no top to med tier phones from the past couple of years arnt exactly bad at that.

It’s a good phone, but has its flaws. Thr ui isn’t great either, it’s very ios rip off, so I used nova launcher to make it look more stock.

The os itself isn’t as pretty as stock, however has alot of generally useful features over stock.

Now I’ve got it in a (clear) case, and a proper tempered glass screen protector, it’s feeling a lot better in the hand. Also just received a skin in the post, that I’ll be putting on in a moment.

The Duke
    @sgb101

It depends what your after in a phone. If you like video capture, the p20p isn’t the phone for you. It sucks compared to most phones

Photos is great, especially low light. However no top to med tier phones from the past couple of years arnt exactly bad at that.

It’s a good phone, but has its flaws. Thr ui isn’t great either, it’s very ios rip off, so I used nova launcher to make it look more stock.

The os itself isn’t as pretty as stock, however has alot of generally useful features over stock.

Now I’ve got it in a (clear) case, and a proper tempered glass screen protector, it’s feeling a lot better in the hand. Also just received a skin in the post, that I’ll be putting on in a moment.

Update- skims on, it looks very nice now, way better than black. The two tone one is nice, but a tad girly for me

My wife, after being offered the P20p and refusing it, has been hinting that she likes it now!

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by The Duke.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

I still can’t justify spending twice as much on a phone as my i5 laptop with SSD.

However the phone is taking over as a “quick and dirty” work tool as well as a just about every other aspect of my life. Consequently the Moto G4 is starting to be a bit lacking in storage with the number of apps installed. It’ll be 2 years old in November, I may look again then. Best phone I’ve ever owned though, and that includes the 1+1.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Dropped wife off in town earlier with my eldest, she just walked In with the blue P20 (non pro) and it’s stunning and a far better size  than the pro.

I’m hating the front figure print button, luckly you don’t need it much as the camera logs you in 9 out of 10 times. Even works in the dark! Though that 1/10 times when I need to use the figure print scanner it’s just not well placed and I don’t think as good as on my old two phones.

I think the htc desire is my favourite all time phone, followed closely by the 1 plus one and the pixel 1. Every time I pick up the pixel, it just feels right. Though this p20 p is growing on me.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Well, my plan to get one died with the death of my tablet the other day, so the money had to go on a new tablet instead 🙁

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

On the road, tablets are very close to replacing a laptop for me . However the apps are not as feature rich, and more importantly just not stable enough. Sometimes though they do present a new twist on the solution that just doesn’t work on other formats.

One winner, the £85 IT UK 10.1″ 1280*800 IPS Quad Core Android Lollipop Tablet mounted on a £23 ZenCT Tablet Stand (both from Amazon) have been doing a sterling job of viewing the new CCTV system we put into the Legion. A swipe of the finger and they flick through the cameras, mostly to see who’s hitting the buzzer on the front door or who’s missus has turned up outside to pick up a pissed hubby 😉

The police have already downloaded footage of a wake that turned nasty…

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Mine is mainly used for reading the Metro on the train in the morning, playing Sudoku on the train in the evening, and generally entertaining myself during my after work beer. I settled on a Samsung Tab A (2016) this time, which is certainly up to the job for what I need.

Also got a genuine purpose built Samsung case, and much as I hate to say it, the extra cost seems to be well worth it. Much tidier than 3rd party cases, and has a (as far as I can see) unique stand mechanism which doesn’t involve having folding bits on the screen when closed and leaving an unsightly mess of smears on it. (My fingers still leave the mess, but hey ho).

The Duke
    @sgb101

As the sun came out and I was also out, I thought I’d go and test the camera out on this. The zoom is very good.

Also the low aperture shooting (f 0.95) is just amazing.

The 40mp shooter is good, but it’s better in 10mp mode as you can use the optical zoom to just as good effect. Well suppose that’s shot dependant

I’ll add some night shots when I get round to takes some decent ones. I’ve done some testing and it’s very very good, but took nothing I’d share.

Link to the pics in full res.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FEVDcSxtEc0BwnD12

The Duke
    @sgb101

Went to London and back yesterday, do I took some night shot, with night one on and off and added them in my p20 p test album.

Nothing special just hand held snaps, but some great outcomes. The nights shots are second to no other phone atm.

Also found a load of other shot options in the menu, I’ll have to test out eventually.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 874

AV Forums have a review on the P20 Pro – if anyone is thinking of one.:)

The Duke
    @sgb101

Here is a cracker I took on the P20 p earlier. Zero editing on my behalf.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BbHhdUe1aRfSGRhu1

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,368

Is that in portrait mode?

The 5T has a portrait mode but it takes a bit too long for it sort itself out, no good for quick snaps but if the subject is willing to wait about 20 seconds then it works very well.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

Yes that was. 0.95 aperture. It works as quick as normal mode on this device. It’s really impressive, in the camera department.

It’s video is ok at best. Probably putting it down. It’s very good, but up there with the pixel and it’s contemporaries.

How is the video on the 5t? On the one plus one, it was it’s weakest part. Though one of the first with 4k shooting, the colours was neon. Though I don’t do any video shooting so it never bothered me.

Here is the same shot in photo mode.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4kp1ntHvCidotknm1

And in bank and white mode. It has a monochrome sensor

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tt43HOTwJYaZCLuz2

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,368

Just to make sure, portrait mode, not the orientation of the phone? In portrait mode on the 5T you can see it picking up faces, backgrounds and other stuff. I keep forgetting it takes a while to do it’s thing.

The video on the 5T is superb, IMO. I’ll get some video links up tomorrow hopefully, watching the Cardiff Blues being beaten by fricking Gloucester in the Challenge Cup final, half time so plenty of time left.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

Yes, portriat as in focal lenght, for a shallow depth (or not). The P20p goes down to f0.95

Though there must be some trickery going on digitaly as I reckok the spec is F1.8 or maybe 1.6. So some magic is happening to get it down to 0.95.

Either way it works well.

I have an album linked above with a few test shots in from this phone. I’ll link it below. This phones really party piece is low light. It was also the pixels, but this takes it two steps higher.

After all my gushing about this phone, I still don’t really like it as much as I did my last handful of phoens. It’s not stock, and I find it’s more buggy than my past few phones.

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love