Forumite

Humax Hdd Format.

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music TV Humax Hdd Format.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I have asked something similar before. I have a Humax HDR-1100S and I want to replace it with a Fire TV setup. There are some recordings on the Humax that I want to keep and I would like to know if there is any way of putting them on an external Hdd.

I can take out the Humax Hdd easily: watched a YT video and it looks quite easy to do, which surprised me. Replacing it with a new Hdd is also easy, although it has to be a Hdd that can deal with video streams. The Humax itself  will format the new Hdd and it will make no difference. Therein lies the crunch: Humax obviously has proprietary hard- and software that deals with that process, setting up and formatting with a proprietary format type that I would need to know. I envisage placing the Hdd from the Humax in an Ext Hdd, formatting that with the Humax format, and transferring Humax recordings to the desktop or another Ext Hdd.

My questions are: *how to discover the Humax Format? *does the process I outlined above, seem doable if I can find the correct format? I have looked everywhere and no one seems to know the answers. SD recordings are easy enough, I can use a USB drive. But there are a lot of HD recordings on there.

Naturally, not asking for any advice which might be illegal, but any suggestions are welcome. SWMBO will thank you, I have nothing left on the Humax that interests me.???

EDIT: one (Aussie) forum seems to think that the Format type is FAT 32. I also had a thought: what if I took out the Humax Hdd and installed it into my old 3.5″ case, then had a poke around on the desktop from it?

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

AFAIK it’s just the usual Linux EXT3 format but the video files are encrypted.

I believe it has a DLNA server built in, I wonder if you may be able to hook VLC into that and have it record the stream to a file.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Thanks Dave, looking into that.

Something here, chasing it up: –    https://tinyurl.com/yxz4hmlj

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,499

Bob as an alternative – if you are not that @rsed about quality then you could use the composite (red/white audio and yellow video) connectors to capture to a PC using a USB capture device. There are a couple of HDMI adapters on the same page – but probably overkill for a one-off and may need to the use of a (very cheap) HDMI splitter to handle HDCP.

As an aside If any of the recordings are recent and from BBC or ITV then you can download directly from a PC using get_iplayer (BBC only) or you-tube-dl (BBC and ITV).

As another aside just checked on my Linux (Enigma2) receiver and none of the recordings (HD or SD) are encrypted – which was nice!

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 565

Lots of hits with “save humax files to pc”

From the HVP-500T manual (in case yours is the same)

File Share
    • SAMBA Server: When SAMBA Server is set to On, the internal HDD can be accessed as a network disk drive from your PC. You can copy the video, music, photo files in the internal HDD
    to the PC storage.
    • FTP Server: When FTP Server is set to On, you can copy the video, music, photo files in the internal HDD to the PC storage using the FTP client programme.
    • Password: If Password is set, you can access the internal HDD only by entering the password.
    • Download Folder: When Download Folder is set to Enable, you can copy the video, music, photo files in the PC to the download folder in the internal HDD.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

Copying the files only gets us as far as the encryption. People I have seen doing this use it to backup the Humax or free up storage on the box.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That’s the problem, as Dave says, encryption of the HD recordings. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice though guys. I will try them, but encrypted HD is the barrier. Meanwhile SWMBO had better begin binge- watching! I cba about anything left on the box. It’s an HDR-1100 S btw and is apparently a legal requirement of Humax to encrypt HD channels. Some enterprising soul may have found a way around that but I have not found THEM!</p>
    Many thanks for the input.

--- Robin Williams

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,438

Depending on the shows and films, they may already be available on the Fire Stick, or through the catchup services. If you want, list them here and I’ll see if they’re available 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image