Forumite

I in hospital

HOME Forums Health and Well being Ailments I in hospital

This topic contains 60 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

A bit bored sitting on the bed in hospitahospitalq after having heart attack

Cheers
    John

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

It’s a Doc Martin clone and they weren’t sure it would be suitable, but they managed it (the raise is basically a wedge in the heel).

Does that make your calf muscle ache on that leg at all, Dave?? Years ago I tried a pair of very fashionable Chelsea boots, with a platform sole and a chunky raised heel.  They killed me for about 6 weeks before I gave up. I truly do not know how women can wear stilettos!!!

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

The pain sounds awfully familiar and I suspect that it could be at least in part from the back, or more exactly the spine. I had tramadol for the back pain before my operation but I found it had no discernable effects at all. Perhaps that is related to my abreaction to some tablets. It neither controlled the pain nor made me feel light headed or any of the other effects people are said to feel – and the rest of the family (including the dog who was then dying of cancer rather more happily and comfortably) tend to exhibit when taking the tablets. My problem was spinal stenosis cured by a spinal operation to relieve the compression and ‘wedging’ the vertebra to let the leg nerves out. The spine was all but totally crushed on the MRI images and I was given the 8 hour warning; ‘if you get these symptoms you have up to 8 hours to get an operation before you are dead‘ warning. You could well have something similar trapping the nerves to the leg, if the vertebra are canted over, (though without the dramatic warning!). The vertebra pinch the nerves where they emerge to go into the leg. Before the operation I would sometimes ‘sleep’ in very short stretches as the leg pain blasted through again and again with no relief position that I ever found. Since the operations and injections strategically timed physio really helped me to correct my standing and walking posture errors with very beneficial effects.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 2,412

Thanks all,I am back on the Desktop couldn’t be doing much on the mobile allthough it was NHS free wifi.

Dave still trying to get the pad marks off, still taking it easy including not much at the rig.

Thanks again

catch ya soon.

Cheers
    John

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

There are two possible causes of those marks in my book, either it is where they were stuck on and you have adhesive residue. Surgical spirit can help with that. Otherwise it it is the under skin bruising and arnica is said to help with gentle massage. I believe it is the massage that does the trick. Looking on the bright side if that is the sum total of your worries today then you are doing well and welcome back. This is the important time so follow the instructions to the letter and accept all help – from skilled qualified sources.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,371

Glad to see you’re home John. Let them spoil you for a couple of days ?

It’s the marks from the sticky heart monitor pads. You start with a 13 pad monster that even has a pad on your ankle (looks at circulation I believe) and gradually go down the scale as their confidence in your recovery increases. They regularly remove and reattach them and boy are they sticky!

I didn’t resort to chemical help, the worst comes off straight away, just a few days of soap and water in the shower gets rid of the ever fading circles.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Welcome back John. As said above, nothing is more important than getting better ( not just back on your feet, there’s a difference 🙂 ) Good luck and take it easy.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I had to notify my car insurance that I had heart attack and can’t drive for 4 weeks (according to the info sheets).

This I did and was asked what the doctor said (I said 4 weeks) after 4 weeks I need to notify the insurance when the doctor says it’s safe to drive.

The doctor never said to me I couldn’t drive, it seems I need my doc to say it’s safe I am getting confused, I just read the leaflet.

Also I think the insurance has now took insurance off me (for 4 weeks) does that mean I get an extra month at the end ie runs out April will it now be May

Cheers
    John

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

They regularly remove and reattach them and boy are they sticky!

They come in graduated strengths, for adults they are stronger than for new born babies where they are for ever falling off after a few hours, There they cannot be strong for fear of pulling the skin off. I does give you a jolt when they fall off and all hell breaks loose for a few seconds when the machines spot a possible flat line situation. Then you learn to take it a bit more steadily and react in a more measured way each time it happens. They leave virtually no residue, but the baby can get marked under the skin.

As Dave said it is a cosmetic thing with adults and either way the marks will wear/wash off or fade with time. Some people are more intolerant of them than others. It is a personal choice thing in the end.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

Cosmetic except when the Staff Nurse rips them off. Then it is b-painful!

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Our son was 7 1/2 weeks prem and they had all sorts of problems monitoring his heartbeat. In the labour ward, the ‘belt’ monitor kept slipping off the lump and when he was out the wires attached to the pad were dodgy. The nurse was trying to re-connect the wires using scissors, but kept cutting, instead of stripping. All this time the wife kept asking why she couldn’t hear the heartbeat on the monitor, with voice and panic levels increasing. I told the nurse that I was an engineer, took the wires and scissors off her and reconnected them. Beeps back on line. Got a strange look off the nurse and a big thanks off the wife!!

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Our 31 week baby was in the central children’s hospital of the area in Japan. The treatment was good but very standardised, three washes and changes of footwear to get into the intensive care treatment room. The equipment was fine but the sticky pads were carefully graduated to the baby so they fell of rather than taking the skin off. They reasoned that changing a pad was less intrusive than skin repairs, I tended to agree! With some on the infants the skin was so thin you could basically see through the outer layers. All in all a very tense time so JayCeeDee, I understand how your wife must have felt. My wife was in another, adults women’s  hospital several miles away after emergency surgery, so that was one source of initial stress that could be handled in a more controlled manner. ‘Everything is fine’ being the order of the day until she was discharged a couple of weeks later and could visit our daughter.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

That’s the best way to manage wives – at a distance – for their sanity and our safety!!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Welcome back john, at home and on the Forum again! Hope you are well cared for until you can be properly back on your feet.

Doubt that the Insurance will extend you that month though, They usually turn things like that to their advantage. No harm in looking up your policy, getting their number and asking though.

Just behave yourself for a bit, lay back and take it easy. Maybe ask for a Dietician appointment to give you advice about what to eat and advise whether your current diet is OK. Had one the other day, big help to know what I should be eating. Things must have changed, as there were some surprises, including crisps and chocolate (in moderation). I can have an occasional glass of white wine too.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Bob

It was worth a try with insurance, but I have thought it’s still covered for theft etc so in that there wouldn’t be any saving.

I am changing my usual life style got myself an air fryer that’ll stop the oil/s.

Wine is a no no, in fact I only drink coffee and I only have 1 spoon of sugar a day, (no alcohol)

Cheers
    John

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 565

So glad you’re up & about.

Take it easy ….. but not too easy.

🙂

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Take it easy ….. but not too easy. ?

Thanks Will do ….. lots

Cheers
    John

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,438

I had to notify my car insurance that I had heart attack and can’t drive for 4 weeks (according to the info sheets). This I did and was asked what the doctor said (I said 4 weeks) after 4 weeks I need to notify the insurance when the doctor says it’s safe to drive. The doctor never said to me I couldn’t drive, it seems I need my doc to say it’s safe I am getting confused, I just read the leaflet. Also I think the insurance has now took insurance off me (for 4 weeks) does that mean I get an extra month at the end ie runs out April will it now be May

Good to see you back John 🙂

After my transplant I spoke to my doctor to see if there was any reason that I couldn’t ride my motorbike, other than the obvious scarring etc., and they said after the initial few weeks I was fine as long as I felt ok. Next time you’re in for a checkup, just have a chat with the doctor. They may be able to give you a letter too.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Tippon wrote:

Next time you’re in for a checkup, just have a chat with the doctor. They may be able to give you a letter too.

True, Ryan and they do that at my surgery. But GP’s also charge for letters now, so check cost of that John, should not be much.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks

I don’t think I need a letter, I have to phone insurance once I get the go ahead.

It will be November before my next consultation, after the 4 weeks (off road) so I have to see my GP about driving.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

That is about when I should finish my last Chemo session John, and hopefully receive some good news from the last scans.*

I hope you receive similar good news, keep on trucking mate!

*Always the Optimist, I have booked 2x Tribute Band concerts for SWMBO and I at the Embassy Theatre Skegness. First is a Moody Blues Tribute (love their music, got loads of good vinyl and CD stuff) a week on Friday, my week after from Session 5.

http://tinyurl.com/yc3kd5v7

Second is either a celebration or losing my Blues (Sorry!) in loud Oldphart 60’s Rock’n’Roll music: “Solid 60’s Experience”

http://tinyurl.com/ybsd9dvz

Lots of Oldphart Blues included from one of my favourite British Blues & Soul guys: Chris Farlowe, old mate of the Stones, Otis and Wilson Pickett. (How could he not pick up good stuff from those artistes?)

He staggers onstage with an outsize belly, picks up the mike and blows my mind every time. His version of the old Otis Redding hit “Mr Pitiful” is an experience.

https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B0773XHWBC?trackAsin=B0773VBGYM&ref=dm_sh_ce3b-202e-dmcp-9442-4031d&musicTerritory=GB&marketplaceId=A1F83G8C2ARO7P

Hope the second show is a celebration, good luck with your recovery John!

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image