I need an iThing

HOME Forums Tech Apple Talk I need an iThing

This topic contains 30 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

There’s 4 words I never thought I’d be uttering.

I’m coming across more and more customers with iThings and they all seem to know bugger all about them. I don’t know a lot either so I often struggle to know if it’s an iProblem or an app issue.

So do I need an iPhone (I’ll never use as a phone) or will an iPad do just as well? What’s the minimum iOS level (and so therefore I assume the cheapest) I can get away with without risking becoming quickly deprecated? It’s going to be second hand whatever it is.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 890

I don’t know a lot either so I

use one of these ……… if asked for assistance.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Boris.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,567

I don’t know alot about them, other than they keep them updated for about 5 years. So I’d be looking at a 2 gen old ipad mini. The mini is the cheapest entry into the ecosystem. Also the best form factor imo

You’d get 3 years out of it. Or untill you break it.

I’m looking at maybe getting a 3 gen old full size ipad (not pro), for a epos till. You can use android tabs, but then hardware compatibility comes into the mix, and most of the stuff out there is ios aimed.

Though may get a proper stand alone epos system (swings and roundabouts) Still not decided. passed my quals yesterday Dave, so it’s all steam ahead now!

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,147

got an ipad for work (not for long – 5 weeks and counting) and it is very easy to navigate as a long term android user – by comparison don’t know if its the form factor but have always struggled with iphones (other peoples ) that are broadly the same OS.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

Steve, the standalone epos units might be available from which ever bank you deal with for nothing up front and a small % per transaction. When I worked in retail they were known as PDQ, Pretty Damn Quick was the slang and they mostly were, if they fell over it was a bitch having to drag out the old manual credit card device. Always happened around Christmas. 🙄

The steward at the legion makes a LOT of money from selling coffee and soft drinks at big events in Wales, the Royal Welsh and the like, but needed a permanent job when he moved last time to satisfy the mortgage company. He uses a wifi direct device which is linked to an iPhone 5, I think, which is literally locked to the biggest fridge he has, that’s if there is no landline connection.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

Cheers pm, I’ll look into that. Just taking over a pub, and need a note upto date till. The one we have is pronaly 20 years old half the buttons broken, have no idea how to program any changes. And is usless. Want something that will track stock and do the day to day books for me.

Been looking at a free ipad based systems and proper epos systems. They all come out around the same price. Around 800. Though a few companies will do it over 12 months, for the full systems. And an ipad system can be cheaper that the 8 if you have, or source your own ipad. Iirc they need to be able to run ios 12. (i may be wrong in thr os revision, I know noting of I devices.)

Never thought of contacting my bank (or a few others) to see if they offer  Anything.

Sorry Dave I hijacked your thread. I’ll step out now. Cheers pm.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

Nice one Steve.

Hik-Connect needs ios8 or later, so to be safe with support it looks like I need an iPad Mini 2nd Gen at minimum.

I’ve found refurbished, 1 years warranty, new charging cable, iPad Mini 2 and Air are the same price– 16GB – WiFi – Grade A for £130 32GB for £150, 64GB £195.

I’m thinking 32GB is +£20 well spent but +£65 for 64GB is a bit much. The question now is the form factor. The mini will definitely be easier to shove in the rucksack.

When I think what a fantastic brand new Huawei Mediapad T5 I got for the same price for the Legion’s CCTV monitor. Still hopefully it’ll pay for itself in the long run.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 933

Just out of interest, the Mini is no longer the cheapest option into the iOS world anymore (if you’re buying new at least). Newest iPad Mini is more expensive than the iPad (£399 Vs £319).

Generally most apps now are universal so will run on both iPhone and iPad. However, iPad can often download the iPhone app and run at 2x view (or windowed 1x view). Some apps are specific iPhone and iPad only (which can be a pain, but as the app store doesn’t really support upgrades, it was how developers kept the lights on).

If you’re not using it much, 32GB should be fine – probably even 16GB at a push if you’re not installing much. Never got all the hate from those that say the 16GB iPhone and iPad are to small – my work iPhone has a number of apps on (only really essentails), images and music and it’s not complaining about being full. However, my personal iPhone is a 128GB version but then that has most of my music with me and podcasts and audiobooks…

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Steve, about half way down the wikipedia page is a table showing ipad models and the level of ios they support.

iPad up to and inc 4th Gen and the mini 1st Gen are the only ones out of support. Everything else can take ios12.

Looking at John Lewis, the 10″ 32GB iPad 2018 is £320 which makes a refurbished Grade A Air @ £150 look like a viable proposition. I can’t imagine epos will need any cpu muscle at all.

Just thinking about redundancy, it may be an idea to get two and use one as the local CCTV monitor so it can be quickly brought into action if the till goes down. There are plenty of ways we can quickly bring another CCTV monitoring device into action but you need a till or there’s nothing for the cameras to monitor 😱

Having said that there are CEX stores in Rhyl and Bangor for emergencies.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,295

Just taking over a pub…………………..

Good luck with the pub, Steve!! Did the Missus reckon it was better you worked there, than drank there??? Whichever, I hope it works out well for you all.

Dave’s comment in the iThing thread about a camera on the till ( but not just there ) is very true, especially if you’re out and about on hospital runs etc. At least you had the right idea in getting the kids trained up in food and hospitality – it’ll stand you in good stead when you need emergency staff!!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Camera plan is sorted. No, I was thinking about using an iPad as the local CCTV monitoring device as it could be quickly re purposed into a till should the till fail.

There are any number of ways we could quickly replace the CCTV monitoring device. Indeed there will be more than one to start with as remote monitoring is very high up Steve’s list. Any half decent smart phone will do the job, which these days means even entry level, or a tablet like a Huawei MediaPad T3. The software is free.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Cheers John. It’s a strange story how I ended up with it. Drinking isn’t part of it. Lol

I think the epos softer apps just want ios 12 for security reasons/app suport etc.. Not hardware, as its only a glorified calcuater and spread sheet with a simplified ui. Has to be for there security’s on the card translation side. I dunno.

I like the sound of them minis for 150.

John as Dave said, the cctv set up can fall back to even my phone if it comes to it. All stored online, so it can’t be stolen or tampered with.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 701

try musicmagpie.co.uk referbed tech.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

Dave, I assume that you will be exploring commercial apps from reputable publishers and not home-brew stuff. (Difficult and expensive for developers to keep up with new Apple hardware). The ios side of it is easy, apple releases new ios software FOC. Most of the time this software works on fairly old Apple kit. (I have an iPad mini that is now about 6 years old and still updating). However, Apple do from time to time have a CPU upheaval and one looks in the offing. At this time Apple will only do security releases on the old CPU for a period of time.

I guess it depends how much future proofing you need, but my advice would be to purchase a cheap iPad mini from IJT or similar. If you find you have to support the newest Apple hardware, bite the bullet at that time.

What I would say is that Apple plays very badly in the IoT area due to its heavily curated hardware especially BlueTooth. My son uses a Pi to act as an interface between Apple and (say) the Google world, he would probably do the same in the security camera world to avoid paying the Apple hardware tax!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

That’s the way I’m thinking ED. It’s more to bone up on the Apple world rather than anything else but of course I’d be looking at putting my utilities from the Android world on it as well as the consumer apps like Hik-Connect.

UniFi Network needs iOS 11, Hik-Connect and Manything Pro only 8. A quick look about and 11 is popular. I suspect native QR code scanning may have a lot to do with that. QR is proving very popular with consumer app configuration.

I think the Mini 2 is in the lead.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

ios12.2 is the latest. I’d see no point in regressing to an earlier version as that could well lack security fixes. Just buy a Pad and let it update. Probably the bigger choice is wifi only or one with 4G as there is a hefty price hike for the 4G. (I have wifi only and never missed the 4G, ditto my Apple developer  son who uses the things like smart channel changers, and media interfaces. I guess however you will need the 4G to fully test remote access.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I did think about cellular but I carry a 3 MyFi hotspot everywhere anyway. It’s got a 3 sim preloaded with 12GB that lasts 12  months, which is just about right. £40 from 3 direct, £28 from MyMemory

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

@Dave – you may want to read the Ars Article. They are guessing a new iPad is coming out today (West Coast time). Bad news of course is BIG £££s for the Apple Tax, better news is a slight reduction in second hand value for the older Pads.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 933

@Dave – you may want to read the Ars Article. They are guessing a new iPad is coming out today (West Coast time). Bad news of course is BIG £££s for the Apple Tax, better news is a slight reduction in second hand value for the older Pads.

In addition to the two updates to the iPad Air and iPad Mini they announced last week?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Drezha you are correct, not afaik in addition to those shown below – I’m just not keeping up with the Apple world. Today is likely to be their Netflix/Prime ‘rival’

See Business Insider

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

mini 2 ordered.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love