I5 2500k advice

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk I5 2500k advice

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit

Hey guys long time no see ( I do pop in from time to time have a mooch around)😉  anyways hope you all got home safe from  these firework displays.  Reason for my visit tonight is I think my mobo has died. I’m looking round eBay for a replacement as they don’t make them anymore ( P8P67)  cost more used than I payed new🤦🏻‍♂️ Just after some advice on boards? This Asus one has been great  but really would like to keep my cpu even my ram has its hardy been used believe it or not. And I don’t really want to start building a new one failing eyes and lack of interest now days ( never thought I’d see that day).  thanks for your time folks.

Spread the love
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

Long time no see 😀

E-Bay will be your only source I’m afraid, but it’s still going to be the cheapest way to get the PC going again. However you are buying 6 to 7 year old parts that are working now, but for how much longer?

You say you don’t fancy doing a new build, but a motherboard swap includes all the fiddliest bits anyway. You could have a look at some of the motherboard bundles about or a whole refurbished machine. Micro Dream have a Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF 3rd Gen Quad Core i5-3470 8GB 128GB SSD DVDRW Windows 10 for £229 and that’s very nippy.

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 24

Nice to your still a fountain of knowledge Dave😉.  I built this thing here with yours and Jason’s  help all them years ago for the family. Some no longer here and the outbreak of smartphones meant little use ( browsing and emails would you believe) just sentimental value is why I didn’t want to start again. But hey ho spose I’m going to have to 😂🤦🏻‍♂️.  Thanks for the info will look tonight after work 👍

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Things have changed quite a bit and all for the better. A modern Pentium will probably do 95% of things as fast as your old i5. SSDs are now available as small boards that go on the motherboard (M2) and are even faster again. Windows 10 Pro and Office 2016 for a tenner each from E-Bay isn’t dodgy any more.

Let us know what you want to do and a rough budget.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

If you really only want a PC for browsing and email, then an i5 is a bit of overkill. Any of the refurb desktops would do the job – Dell have a wide range of i3’s and include a 12 month warranty, but there are obviously other choices if you go down that route.

I excluded laptops as monitors are kinder on failing peepers!

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 24

Thanks guys don’t know why Dell fill me with dread. No budget Dave but these days I really do just browse difference being is now I don’t fool myself into wanting the bells and whistles.  Sorry for the late reply guys but works had me run ragged.

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 154

Windows 10 Pro and Office 2016 for a tenner each from E-Bay isn’t dodgy any more.

I got a 5 user licence for Office pro plus today for £6.99 on the bay updated 5 of the 6 office pcs and got a bonus off the boss. Winning

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Nice one Mark.

Dell: I know the feeling but as a straight “office” machine you don’t want to do anything to they are fine. Microdream do HP and Lenovo too and you can have the HDD swapped for an SSD for £30.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love