Forumite

i7 990X Early days

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk i7 990X Early days

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Got the i7 990X I said I ordered in the other stuff thread.

All went well and Windows booted on the second restart, 12 cores present and correct ?

Then I thought I would try a spot of overclocking by loading the optimised BIOS settings as a starting point.

From then on a no go, system got stuck at verifying the DMI pool. After much head sctatching and reading it turns out that the system verify’s the DMI pool against a disk file and the BIOS reset had returned the settings to IDE mode so it couldn’t see the AHCI disks. Hmmm ?.

Up and working now with the base clock raised from 133 to 160 with a times 26 multiplier. Much more playing to be done ?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,391

Keep us posted and some benchies if you can or a carp DIY video. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,252

Got an early result Keith. Hope it is below.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Damn. Not bad considering.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

An oldie but goodie. All at standard voltages too ?

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

My Score 5613 so again Damn. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

A funny thing.

I have been playing with a few overclocking settings an it seems that my RX 480 is holding back my PC mark 10 score. Upping my CPU base clock makes almost no difference but upping the GPU clock by a couple of notches gains me 150 points ?

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

As i am a fan of tinkering with older stuff i’m looking at an Nvidia GTX 1080 when the price comes down ?

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Speaking of old tech. My 8 year old Blue Ray drive has been increasingly flaky recently so I have ordered a recently reduced Pioneer UHD writer.

It may not actually play UHD Blue Rays though because it says I need a 7th Gen intel CPU for DRM reasons.

We shall see ?

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

An interesting thing (to me anyway ?) about the Westmere core is its power management. My overclocked i7930 ran at 3.9Ghz when idle and 4.1 at turbo, no lower. My i7990X is set for a 4.1 base but it drops to 1.2 at idle and it will boost to 4.3 on just 2 cores if the need arises. Must be good for the leccy bill ?

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Been watching it a bit more. It sneeks up to 4.4 on 2 cores under a stress test ?

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Also looks like I may need an HDMI 2.1 monitor for UHD. Any recomendations ? Got Power DVD Ultra so that SHOULD work. Who knows with drm ?

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

The DRM sounds phooey. Be cautious PDVD if it asks to update. PDVD is real sneeky. Yes, as I recall those RX480’s OC well. Its if they have 4GB of Gddr that lets them down. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, those 1080GTX are stonking.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I am still waiting for my first Ultra BluRay disc to arrive (Terminator 2 4K) so I have been looking into DRM in the meantime.

To play a 4K disc my whole system need to be HDCP 2.2 certified and below is a list of what needs to be compliant.

4k TV/Monitor with HDMI 2.1 or above.

Certified Graphis card and driver with HDMI 2.1

Certified OS (Windows 10 only really)

Certified player software ( Power DVD 10 OEM edition came with my drive )

Suitable BluRay drive.

I think I have all the above but won’t really know till I get a disc. I am willing to bet it won’t work first time though ๐Ÿ˜‚

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Great first ultra movie. I think Arnie has made some of the best films ever. Strange but true. Predetor also has to be in closs to the top. Matrix 2, Alien 2. I will never get over sigourneys small white pants in N01. I still wish she was my wife. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good job this is not an american forum or you all would think when I say pants means trousers.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

As I have still not got my first UHD Blu ray disc yet (I do have a firm delivery date of the 24th now) I have been looking at the DRM issue again.

Looks like a big no go. The onlyย  licenced and fully working player software on the market is Power DVD and they had to agree to a BIG demand from the Blu ray disc association to gain the licence.

Apparently the protected process and protected media streams of W10 are not good enough for the BDA and they have insisted the actual decription work is done inside an SGX enclave.

SGX is Software guard eXtensions and it is a new set of CPU instructions. SGX first appeared in Intel Kaby Lake processors in 2017 and the first mother boards that could make it work in 2018. If you don’t have those then Power DVD just won’t LET you play a UHD Blu ray.

Keymaster
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,413

If you donโ€™t have those then Power DVD just wonโ€™t LET you play a UHD Blu ray.

And they wonder why people still pirate…

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Did anyone notice I said INTEL Kaby Lake ?

If you happen to have a brand new AMD CPU then don’t even think about it because there aren’t any with SGX as of yet.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Wow. What utter BS by those with power.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I wrote above that when I reset my CMOS settings to default the system would not boot because it got stuck at verifying DMI pool. I also wrote that this was because the drive settings reverted to IDE instead of AHCI so the system could no longer see the drives and the DMI data was on a disc file so that was the problem. Well I was never quite happy with that explanation so I have looked further.

I was right about the IDE/AHCI thing but wrong about the disk file.

First off DMI is a bit wrong as it has been replaced by CIM anyway, what the system means is SMBIOS data pool. The SMBIOS gathers system configuration data during a bootย  and makes it available to an OS by putting it in a CIM formatted table and storing that near the top of the first 4MB of memory before handing control to the OS.

My BIOS does that thoroughly ONCE and stores the table in CMOS, on the next boot it just dose a quick verify of the data it has in CMOS and if all is well passes the CMOS data to the OS.

My problem was because of the IDE/AHCI mismatch. The main BIOS had reverted to IDE but the SMBIOS was still trying to get device information from an AHCI drive, which it never could, so I got stuck at verifying DMI pool. The simple solution is to do a CMOS reset which clears the DMI pool and forces the SMBIOS to do a rescan using BIOS settings.

Or just change the IDE/AHCI settings manually which is what I did ๐Ÿ˜‚

There is much more to the SMBIOS data and configuration mismatch problems but I am tired of typing ๐Ÿ˜€

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Oh yeh. On my system there is a difference between loading the CMOS defaults and clearing the CMOS. The default and optimum profiles are held in the BIOS flash ram along with 4 others I can define and loading them does NOT clear the System Management data as I discovered ๐Ÿคจ

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.