Forumite

i7 990X Early days

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk i7 990X Early days

This topic contains 30 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Got the i7 990X I said I ordered in the other stuff thread.

All went well and Windows booted on the second restart, 12 cores present and correct ?

Then I thought I would try a spot of overclocking by loading the optimised BIOS settings as a starting point.

From then on a no go, system got stuck at verifying the DMI pool. After much head sctatching and reading it turns out that the system verify’s the DMI pool against a disk file and the BIOS reset had returned the settings to IDE mode so it couldn’t see the AHCI disks. Hmmm ?.

Up and working now with the base clock raised from 133 to 160 with a times 26 multiplier. Much more playing to be done ?

Viewing 10 replies - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

<p style=”text-align: justify;”>Using a UEFI system will not avoid SMBIOS either because it is a required component module for using UEFI on a PC. Microsoft also made it a requirement in 1997 for the Designed for Windows 98 sticker. We are now up to V3.0 which is the 64 bit version.</p>
    Seem to have a Bee in my bonnet about it ๐Ÿ˜‚

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 1,534

Thats cool.

My rig has a couple of problems at the mo which I’m not to fussed about, but will get around to sorting it out.

I have had to turn off fast boot in windows because it boots to an unusable desk top, as in control alt delete to exit windows and it does not want to up date to latest version. Its probaley all down to dirty cache folders. But as it is, CBA. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Some of the common problems with fast start up are in the link above ๐Ÿ˜

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

So I bit the bullet and decided to get stuck in to try and make my install of w10 behave.

Emptied all folder and hidden ones where allowed. W10 no good.

So went to the iso DL page and 2 other options are available out side of a clean install, although one is actually classed as clean to get W10 to behave and after many hours: w10 no good.

W10 was now so knackered that I could not download the latest iso version and so had to do a clean install from a previous version. W10 now good.

I made an interesting observation about w10 activity in this time. One of my problems was that i had to turn off fast boot. The Observation is: w10 automatically drops out of fast boot when alterations are made to the BIOS or Operating System in the first instance and is then re enabled on second boot.

Which also indicates that the relationship with w10 and the BIOS is quite profound.

Using Opera and it allows spelling correction on this forum.ย  Yeah.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The DRM thing gets worse. Power DVD will not play my Terminator 2 UHD disc, says SGX driver is not loaded and would I like to load it, if I say yes it says my hardware doesn’t support SGX, no surprise there

The UHD disc also came with a regular BluRay but it was region 1. No problem I will just connect my old BluRay drive and switch region. Oh no I wont, says I need to insert a region 1 DVD before it will change, a BluRay is not good enough !

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Ouch. Disappointing. I guess you could stick it all on the Bay and get same kit as me: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS DDR4 AM4 mATX Motherboard. This board come with good heat sinks and is perfect for AMD Ryzen 5 3600 AM4 CPU/ Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler. Which we have already established has as much Umph as yours and 16GB of DDR4 CL 14 up to CL16

Costs about ยฃ330ish

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,379

Which we have already established has as much Umph as yours

Yes but I thought that Graham posted that AMD can not meet the very tight patent licensing requirements of Intel’s SGX. The AMD equivalent has (so far) not been accepted by the BluRay cartel.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

My media center is AMD BLU RAY power dvd. But 1080p Obvs PDVD has the option for 4K but im at 1080 and so have never enabled 4K.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

If you buy a UHD Bluray drive you will have the same problem as me, no SGX support. Power DVD will play 4K video files just fine but it will not decode a UHD Bluray without SGX ๐Ÿคจ

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

File manager can read and copy all the files on a UHD disk and some people have reported that they can decode some copied files using AnyDVD but not more recent ones.

Viewing 10 replies - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image