Forumite

Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited

HOME Forums Pets and Animals Other Pets & Animals Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 2johnbarry
    @johnbarry

For months now, I get up in the morning and in the living room I find slug trails all over the carpet. (I was going to ask on here about it) I couldn’t understand, never seen it before in the home. I searched and it seems they are common (carpet slugs) what’s a carpet slug look like? I have never seen it.

I put salt down and for weeks there was still slug slime, the salt has now since been hoovered up.

After 10+ years I am having a new carpet and I don’t fancy slug slime, bit by bit I am removing the old carpet/underlay ready for new. Yesterday I removed carpet from the back of the settee, this morning I decided to remove the underlay (from the back of the settee)

I have finally seen the slug (dead I think) it is now in the bin wrapped in a bread wrapper and tied.

Removing the carpet and disturbing the underlay created fine dust.

I am wondering if this dust killed the slug.

Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 3

Cheers
    John

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 4dwynnehugh
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 2,184

JB  “…I have finally seen the slug (dead I think) it is now in the bin wrapped in a bread wrapper and tied….”

Not taking any chances with the slug escaping are you John!!  Lol  Good luck with the problem.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,402

Too right dwynnehugh. it has been a nightmare, I nearly fetched in Paul Shantiny

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 6Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,986

JB, salt kills them if you pour it onto the vile things. They shrivel up and croak, but only if you pour it directly onto them. Save eggshells, crumble them in large pieces and pour around any places they can get in, with the inner surface of the shell facing up. They can’t travel over the sharp pieces, it is painful for them: Slate sold in garden centres has the same effect, laid around your walls outside, but it is expensive. if you have a pet, don’t use slug pellets, they can eat them and be very ill.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Bob I will put the tips on my list, I hope I never come across one in the home again. I never did see it it to pour salt on.

The housing group fitted new windows recently, the fitters laid all the plastic/windows on the front lawn did it hitch a lift on a window/plastic trims?

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 6Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,986

Thanks Bob I will put the tips on my list, I hope I never come across one in the home again. I never did see it it to pour salt on. The housing group fitted new windows recently, the fitters laid all the plastic/windows on the front lawn did it hitch a lift on a window/plastic trims?

Definitely! They turn into racing Slugs on a slick surface like that. I watched one on polythene once, went like the clappers before I salted the bugga.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Bob, I didn’t know they could speed up, as you say it’s slippy. I bet when the fitters pick it up they slide on the slime.

I have emailed the fitters and mentioned it and sent the picture (no reply yet).

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 10The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,208

We have a tourtoise and when she is out,if guests are here,especially with  kids, they are always amazed at how fast they can move. Tho on totally oppisite surfaces to the slugs. But the tt on glass, and she goes nowhere fast . Zero grip.

Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 11Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,256

Follow their trails back to likely entry points and stop up any holes. If this is impossible, copper tape acts as a permanent barrier.

Although salt kills them it can cause them to bubble-up with a disgusting yellow slime which would not be good on a carpet!

Participant
    Carpet Slugs – I’m so excited 12Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584

The above link has some info and a slug video for your entertainment ?

Participant
    @johnbarry

Although salt kills them it can cause them to bubble-up with a disgusting yellow slime which would not be good on a carpet!

It didn’t bubble, so the salt didn’t kill it, not sure if it was dead, it’ll be on the refuse dump by now.

I have no more slime on the carpet

Ed the trail came from knowhere, went all around the carpet and finished, I could never see where it came from (went to). It’s like he turned the slime off at times to fox me.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.