I'm stuck!

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk I'm stuck!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 3 days, 13 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Has anyone got any suggestions please? I managed to get my computer stuck in a boot loop as I described here:

https://forumite.co.uk/forums/topic/i-give-up/

Windows would look as if it was getting to the login screen, but it stayed black other than the cursor and a spinning circle. I found a registry edit for the recovery mode that gave me a command line at that point, so ran msconfig and set it to reboot into a minimal safe boot with all non MS services disabled. Now it reboots to a low resolution black screen with a spinning circle of white dots and won’t go any further.

Other than chkdsk finding a disk error on my SSD on the first boot, none of the recovery options do anything. I can’t undo the safe boot option, and I can’t get the command line back as Windows doesn’t get far enough. sfc /scannow doesn’t find any errors, and the startup repair log says that Windows is starting up properly. The Windows boot log says that everything except DirectX loads properly, until the second or third boot when it says that dozens of drivers won’t load.

I can’t think of anything else, and I don’t really want to wipe and reinstall or do a refresh install if I can help it, but wouldn’t mind running setup from Windows and doing a repair install if I can keep my setup.

Can anyone help please?

Spread the love
Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 495

If the command line is still available, try DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management).

My notes:

• To use to fix Windows component store corruption when a SFC /SCANNOW command is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then run the SFC command again.
    • To use to fix Windows component store corruption when the same Windows Updates continue to appear to be available to install even though they already show successfully installed in update history.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    also
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    also to regain space
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,227

DISM is best done in full Admin mode (i.e. log on as an Administrator rather than just escalate privileges)

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,027

If you have autologin i.e. you briefly see the login screen then you get the black screen, it’s probably an Explorer problem.

But first try Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B keyboard shortcut, which restarts the video driver and refreshes the connection with the monitor.

To resolve Windows Explorer process issues, use these steps:

Use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcut to open Task Manager.
    Click the More details button (if using the compact mode).
    Click the Processes tab.
    Right-click the Windows Explorer service, and select the Restart option.

Terminating and restarting explorer.exe

Use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard shortcut to open Task Manager.
    Click the More details button (if using the compact mode).
    Right-click the Windows Explorer service, and select the End task option (if available).
    Click the File menu.
    Select the Run new task option.
    Type the following command and click the OK button: explorer.exe

After that it’s boot from a W10 USB stick and try repair or set Safe Mode for booting. When the Windows boot screen appears power off the PC. Do this three times so that on the 4th Windows boots in Advanced Startup

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,394

Why don’t you want to do a repair install ? The difference between a repair install and a new install is that you DO keep your stuff. Even better to download the latest ISO and do an upgrade install if you have another W10 PC you can down load it with.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,027

But you lose your apps and configs. I had a laptop in with a similar black screen issue this week and it was explorer and restarting it seemed to cure it permanently, that’s why I had the fixes to hand. Turns out there is also an underlying HDD issue queering the pitch too but at least I got going far enough to get to see that.

Might as well try the easy stuff first, but I agree it may well end up in a reset.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I agree that you should always TRY and find the cause of a problem first Dave. After all if you don’t know what caused a problem there is a good chance it will happen again.

Windows repair or upgrade installs are not like days of old though. You should not loose anything. If Windows cannot complete a repair/upgrade install then it aborts and rolls everything back. An upgrade install is what Windows does every time there is major feature upgrade like the fall creators edition.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Its all part of the everlasting W10 theme. Microsoft have said there will never be a W11 so every now and then they bung out an upgrade to W10 that is actually a whole new version that does an upgrade install.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,628

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven’t had a chance to get on the computer yet, so I’ll try your suggestions tonight.

I’m happy to do a repair installation, it’s the refresh or reset that I want to avoid, as I want to keep my settings if I can. I can’t run anything outside the recovery environment at the moment though. I think the backup I took after the problem started was from when I had the blank login screen.

It’s sod’s law too. I was sorting out my portable drive to do a backup of the working system when this happened.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Its actually quite difficult to get windows to ignore your current setup these days.

Last month I fitted a new, larger, SSD to my hobby PC and wanted a fresh install of W10 on it. I removed the old SSD for safe keeping and told Windows to do a custom install on the new drive (leaving no doubt, I want Windows here). When setup finished I was surprised to find all my programs and settings in place.

In its wisdom Windows had found a disc image of my setup on my data drive and decided to use that. I now had the system partition and the recovery partition on the SSD and the Windows partition on the data drive. Great.

I had to disconnect the data drive and start again before I could convince the Windows installer to create a truly fresh installation, all on the SSD.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Sorry for taking a while to come back to this. I restored the backup yesterday and eventually got back to the black login screen. The EaseUS backup didn’t put the BCD back properly for some reason, so it took a while to sort that out.

At the moment the computer is booting and looks like it’s getting to either the login screen or close to it, but the screen stays black. I get the full resolution on both screens, and the mouse pointer, albeit as a spinning circle. The hard drive is working as if the system is loading, but nothing happens even if it’s left overnight. I tried restarting the video driver but it made no difference. It’s not getting far enough to try the other options Dave suggested.

Using the Regedit trick here:

https://winaero.com/blog/reset-windows-10-password-without-using-third-party-tools/

I got Task Manager and MSConfig running. Quite a lot of the system services and a few that I would assume are user services are running, but there’s no user logged on. Explorer loaded and gave me a taskbar, but I didn’t have a mouse at that point, and keyboard shortcuts for Explorer didn’t work. Keyboard shortcuts for the others worked though. I couldn’t get an Explorer folder window. I tried opening Control Panel but got an error message, and I tried setting VNC to allow incoming connections as it’s already installed, but it wouldn’t run at all. I was hoping to connect remotely from the black screen and rule a few things out either way.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth also Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth also to regain space Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

I tried these from the command prompt that I got with Regedit, but RestoreHealth and either Check or Scan failed with a 605 error message. StartComponentCleanup took ages but said that it completed. Nothing seems to have changed though. I found a link that should have fixed the 605 error, but that didn’t work either.

The only thing that I’ve managed to change now is disabling the Gigabyte overclocking software services. They weren’t used, but as far as I can remember, they were the last things I installed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions please? I can access the installation USB from the Regedit command line, so may try a repair install that way if all else fails, but I’m not going to hold my breath for that to work.

Thanks again guys 🙂

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 495

As Ed stated earlier & I should have also made plain, DISM must be run with elevated privileges ie as administrator.

Different sequence with explanation :
    1 DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    – check whether the online image is repairable
    2 DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth
    – determines whether any corruption has been detected
    3 DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    – repair (if repairable)

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

As Ed stated earlier & I should have also made plain, DISM must be run with elevated privileges ie as administrator.

Sorry, I was under the impression that I was opening an admin command prompt. I’ve read so many different articles that everything’s running together in my head 😵

I’m not getting as far as a login screen, so I thought it would start as admin. I’ll try this to see if it’s enough while I’m looking into it more:

‘C:\Windows\System32\runas /user:administrator cmd’

from this thread:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/104098-can-you-open-elevated-command-prompt-command-prompt.html

I’m going to give this a try too:

‘powershell Start-Process cmd -Verb runAs’

from this thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30480228/run-command-to-open-command-prompt-as-administrator#

(Sorry, posting both here so it’s easier to find everything from my phone later)

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I have had that before with a Gigabyte board. Had to press the cmos reset button a couple of times.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,227

The problem with an Admin prompt is that it often mishandles driver replacement as these may ‘reboot’ during the install. Better to log out of your user account and restart by logging in as an Admin.

The above is my explanation of why there is a difference between an Admin prompt and Admin mode, but maybe Dave has a better one.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I will put this again in the right place i hope😁

Try the reset cmos button if you have a Gigabyte board. Keep pushing it until it says DMI reset.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The other thing is make sure you only have 1 drive with an OS connected.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The Gigabyte BIOS will not do a DMI reset if it finds an old OS.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love