Forumite General Topics Tech PC Talk Integral ssd failure

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Turner
    Participant
      @turner74

As the title says I clicked on update and shutdown on the pc last night switched it on this morning it started loading up as normal I flipped the kettle on and turned around all I had was a black screen with the please install boot media and press enter. Pressed enter a couple of times nothing shut down the pc checked cables to be on the safe side rebooted went into the bios which is showing the drive as present restarted same thing. I reconnected my old hdd and booted went into disk management a pop up came up saying drive needed initialising clicked it error can’t carry out task. I downloaded a new copy of windows to the pen drive booted up selected the ssd to install to I got error windows can’t install to this device. I take it there is no hope for it? I contacted my memory they told me it only had a 6 month guarantee and to contact Integral. Is 6 months a bit short of a guarantee I thought at least 12 months or is this not the case anymore.

Cheers

Mark

PlaneMan
      Participant
        @planeman

My Memory are in the Channel Islands so it might be different form UK  mainland.

I’d be inclined to boot a Linux live session, something like the latest Mint or Ubuntu, loads of disk management tools available for Linux.

JayCeeDee
        Participant
          @jayceedee

You’ve reminded me about a job I’ve had sitting in the wings for a while now. W10 is on its own SSD ( 120Gb Integral from My Memory as it happens!! ) and I’ve been meaning to clone it to another SSD in case of any problems to it. Macrium Reflect is doing this currently and I will also copy an image of it to my external drive that holds my scheduled Acronis file/folder backup ( 1 full + 5 incremental ). That’s probably ott, but there’s a lot of info from the rentals that would inconvenience me come tax day if it went missing!!

Hope yours resolved itself OK.👍

I’ve got the same cumulative update for 2004 waiting for a restart as well as the feature update for 20H2. I’ll have this to hand for the 20H2 update, then repeat the exercise once 20H2 is running!! Nothing wrong with belt and braces!! :good: :yahoo: I was about to say that Windows had really got its act together with seamless updates, these days, but I wouldn’t wish to tempt fate!! :yahoo: :wacko:

Mark Turner
          Participant
            @turner74

Its not resolved at the moment I’m going to give Planemans idea a try tomorrow and see if I can do anything with a live cd I only bought it because the main spinner on the computer was slowing to a crawl but had a lot of stuff on it that I didn’t want to loose. The difference was night and day for this old pc luckily there was nothing on it apart from a few word files my youngest needed for school which can be re downloaded with the old drive connected back up its slow and updates galore to top it off.

Mark Turner
            Participant
              @turner74

I’ve run Ubuntu from a live cd the disk utility kept throwing up the error cannot probe drive I tried g-parted and bingo it created a partition then installed Ubuntu from where I am typing this so I can only assume the windows update did something to the drive and totally erased the partition creating the other problem along the way.

Cheers

Mark

Ed P
              Participant
                @edps

GParted on a bootable usb stick is always a useful tool to have.

Mark Turner
                Participant
                  @turner74

Ed I have added it to my arsenal this is my first experience with an ssd as I haven’t built a pc for quite a while(apart from today I built my first ryzen build for my brother which also threw up a few problems but not ssd related) my old box is prehistoric but does what I need it to do ie a few forums and You tube

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                Forumite