Forumite

Is Win 10 Firewall enough?

HOME Forums Tech Security Talk Is Win 10 Firewall enough?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 2rockonbazza
    @rockonbazza

Hi, for years I have always used Avast Antivirus, and Zone Alarm Firewall. Still used them when I changed to Win 10, and (thankfully) have never had any security/virus issues. Zone Alarm is causing a couple of issues now however (mainly with Xbox Game Pass PC) and I have to uninstall ZA to download any games from that site and then re-install ZA. I have decided to keep running Avast Antivirus, and permanently uninstalled Zone Alarm, and using Win 10 Firewall. Will that firewall suffice? Or should I install another third party firewall. I have seen Comodo and GlassWire (both free) mentioned as being good firewalls, though I read somewhere that GlassWire doesnt do much more than the Win 10 firewall. Should I just stick with WIN10 firewall, or install another? Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 3Mark Turner
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 574

I have windows firewall enabled and the router has one and I have never had any problems I think you would only need to install a third party firewall if you needed extra features that the windows one doesn’t have. As for Avast I haven’t used for ages it started getting bloated so now I just use Windows security and again never had any problems.

Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 4Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584

When PC’s were first connected to broadband via a USB modem it was vitally important to have a firewall program installed to block incoming connection attempts. We now all sit behind a NAT router that will just ignore almost all unsolicited connection attempts. A firewall program can still stop any malware you may get from calling home by blocking outgoing requests and the W10 firewall is quite good at that.

Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,327

+1 it’s all you need on a PC but if your AV comes with one there’s no reason not to use that instead.

Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 4Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584

If you would like to check if your router has left any ports open then Shields Up ! By Gibson Research is good idea, its free and you may like to look at some of the other stuff on the site like InSpector.

Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 7Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,256

If you would like to check if your router has left any ports open then Shields Up ! By Gibson Research is good idea, its free and you may like to look at some of the other stuff on the site like InSpector.

Fing is pretty good at checking any wifi ports you have open.

Participant
    Is Win 10 Firewall enough? 2rockonbazza
    @rockonbazza
    Forumite Points: 228

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I will check out Shields Up,and Fing. Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.