Forumite

ISP throttling

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

I have just moved isp to plus net. In a week I used 100GB and my speed has dropped  to 3mbps.

I hear if you use a VPN that this can confound the isp and so does not throttle your service.

If so are any of you using a VPN for just such a reason and what vpn are you using.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,395

Not using a VPN for that but I’ve been using Nord for a while on my Android, Chrome OS and Linux for a while now and it’s great, mostly. It’s not perfect but any issues and a quick disconnect and reconnect sorts it.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,016

I don’t think using a VPN would change that, as the ISP would still be able to detect the amount of traffic going through the network connection.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,490

Checking this out for an answer brings up two concepts and the answer to your question is that it depends on why your isp is throttling you.

You can get throttled ( so to speak ) because you’ve exceeded the limit by the amount you have downloaded, or by the content of what you’ve downloaded. Some isp’s it seems object to some streaming services and when it is discovered they throttle your speed down. Others go by the total amount you have downloaded.

In the first instance a VPN would assist in stopping them finding out that your streaming because when they checked the data they couldn’t identify it as a streaming service.

In the second instance a VPN could only assist you if it offered data compression, which would cut down the total amount passed over your connection, however it introduces an overhead of its own.

Neither is a complete solution to your problem, but may lend a helping hand.

Info from HERE and HERE.

Also, I’ve just had an email from Mozilla about how Firefox now has its own VPN. Maybe worth a look if your throttling is content based.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

I have a $5 a month Digital Ocean OpenVPN server based on Ubuntu 18.04. I used to roll my own but you can now get one totally off the shelf in their marketplace. The OpenVPN server is free for two users and whilst roll your own doesn’t have any restrictions the proper commercial OpenVPN server takes the pain of user authentication files away. Just log into the server as the user with a browser and download a fully configured client, job done.

The $5 is for a single CPU 1Gb / 25GB SSD with 1TB of traffic per month and a fixed IP address, should be fine for most people. The only command line action required is an SSH log into the server (could be done with the DO console) and type “passwd openvpn” to set a password for your Access Server. After that it’s all through your browser as url/admin to do some user admin or url/user to get your client.

My server is in Telehouse London, but they have data centres all over the world. Less likely to attract attention than one of the commercial ones. With DO you only pay for the time you use your server, so if you decide after a day or two it’s not for you that’s all you pay for. I spin up and destroy Ubuntu servers for experimenting, it’s quicker than creating my own VM – literally 2 minutes – and costs next to nothing.

To get around some online banking issues via 4G (bloody Nat West) I needed to get the customer a VPN service in a hurry. 10 minutes later the server is created and the client installed and Nat West and customer happy.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,828

NatWest they dropped one just this week. Anyway TY for replies.

Dave who are you? Do you feature in Marvel comics!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.