Forumite

Kenable and Cat5e POE

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Kenable and Cat5e POE

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I need 50m or so of external CAT 5e cable that is reliable for POE service. Whenever I search on the terms POE+Cat 5e most times the cable comes up as ‘Kenable’. Is this great brand name/product placement, or has ‘Kenable’ become the new (Hoover/Xerox) generic for such cable?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,878

I’ve always associated them with being a seller rather than a manufacturer. Have bought a few HDMI cables, and video/audio adapter from them via Amazon with no issues. Can’t vouch for the LAN cable but have always had good experience with “the name” Ed.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 3,447

Kenable do seem to be a cable manufacturer amongst other things.

Exterior cables get exposed to UV light which breaks down most PVC so they should be made of polythene or black PVC. The carbon black used in colouring black PVC  absorbs the UV light.

You are not allowed to use polythene cable internally because it gives off cyanide gas when it burns so you have to joint it as soon as it enters a building.

Poly cable is more robust than PVC but it is a pain in the a**e to strip ?

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 595

I got 2 60m lengths of Cat 6 cable being given away on Freegle. One piece was more than adequate to reach the workshop at the bottom of the garden.
    Not having used Cat6 before, I had several unsuccessful goes at wiring the RJ45 connectors. Whilst the wires looked as if they were fully home there was always one that didn’t quite connect.
    So to the point of the story … I bought some pass through RJ45s from Kenable. Although tricky, they allowed the connector to be wired correctly by feeding in one core at a time.
    I’ve bought other items from them in the past without any problems.
    I also have three POE IP cams (bought from Dave) running on standard Cat 5 cable without problems for the last couple of years. IIRC two are 10m runs & the other 15m.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

Any Cat5e cable will be fine for POE. It’s important to make sure the connections are truly water proof. This is what I used at Steve’s 100m Cat5e-CCA External from Amazon

The tool I use for crimping is this one as it allows you to use the EZ RJ45 connectors.

Cat 6? My question is always why? I struggle to think why anyone needs it and it’s a total PITA. For the MOD we have to use very high grade cable that’s hard to buy for <10mbps jobs. Trebles the cost of the cabling (they originally wanted an even higher spec but no-one makes it). However their instance on metal fixings is good. If there is a fire the cable sheath may melt but the cables stay where they are and don’t impede fire fighters.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 3,447

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

Thanks, looks OK Graham. I have found through bitter experience that on long run cables the most important factor is cable quality. I’ve been bitten once with cable that had some internal breaks (probably pinched during manufacture). I wasted hours cutting off old connectors and fitting new in the mistaken belief that somehow I kept screwing up fitting the connectors. Never again!

I’ll chocolate box the POE/Ethernet connectors to the camera and  trunk the cable for appearance sake so rain/solar breakdown should not be an issue.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

If you’re trunking then internal will be fine.

I don’t know what cameras you’re using or how they present the final connection, but Hikvision include a waterproof torpedo. I know you’re boxing the connection in, but something like this is worth considering as additional insurance.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

I’m now using Luowice for ‘bang for the buck’.  I do not use their internet/phone app and use a local connection to a separate management system that handles all the cameras and is open enough to enable customization of features such as zoom. (I simply zoom on tracking plus way-points).

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Looking at the connection tail it looks like you’ll be getting a waterproof torpedo ? Probably need it for IP66 rating.

With the Hikvision kit the brackets are chunky and hollow enough to hold the connectors.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!