Forumite

Kodi considering DRM

HOME Forums Other Stuff Kodi considering DRM

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

From Tech Radar:

https://tinyurl.com/kpqofkd

Looks like Kodi wants to go legit….

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,149

Kodi itself has always been legit.

It’s (most of) the add ons that aren’t.

Plenty of legit Kodi add ons and even more that are very naughty.

Same old story which has been proven, make the content available for a reasonable price and most will pay. You’ll always get some that won’t pay no  matter how cheap.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 739

“…XBMC’s Project lead Martijn Kaijser said that blocking these add-ons wasn’t an option…”

that doesn’t sound like they are going to block pirated content off, only that they to invite legit content. But I don’t really know much about Kodi or how it all relates and gloss-over articles like that mean zilch to me…

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,745

The drm option is for the likes of broadcasters to use. The drm won’t effect the 3rd party “black” add ons.

So if you use kodi and the addons, there is little to worry about. Kodi realised a statement saying ad much about 12h after the drm new come about. About 3 or 4 days ago.

Though I think all the dodgy addons are not very good anyhow, either poor quality or they constantly drop. There is much better places to watch live streams. Or just pay for the live stuff, and get full HD with out drops and rubber banding, the issue is sometimes you can’t find a way to pay.

If your after “black” films or shows etc, again, there is better places than the kodi adds.

I bet kodi is loving all this bad press, I bet their downloads have never been so high.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,749

What I know about Kodi is limited to what I might have read, never having used it. But I took the statement  “…blocking these add-ons wasn’t an option…” – to have a similar meaning to how most copyright issues in images, video and music are dealt with by the public. In other words, if they are so minded, people can download pirate material by discovering the means to do so, or buying a device with the means embedded in hardware.

Disregarding industry “fat cat” references, most people find the practice of avoiding copyright either abhorrent, or beyond their abilities.

I have recently bought some photographs of my youngest gdaughter’s recent Dance Show at a local theatre. The Dance company always hires a professional photographer, for stills and videos of the performances. Between the family, we buy a hard copy of any image that anyone in the family would like for themselves. Having a dedicated 5- cartridge HP Photosmart printer, I then print off any further copies required by other family members, at the highest resolution, on the best paper. The copies I make are indistinguishable from originals, which have no watermarks. Does that mean that I have committed a crime? In real terms, yes, but it comes down to plain commonsense. But I would balk at illegally downloading anything that robbed someone of profit for their work.

You could say that the photographs are a “Grey Area”, but they are in full colour! Soooorrrrreeeee! 😉  🙂  :yahoo:

EDIT: written after Steve’s post. His last says it all – Kodi will benefit from the old adage – there is no such thing as bad publicity.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,209

I have no trouble with content dropping or being of poor quality with 2 exceptions:

1. Live sport.
    2. Films before they are released on DVD. These are often filmed in the cinema.

I haven’t found anywhere better for “black” films than Exodus.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 739

But I would balk at illegally downloading anything that robbed someone of profit for their work.

That is a grey area too… Are you really robbing them of their profit? I just came back from the cinema ( watched Cheese Feast 8) because it’s the kind of movie I enjoy watching in the cinema and I watch all those movies in the cinema as they come out. And I almost never watch the same movie twice. So when I occasionally do pirate watch a movie it’s something I think is not worth paying money for and I only do it to kill time. So even if the Movie Studios had it their way and all illegal streaming/downloading was banned/blocked I would not watch that movie for a fee. I would play a computer game or read a book or watch something on YouTube instead. So am I really robbing them of their profit when I watch some movie during which I can’t stop thinking why someone made it at all?  :unsure:

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I would not contemplate watching this kind of movie:

“So am I really robbing them of their profit when I watch some movie during which I can’t stop thinking why someone made it at all?”

Any of the other activities you describe would be a better form of entertainment than wasting time on something which offers no pleasure. And I didn’t actually mention downloading movies: I said “.. downloading anything…” I was referring to all forms of downloadable entertainment or information.

--- Robin Williams

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,817

Amazon hardly encourage pay to play, either. I have a prime subscription, but there are still TV series that charge per episode.

I’ve either paid, or I haven’t. They can’t have it both ways.

At least my Netflix subscription doesn’t have extra costs.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,209

Amazon don’t claim that all of their TV and films are free. In the same way as Sky don’t give you free access to all of the content they have.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Amazon don’t claim that all of their TV and films are free. In the same way as Sky don’t give you free access to all of the content they have.

One of the reasons why I will end my Sky deals when the contract ends. I have found many movies and shows , cheaper elsewhere. some of the prices Sky want to charge, are exorbitant. Many movies & shows are cheaper, but they are older items which are even cheaper (sometimes free) elsewhere. I am disappointed with Sky, but had to try it.

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!