Forumite

Laptop – budget £300 – Mainly as a study aid

HOME Forums Shopping Electrical Laptop – budget £300 – Mainly as a study aid

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

HP EliteBook 840 G1 14-inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 4th Gen, 8GB Memory, 180GB SSD, WiFi, WebCam, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit) (Renewed)

£265 on Amazon

There were some G2 about for the same price bracket but seem to have gone. Performance wise there was nothing in  it but they have 1600 x 900 screens.

These are very nice bits of kit.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,379

For a reasonably dispassionate comparison with a Windows laptop, check out this review. I guess you need to define ‘study aid’ a little more thoroughly to see which fulfils the requirement best.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,499

+1 for Dave’s suggestion – bought one on his recommendation a while back – really pleased with it. I’ve pimped mine a bit but even out of the box a very nice bit of kit.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,375

In June 2019 I was looking for a new laptop and Dave Rice suggested the following

HP 255 G7 Ryzen 3 8GB 256GB Full HD 15.6in Win10 Laptop,  Ebuyer Q/find code 874549 currently £329.98 – my daughter is extremely pleased with it and it fulfills all of her requirements.

Thanks Dave – spot on!!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

TCBarrett
    Participant
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 262

Hmm.. not sure the quote is working?

Anyway – study aid – meaning it is for someone that is studying 😀

Seriously, they need to be able to research (Google stuff) and “do Office stuff” (Google Docs). So, genuinely not anything spectacular. It is currently a no tablets or PCs household. Not sure they even have smart phones. Even if they do, you can’t be writing essays on a phone.

Thanks for all suggestions so far. They look good. Amazing B4B these days!

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,504

I can’t argue with the suggestions put forward so far but if lightweight and excellent battery life is important then it’s a Chromebook  all the way.

I’m almost totally on ChromeOs and Android.  A Chromebook with Android support will do all you ask and more.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,499

Only reason I’d avoid Chromebooks for study is that MS Office is still the standard/assumed office suite (or at least was when my two went through university).  A snappy Windows laptop will do everything a student needs – a Chromebook may not.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,379

The link still works for me, but the site was this:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/chromebooks-vs-windows

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

I get the Chromebook vs Windows if you are in total control and know how to get around the gotchas. But as BL says expectations are you’ll be using Windows / Office and everything is geared to that.

Then there’s the whole getting ready for the big wide world thing. In business it’s going to be Windows. I know some big names like Airbus have moved Google Apps but it’s still on a Windows machine.

My kids are pretty tech savvy and things like Linux don’t phase them, but there’s no way they were going to Uni with anything other than a Windows machine. Harriet, who trashes everything (her new Lenovo didn’t last 6th form), went with a refurb Elitebook 8460 that I put an SSD in. Looked like new (it doesn’t now – stickers) and 3 years in (so it’s probably 8 years old+) it’s i5 is still more than capable and isn’t going to fall to bits thanks to the aluminium case.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

My eldest Gdaughter still has the HP Pavillion d7 that was ours, at least 10 years old now. She has had it about 5 years and you could grow stuff on it! She used it when she was a chef and it really needs degreasing; now she works in a Barclays bank and still uses it for work appointments, etc. I put in another 2GB Ram and an SSD in the DVDRW bay. It is still solid as a rock, quite heavy compared to today’s lappies, gets hammered by her and truck owner/driver BF. They are about to move into their first home together and I jokingly suggested she should pass it to the firstborn. “Of course granddad: it’s a family heirloom now!”

I think the old HP will have to be shot at some point. It just won’t die from natural causes. They don’t make ’em like that any more!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image