Forumite

Laptop cable protector

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Laptop cable protector

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Laptop cable protector 2Tippon
    @tippon

I mostly use my laptop on my lap, and the cable is starting to bend. It’s the short section between the laptop plug and the little block (RF shield?). Is there someting I can put there to strengthen it? I vaguely remember someone saying that you can put a spring there, but I can’t remember if that was a serious comment or not :D

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Laptop cable protector 3Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,400

Yea, the MacBooks will fit a biro spring there to help strengthen it. However, I’d use Sugru myself.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 4PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,678

A few layers of duct tape should work.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 5Alan Wood
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 744

Never heard of Sugru but it looks very useful. I will try and get some and try it.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 3Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,400

Never heard of Sugru but it looks very useful. I will try and get some and try it.

I used it in my old house for fixing a shower and for minor other tasks. From memory, it has a fairly short shelf life which is a pain. Not sure if that’s improved.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 7Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,995

I have used this, Ryan:    http://tinyurl.com/vq9zfte

It does protect cable against chafing or contacting anything that might cause wear. My first use of it was to protect granddaughter’s headphone cable, a few years ago: she used to chew the cable without thinking whilst playing Minecraft. Found how good it was and have used it again on other cables. It can easily be removed if you need access to the cable.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 8Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,293

+1 for Sugru. Its only downside is that it is damned expensive for what you get (totally unsuitable for BIG jobs due cost, in this situation you need to use messy oogu!  Oogu translation: corn starch is cornflour, and Wilkos clear silicon does the trick. I have used acrylic paint as a colouring agent but it cuts working time to a couple of minutes at most )

White sugru is easy to use, black sugru can give you dirty fingers for a bit as I think they use carbon black as their filler.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 2Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,775

Thanks guys :)

I’ve gone for Bob’s option, mainly because I’m hopeless at making things without making an awful mess :P I found a version on Amazon’s UK site here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Charger-Flexible-Silicone-Protector-12-Black-Pink-Blue-Green/dp/B07H7K489G

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 7Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,995

Nice one Ryan, it’s a simple, practical solution. Those are the solutions I like.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Laptop cable protector 11The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,210

The issue with these protectors, is they just move the weak point down 2 inches.

However I do use them once wear start to occur

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.