Forumite

Laptop gone crazy.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

Something very strange. I have two lenovo T61 laptops, one of which “kills its battery”, so never sees one now. Not used much, but last year I bought a Win 7 ult install from Ebay and installed that, overwriting the linux Mint previously there. It was slow, and the windoze side of things maddened me at times, but it worked. Right now I need a laptop with a linux install for a number of jobs, and I don’t want to risk causing difficulties with other PCs. I removed the 80GB spinner and fitted my 60GB SSD.

I fired up the “good” T61 to check and it was using Mint 17.1 64 bit Cinamon. OK, that is probably what was on the BK before the Windoze install.

Insert DVD with 17.1 iso and switch on. This looks odd, it is showing a double display, one height compressed image above a second one. Never mind, plough on, it should load and install OK. But it did not. I burned a fresh image of Mint 15, just in case they had had had an earlier Mint install, later updated through Synaptic.

Exactly the same.

Switch off, remove DVD and the 60GB SSD and refit the 80GB spinner with the Windoze install.

Switch on. Still running at “double frequency on the vertical”, to use TV terminology.

Why? What do I do now. Maybe advice on a source for two replacement laptops?

Les.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,090

It does sound like a hardware issue.

Gigarefurb (where my T40 comes from) have some of the Hp EliteBook 840 G1, Intel Core I5-4300U 1.90GHz, 8GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 14″, Windows 10 Home for £180

Easy to work on, the whole base just slides off exposing everything you can upgrade. But all I’d do is swap the spinner for one of your SSDs.

Microdream have a ThinkPad T430 Core i5-3210M 8GB 120GB SSD DVDRW WiFi USB 3.0 Windows 10 Pro for £220

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,306

Install a Linux VM on the working laptop and save money. Lots of how-tos on line, but a Linux VM does everything done by a regular vm and any speed hit is unnoticeable. If you browse/email from a vm it is a zillion times more secure than using Windows.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,093

Install a Linux VM on the working laptop and save money.

Which virtualisation software would you recommend Ed? I usually use VirtualBox, but am always open to suggestions :)

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,757

It seems this is a known fault for certain aged T61s, those with nvidea especially. Time to scrap it and start searching for something else. It only cost £40 (or £80 for two) so i still have one good one. For how long?

Dave, don’t want to pay that sort of money, but I may get pushed that way.

Les.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,090

Les, those are the prices for reasonable kit and Gigarefurbs are way lower for the G1 than usual, probably the condition.

Microdream have some sub £200 Lenovos but they’re all 12.5″.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,306

Tippon I use VMWare Player (free) because it (had) slightly better graphics support but Virtual Box is just as good.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,093

Thanks Ed :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.