Forumite

Laptop ram

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

Tamara has been complaining recently about how slow her laptop is getting. I backed up all her stuff and decided to try a fresh install of Mint 20, think maybe it was a bit junked up. It would not boot at first, so I cleaned the DVD’s lens. Now it booted and I told it to install (to a desktop icon of course) Anyway, after 20 mins of things seeming to happen, it sat with a display of the black screen and icon of  Mint 20, but no mouse pointer or response to keyboard.

I shut down and stuck in my old PCCheckit disc and looked at everything. It told me it would take max of 8GB RAM, of 2 xs 4GB, and seemed to suggest there was 3GB present. Running memory test however only found 2GB in DIM 1 slot. No errors, nor on an HDD check.

This morning I took it out and blew a load of dust away, then later looked at the RAM flap on the back. No DIM 2 present.

I assume 2GB is not enough, so will another 2GB solve the problems, or do I go the whole hog and settle on 2 xs 4GB yielding the total of 8GB.

From what I can deduce, it is DDR3 sodim, PC3/8500.

Does anybody have any I can buy, or just risk some from Ebay?

Les.

• This topic was modified 5 days, 19 hours ago by Les.. Reason: Spell BUY correctly
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,186

Sorry, I do not have any RAM, but I’d comment that if Tamara’s laptop WAS OK in the past then unless you have a RAM failure I would be more inclined to think that her disk drive is throwing out a load of errors due to bad blocks or other errors. Try running the appropriate Mint disk utilities. link

If you find a load of bad blocks then it may be an early warning sign of impending disk doom or just that Tamara is flipping the laptop on-off switch rather than doing it properly through the software. (Linux often  uses ‘write-behind‘ so flipping the switch to shutdown is a good way to stuff things up.)

• This reply was modified 5 days, 17 hours ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,319

I’ve just gone through the windows version of the above, as the Missus was getting fed up with her laptop ( HP255 G4  AMD A6 6310 4GB ) being a bit slow and randomly switching off. I’ve transformed it for her with an SSD and an extra 4GB memory. I also took the opportunity to install a new DC Jack for her as the original one was intermittent and was switching off overnight.

DC Jack was just over a fiver from Ebay, 4GB memory from Amazon was £18 and the SSD was £28 for a 240GB Kingston. ( Annoyingly I had a spare 120Gb SSD, but despite my best efforts when cloning it with Macrium Reflect, I couldn’t get the partition sizes small enough to fit. )

It now flies ( relatively speaking ) so everything just opens, no dithering or caching!! She’s delighted.

Good luck with Tamara’s. :good:

Edit – I almost forgot, first thing that I did was to do a W10 reset from settings – it took a while but gave me a clean setup to clone. I also upgraded it to version 2004. ( That seems wrong writing it, but MS’s way of allocating dates seems to make the 2020 version 16 years out of date!! )

• This reply was modified 5 days, 17 hours ago by JayCeeDee.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,009

I probably have some DDR3 in the spares box, I’ll have a look.

2GB should be enough for Mint though and I agree with ED, slowing down is almost always down to a spinner running lots of bad sectors.  Having said that I’ve recently had to look at a laptop of very similar spec to Mrs JCD and suspected the HDD. Checked out fine and her husband having an identical one we looked at that too. Going slowly, ram almost maxed out and the spinner maxing out but checking out fine.

So may be 4Gb just isn’t enough and it’s paging that’s causing the HDD hits, but 95% of my PCs out there will have 4GB of ram (I’ve only upped to 8GB < a year) and I’m not getting anyone else complaining. However they will have SSDs so may be they are paging, just so quickly it’s not an issue?

The plan with the laptops is to do as JCD did, looks like it is the answer!

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,319

Just did a quick check – 25 seconds to ‘pin page’ and another 25 ( including entering the pin ) to desktop with a full taskbar.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,752

I have been thinking of a new SSD to replace the HDD, but PCCheck did give both the RAM and  HDD a clean bill of health.

Just to clarify, it is ONLY 2GB. I can go for another 2GB to give 4GB, or I could get one or two 4GB to give 6 or 8GB total.

Recently Mint 19.x has updated to 20 via their system updates, and I suspect that may have been the point at which she started to have problems. I was intending to do a clean install last night, but it refused.

Yes, I will get her an SSD. Dave, if you do have any, please let me know. Will 4GB total be enough, or do I go to  6 or 8GB?

Cheers, Les.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,009

OK I have 4GB of PC3 12800s – DDR3 1600.

Yours for a fiver. Are you still at The Firs?

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,752

Dave, that is great. Yes, still same address. Any extra for postage? I will have your paypal details somewhere.

6GB it will be then. I have ordered a 240 GB SSD, so that should satisfy Tamara (I hope).

Cheers, Les.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.