LEGO!!!

HOME Forums Other Stuff LEGO!!!

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

I spent a very painful but satisfying 90 minutes or so earlier today building a Speed Champions set, 75885, got it from Argos for £8.99, well worth the money even at full price (£12.99) I had a £5 evoucher so it was an even better price.

I’ve just cleaned out the only Argos within a sensible distance with stock left, 3 for Christmas presents and one that’s going to be hidden away unopened.

If there is stock near you I recommend grabbing a few.  I re-did the decals a good few times, still not 100% happy with them but my hands are about to go out on strike.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Spread the love
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,139

It’s more like an airfix kit than Lego. Wish they’d had that 50 years ago though 😀

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,104

So do I, an Airfix and Revel regular until I went to sea at 16. The construction site spare room at home was full of all kinds of builds, including Spitfires and Hurricanes duelling with Messerschmidt Bf 109’s, FW 109’s, Heinkel 111’s, Do17’s and Ju 88’s. There was also a B17G being attacked by a Bf109, chased by a Mustang P-51D and another P-51D being attacked by an Me 262 jet. All of this was hanging from the ceiling on very fine, almost invisible nylon threads.

On a big old table was a Diorama: a lone Tiger tank confronting 3 British Firefly tanks in Normandy:

http://tinyurl.com/yd7chztr

And behind a wall, a British infantry section with a PIAT anti-tank weapon. Another Diorama had a Type 97 Japanese tank in what I imagined was the Burmese jungle, being pounded by two British 25- pounders on a hill.

http://tinyurl.com/y7en3f3q

I built all this stuff between about 8 and 16, using lots of papier mache and Humbrol paints. It used to take me longer to build the Diorama’s, than the kits! Until I found the big Revel Chevvy V8 on a stand, which took me the best part of 2 months. Half the body of the engine was clear plastic, the crank could be turned to see all the pistons and other working parts, moving. It was spectacular, but I had an idea what would happen to it when I left, as my two nephews were interested in it and they always fell out over playing with stuff. So I sold it to a mate who is now a retired London dentist and still has it.

The nephews used to ask to see the room while I was away: dad would not allow that but mam would. Sure enough the whole scene was trashed when I came home. Some idiot (my brother, their dad) had bought the eldest an air pistol and he used my displays for target practice. If you have never seen a plastic kit shot by an air pistol at close range, it is every bit as disastrous as you might imagine. It was 3 sea trips before I spoke to my eldest nephew again and was never as close to him as his younger brother. All 3 are passed on.

Like many kids of my generation brought up on tales of WWII, I was interested in war and war weapons.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,012

ASDA have some good deals on LEGO, some kits are almost half price. This fact cost me £30.

Needed one last Christmas present so OFC I bought 3 sets. 1 for Christmas, one for my nephews birthday early next year and one to hide away.

All were the same.

They had a fair few that were cheap but I wasn’t impressed with most of them or they were out of stock. Idiots buying them to put away no doubt.😁

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Today’s Lego build. 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback. As in Bullitt.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,360

Not the same as the full-sized version but still fun: (via Hacker News)

Lego Porsche Crash Test

PlaneMan
    @planeman

That’s great Ed.

One problem though, in 3 years time someone will kneel down and find a piece of Lego embedded in their knee. 😃

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,509

What h a couple build a huge crain over Xmas on YouTube. Too them 17h over 5 days iirc. It was amazing. And I thought relatively good value at (iirc) £220.somtjing I don’t think I’ve said about lego in ages.

It was the guy that wrecks mobile phones on release. He tests the scrar h resistance of the glass, materials, then durability, then stopes them down. I’m sure you know the guy, I just can’t think of his channel atm

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love