Forumite

Lenovo ideacentre aio 300 locked out

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Lenovo ideacentre aio 300 locked out

This topic contains 48 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Marc Berry 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Hi all.

I’ve been out of PC stuff for a while and my sister has asked me to check out her daughter’s all in one PC as she said there was a problem but had forgot to tell my sister what it was.

When i first turned it on i couldn’t see the issue as it booted up but while it was sitting there waiting for my sister to check what the log in password or PIN was, it went to a blue screen. Can’t remember the wording as it auto restarted.

She then got back to my sister to say she couldn’t remember either of the login codes so I’m stuck.

Until i can log in i can’t do much so i don’t know where to go next.

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers, Marc

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle
    Forumite Points: 214

Cheers guys.

Dave, i think that second one you linked might be fine. So would the other but it’s more expensive.

Any suggestions from anyone for a good cheap SSD, maybe £30 approx

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,371

Anything off Amazon has seen my OK.

YUCUN 2.5 inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive R570 240GB SSD £27.49

Western Digital WDS240G2G0A WD 240 GB £29.76

SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB £29.98

I’ve used all 3 at one time or another.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Cheers Dave

I guess there isn’t as many options for 320gb. I’m sure 240gb will be enough mainly for just Windows 10.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Absolutely loads. I ran on 128GB for nearly 2 years and it never stopped me downloading ISOs etc and doing what I wanted. Every 6 months or so I’d clear the old crap out but I do that now I have 500GB! I’m current on 137 / 431 and nearly 30GB of that is in my Downloads folder. Time for a spring clean.

After installing W10 and updates, Office, all the usual utilities and a disk cleanup I reckon on sending out a new PC with well under 30GB used.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,296

Any suggestions from anyone for a good cheap SSD, maybe £30 approx

These are good value too Patriot Burst 240GB – £25.99 7dayShop Ebay

Or direct from 7DayShop £1 cheaper £24.99 Patriot Burst SSD 240GB

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Cheers all

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

Given the unknowns, my inclination would be to get it working and updated with the existing disk drive, then if you must to clone this to your new SSD.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,438

it said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Can’t this also be caused by a memory error?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

It IS sort of a memory error but not caused by bad memory. Kernel mode code is not ment to use pageable memory if it is going to run at an IRQL above APC but it is a classic sign of a badly written driver.

The trouble is that if a driver tries to access some pageable memory and it HASN’T been paged out then it will get away with it THAT time.

If the memory has been paged out then Windows will try to raise the CPU IRQL to Dispatch/DPC level so it can call the memory manager but it will find its already at that level so it can’t interrupt the existing process. Error Error Error 😂

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

Should note that user mode code can’t have this problem because it always runs at the lowest IRQL of passive unless it gets temporrerily boosted to APC by the Kernel.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Got my new ssd and installed it. Downloaded Windows 10 to usb drive and installed. Then cortana starts setting things up and another bsod. Restarted, another bsod so it wasn’t the drive.

However, even with drivers surely none had the chance to impact it much at that stage???

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

I’ve just opened it up to see any obvious signs of liquid damage but there was none. Bit of dust i blew away. No burn marks. I took the money module out, no issue and reinstalled in the other slot.

None of this helped. I’m lost now, can’t think what else to do and I’m not good enough with this stuff to know what to do next.

Sick of it. Spent money on the drive, no better.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Could it be bad RAM? Unfortunately i don’t have any to test and I’m reluctant to buy a stick to then find out it didn’t help.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Assuming you did nothing else to the old drive, swap back to the old drive (as it had a sort of working system) then start in safe mode with networking and visit the Intel site and install their Intel Driver and Support Assistant (iDSA) tool. (you should be able to download the tool to a usb stick using another pc if safe networking does not work). Then update your mobo’s Intel Drivers on the non working machine.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The other thing I would do is to unplug  any USB peripherals. I’d then go through all the hidden USB drivers and remove these too.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

i have put a new stick of RAM in incase but no better. the main error coming up being BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO.

i have installed the old HDD back but that wont even bsod it just stays in a boot loop.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s starting to sound like the motherboard.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Sh** man. Anyway of getting that confirmed apart from obviously putting a new one in?

What sort of cost for that type of thing in an AIO?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

See if you can run a Linux Live CD or USB. If you can it is not the mobo.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Just dropped it into a pc repair shop who said if they can’t fix it, no charge. if the only way to fix it is a new mobo then they recommended not to spend the money and they wouldn’t charge. Only if it is simpler like the OS would they sort it and charge me. So they will be playing around with the OS.

Are they right that the mobo would either have to be a used part that could have the same issue or a part from China and not worth buying?

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image