Lenovo P2A42

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Lenovo P2A42

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Just picked up one up on ebay – these are the phones Three sold for a while then pulled (possibly because it dented sales of higher end phones. Bought on a whim with a view to re-sell but so good I am keeping it and selling my trusty S5.

The big selling point is a 5100mAh battery, which aside from being high-capacity also seems to be well optimised and so far battery life is amazing – not gone to bed on less than 70%.

I’ve got the 32GB version, which has a Snapdragon 625 processor. This version has full support for all UK and 3G and 4G bands (the more common and cheaper C7 version is missing 4G band 20). It came with Android 6 but soon updated to 7 and then a security update to 7 soon after.

GPS is rock solid, screen is very nice, the speaker is excellent, fingerprint works great, and accessories easy to come by. Minor quibbles would be that the “three buttons” are soft (you have to swipe up for them) and (biggie for some) the camera is just “OK”, not great especially in low light.

All round though for £200-ish a lot of phone (ebay only now as far as I now but still available new) in the mid-range price bracket.

Spread the love
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,559

Looks a very nice phone,  4gb of ram too👍 how does the camera compare to the S5 camera? Never liked the S5, it was the phone that was used turned the wife off Samsung. Though I  think the first Android update Samsung dialed back what I called ‘peek touch wiz’. The menus within that os on launch was a mess. The camera was good, iirc anything from the sgs3/note2 era, was when (android)  phones became an acceptable replacement to point and shoots for me. For the most part since of the 6P, my dslr only comes out on special occasions.

I just had to replace it the battery in the wife’s P9. The battery was (is again)  good. Wifey in all her wisdom, against my nagging, will keep the phone on charge all the time when at home, and she wonders why she can’t get a phone battery to last a year! Always best to keep in between 20-80%. I always charge to 100 overnight, but in the day if needed,  I’ll give it  a 20min top up once it hits 20%, or if i know I’m going out.

That  lenovo looks nice, I wonder how it stacks up to the Moto G5?

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 614

The camera is “OK” did some comparisons with Jr2’s LG G5 and its not as good – not as good as the S5 either. In good light the pictures are perfectly acceptable, but compared to the other 2 (especially the G5) it doesn’t stack up. Aside fro that though I love it. The speaker is a revelation – much better than the S5, and phone/data reception is possibly better – at least indoors.

Its a little bigger than the S5 (which I loved!) but just about fits in the front jeans pocket, just have to be careful getting on and off bar stools.

Yeah an overnight charge is how I go too – and the battery in this thing is so big I don’t think I’ll miss the removable battery in the S5. I think that one of the Motos has a similar big battery but their (Moto) model number make my brain hurt.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Lol the Moto Lines are way to complex. I use to love the 2015 Moto E 4g, not to be mistaken for the Moto E, or the 2015 Moto E non 4g version!!

It wasn’t just as simple as 4g vs 3g, the 4g had uprated cpu and I think an extra GB of ram. The two phones was massively different. I don’t think the non 4g version was even on sale for 6months. To make it more confusing, they soon dropped the price e of the 4g to what the 3g one was.

The press the we have the 2016 moto G4/G4 play/G4+

You would think the G4 was the most basic, followed by the plus, and the Play would top the line. But the Play was entry and the plus topped it out!!

I must admit, I haven’t look at the G5 and don’t know if it has plus or play style variants. But knowing them there probably is, and they introduced another two on top.

Back to the camera, there always has to be a compromise and the camera is alway it. However I haven’t really looked into it, but last years moto G4 seems OK, which is miles better than the original moto G, which would take one good picture out of 10 in great light. You had to have your subject stand really still. But I loved that phone. I gave up my note 2 for it. Then moved to the M8 within 6 months.

What is great us the moto camera app interface. Also the P9 camera app is fantastic, it’s simple, but with one tap you can make it as complex as it gets. But it’s set out perfectly.

The Google camera on the pixel and nexus line is poor, though it takes fantastic shots, so I suppose simple is best, let the software just do its thing. It’s hard to take a bad shot.

Actually if you come across cheap nexus 6P, it would make a cracking camera phone. Same camera and software as the pixel, just the pixel processor doesn’t bottle neck.

Last summer on holiday  i forgot my charger to my nikon, so by the time we went to Madrid we had no camera. This was the first time I’d really checked out the 6Ps camera performance. The pictures are good, however if your using it on a tour, you soon find out after about 30 pictures the camera just sits there “proccessing”. With the pixel they eliminated that.

TCBarrett
    Participant
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 116

What relation is the Blackview P2 to this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackview-Mobile-Phones-Unlocked-6000mAh-Black/dp/B06X93K74K/

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

The Duke
    @sgb101

No link between the two,to seperate brands. The Blackview P2 is clocked much slower 4×1.5ghz 4x1ghz compared  to 8x2ghz on the Lenovo. It seems the same cpu (I could be wrong) I have no idea of the BV gpu.

The black view has a larger battery, 6000 vs 5100mah, same screen size and res.

It’s biggest drawback is it’s a chi phone, meaning we have no idea on the company and its record of security and updates. Also alot of chi phones, you can’t update, even if an update comes out as your likely to get a Chinese rom. They don’t update there English (int) roms usually. Unless the device has a healthy following on xda forum (a place I check before buying a phone), I wouldnt touch it.

I’m looking at getting my girl the huawei media pad M3 for Xmas to replace her iPad 2 (she is 10, and adopt the iPad2 from new so it’s almost 7, picked it up from a US airforce bace in San Diego). I do trust huawei, the wife has the P9, but I’ll still be looking to see is xda have picked it up. If it’s not I’m gonna get her an iPad mini 😫

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mediapad_m3_8_4-8315.php

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love