Libre Office oddity

HOME Forums Tech Software Talk Libre Office oddity

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by dwynnehugh 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Just wondering if anyone can throw some light on this:

My uncle is writing what might be his 3rd book and is using LO Writer v6 or fairly up to date version.  Anyway the problems is – say having typed some number of pages (say 12), when the words start appearing on the next new page (13) the previous 12 pages seem to disappear and to date I have not been able to recover their contents at all.  It seems that the whole simply deletes itself.

Anyone any ideas?  As far as I can see, this is not the first time this has happened, he 95 yrs old, quite good with computers (using them) has written 2 other books via LO but has had this problem at least twice previously.  Backup etc …..hmmmmm – let’s not go there.

I can’t see what he could be doing to delete 12 pages or so. The ‘lost pages’ are not to be found in the ‘litter bin’ or anywhere else on his PC as far as I can see (used Teamviewer to examine it).

Anyone any ideas at all.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Spread the love
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,174

Just plucking at straws, but could it be a RAM issue?

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 819

D-Dan,

Thanks for the response – the PC does not display any other ‘symptoms’ at all just only as mentioned above.  Just wonder if it is an LO issue?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 495

My version 4.2.7.2

Tool/Options has a Load/Save page

Reports of lost pages if saving as docx

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,687

Not a fix, but a possible workaround while you fix the issue – Can you install Google Drive? Apparently it’s got version history for any document uploaded, for 30 days. If you add his book save folder to Drive, it should upload automatically. Add Libre Office autosave set for every ten minutes or so, and he shouldn’t lose too much work if he gets caught out.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,139

Like the Autosave but I have an easier idea than Google Drive. With W10 and W7 you can use the “File History” backup option to a USB stick. In File Explorer in the Properties of the file there’s a tab called Previous Versions that will be populated with just that.

I believe only incremental changes to the files are saved so it should be quite reasonable on space requirements, but USB sticks are dirt cheap these days. My Memory always have a deal on.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,360

Check his LibreOffice is up to date!

“LibreOffice before 2017-01-02 has an out-of-bounds write caused by a heap-based buffer overflow”

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Thank you one and all, at least I now have something to investigate.  Dave

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Have now updated his LO to v 6.1 which I hope might cure the problem. Can anyone please tell me out of interest, how do you find the version numbers of installed software?

Many thanks,   Dave

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,687

It’s usually listed under Help – About, but I don’t have LO installed to check.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 906

In fairness, Libreoffice usually has a nag in the top right of the window asking to update (at least on Windows it does).

Tippon is right on how to find it for LO. Other software will vary, but similar steps. Control Panel Add Remove programs shows it for some as well.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Yes thanks to both of you.  I have found the Version number as described.

It was my elderly uncle who had the problem and he told me that he had not had the suggestion to upgrade for some time. Updated now via Ninite.

Thanks to you all who responded – hopefully another crisis over!!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love