Tech Linux Talk Linux Journal – Freebie

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Drezha 1 month, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 95 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

From HUKD – the mag is closing down which is a shame (as we know from our own mag) – silver lining is the entire archive is available for download – piecemeal or as a single 700Mb-ish download (top of the linked page).

Link

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

Thanks for the link, shame about the Mag. There was a ‘golden period for tor tech mags from the 70s (Byte Mag, PC Plus etc) through to the early noughties but then the bottom slowly dropped out. Maker mags (Raspi etc ) seem to be soldiering on but it seems that no-one and no journo job is ‘safe’ in today’s environment.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

Shame on the mag, as has been said above, we experienced this a year or two ago.

It seems the internet killed the PC mag space. Ironically if the mags weren’t so good at their job, the internet could still be the plaything of the geek. They sort of killed themselves.

Side note, the feeling of sadness when the 700mb download starts and say 5mins plus, and you sigh. Then realise you’re spoilt. Just a few years ago that would take hours a decade ago would be days, and blow your cap.

I’ve dabbled in Linux on and off, mainly mint and Ubuntu, but I’m defo a noob. The majority of the mags will be obsolete, but the later ones may hold some gems.

The pi mag was mentioned above. It’s good and thriving 1. Cos pi is the ‘in thing’, and 2. It’s a super-focused magazine.

It’s a decent mag, and nice mag to read on a tablet when waiting for folk (read wife).

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

Thanks for the link, shame about the Mag. There was a ‘golden period for tor tech mags from the 70s (Byte Mag, PC Plus etc) through to the early noughties but then the bottom slowly dropped out. Maker mags (Raspi etc ) seem to be soldiering on but it seems that no-one and no journo job is ‘safe’ in today’s environment.

Yeah air of inevitability about it all. Interesting to see that books are fighting back (and possibly winning) against kindle/ebooks but mags are in the”real-time” market and they don’t stad a chance. Still miss my MM weekly installment – the CPC catalogue is the only physical thing (books aside) I read now.

Drezha
    Participant
    • Total Posts 312
    • @drezha
      Forumite Coins: 102

I did get a subscription to MagPi this year for Christmas so I’m hoping that one remains running for the time being!

On another note, I also have a newspaper subscription (shock!), though that’s only to RAF News.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
JayCeeDee, tina10, Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm