Forumite

Local Exercise

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

This is where we are taking our daily exercise, along the River Lud/canal, called locally the Riverhead. The old warehouses date from a time when the Riverhead was a barge port, served from Grimsby by a combination of river and stretches of canal. Even in ‘normal’ times, it becomes quiet and peaceful after a short walk. During the present times, it is positively eerie in stretches. The waterfowl, gulls and Kingfishers have begun to increase noticeably in numbers. It was about to have a good sum of money spent upon it to clear the canal and rebuild a broken weir, but Covid has put a stop to that. We live just around the corner from it and it was one place we looked forward to seeing again: when we lived further north in Louth until 2003, we would often walk through the countryside to get there. Eventually it opens out into beautiful, open countryside. It has always been a good Blackberry gathering spot, the banks are lined with them. Hope to be OK in Autumn to take advantage of that. How nature soon takes over, when man begins to cease visiting in numbers.

Our walk was a bit sobering, because all the countryside we once walked through is now full of hundreds of houses, some quite expensive. I grew a little annoyed that a once-attractive public path has been allowed to be built over. But hey, that’s life I suppose, Louth is obviously growing fast now, as witness the massively expanding industrial estate on the A16, just north of town. I’m afraid I walked my Gert’s little legs off, she is now fast asleep in the lounge!

Of course we stepped aside from the very few other walkers and they stepped aside for us. Never been thanked for walking away from people before!

Riverhead pics:

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,719

You should swim it Bob. šŸ‘

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,545

This is the main route into the city from our side of town, the Stoke Gifford Bypass. It goes straight down to the M32 and is used by the Metro buses. Normally I struggle to cross this road at any time of day. This was 11am on Sunday and in normal times on a day like this the bus stop would have a gaggle of people waiting to get into the centre and have a wander around the docks, get some street food and have a few beers in the sunshine.

This gives you an idea how far out I am, on the left is the valley going into Bristol which is way out of sight. The buildings on the horizon are the University of the West of England (UWE) student village. Now being used by NHS workers as there’s a new Nightingale Hospital in the UWE conference centre. Thankfully currently empty.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,719

I had to drive to Manchester on Saturday gone. Collecting my lad from the airport. Motorway almost empty, mostly trucks, straight in and out, 2h round trip with a wait at thd airport.

A normal weekend trying to tenter north wales can be difficult (one road in), a bankholiday however, means avoid the inbound motorway at all costs. You could be hours taking a normal 20min drive.

It was a bit surreal. It was travelling midweek at 3am, but at 12pm bank holiday afternoon.

Shame my lad had to admit defeat on Aus, but he has an open return hoping he can make it back there. Thou it looks like it will be New Zealand, when this blows over.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,638

I’ve found that on the few occasions that we venture out, to the beach for a walk or for shopping, the roads are almost completely clear. The one thing that I’ve noticed is that I’m taking the lack of other cars in my immediate vicinity for granted. I’m not indicating so much now – one thing I berated others about previously!! – I have to make myself think twice when approaching roundabouts and junctions because you can mostly just get straight on or out without needing to stop.

It will be a culture shock when it all gets back to normal. B-)

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,468

You should swim it Bob. šŸ‘

I ain’t submerging my ricketty old bod in that stuff! Wildfowl and gulls crap in it, it’s full of weed which is long enough to trap shaky old legs. One consolation is that there is nothing dumped in it such as supermarket trolleys and old bikes. Although there is an old fishing cabin further downstream which has been very slowly sliding down the bank for years. It was about 5 feet further up in 2003. Louth is laid back, not much happens in a hurry.

I remember the M55 in summer Steve, last time we went to Llandudno. I took a chance after a stationary 20 minutes and followed another car, didn’t stop following until I got into Llandudno via the back roads. Doubt I will remember that route again though. I would advise your lad to take the NZ option when he can choose. Oz is a lot more ‘foreign’, but he will be a Pom whichever he chooses. EDIT: if he goes to Oz, anywhere near Melbourne, I have a mate from workshop days who runs a Harley-Davidson dealership. I could intro him.

JayCeeDee, at this time of year our roads are usually gearing up for Grockles pouring into Skeg and Mablethorpe. In the winter the roads are quiet, but not as quiet as they are now. Had to go to No. 1 son’s house about 9 miles from us now and take him something by placing it on the deck and then having a Social Distance convo: bit difficult with my poor hearing. Driving those 9 miles I saw just 2 vehicles, both trucks. Coming back, 3 trucks and a police car, which totally ignored me. Maybe he was worried by me singing my head off to Elvis on the stereo.

Will there be a “normal”? I think changes are inevitable.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,933

NZ is known by the natives as ‘GodsOwn’ for very good reason. Lovely place, great people but be careful of mouthing off about sporting matters – they take it really seriously. However if you feel like taking a dig at Ozzies they will join in with glee.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.