Forumite

Long time new build

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

Given my pcs was built in 2009 (i7 920 have) and done some excellent service in that time, add the kids want access to my steam games I thought it was time for a pc refresh

I have no idea what cpu GPU or even HDD is relevent today. So help is needed.

I don’t need anything super powerful as they will be using the 24″ 1080p monitors. And to start with I’ll be keeping the gtx970, I think that should be good enough for now.

So what cpu and mobo should I be looking at? I’ll likely keep my 800w PSU as that is only a couple of years old, and I’m assuming CPUs are more economical today.

Any help much appreciated. I wouldn’t mind an unlocked CPU, (if they are still a thing)

Edit-

Bolt in WiFi and Bluetooth on the mobo would nice.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by The Duke.
Viewing 13 replies - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,715

Never owned a Mac personally, there is a handful in the house (my eldest worships at the alter of Steve Jobs), however I did get an iPad pro 2020 and the stupidly expensive keyboard, and it’s a cracking “laptop” and probably quicker than most proper laptops.

I once had an iPad 2 and the think must of lasted 7 years or more. It impressed me, even thought i actually never liked it. My 2 year old used it daily untill she was about 10. She now has has a fist gen iPad pro.

Thought if I was byimg today I’d get the new air, it does all the pro does at a fraction of the price.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,913

My Apple loving son is faced with two years of living in a building site (revamping his home), and will be without a study and his usual multi-monitor setup. He is seriously considering a networked  Macbook Air as his main/sole production machine (compile time is a big consideration for him).

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,965

You do have to wander now that Apple have switched to Arm. Are the days of x86 dominance coming to an end.

But then The apple chip must be limited in some ways. maybes alot?

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,913

It is built like a pad so it has the limitations of a pad. Multitasking is OK but not great . It is in games that limitations of the built-i graphics will be evident. In terms of grunt it is faster than a 1050Ti, but graphics isn’t just a question of threads and flops.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,307

I never did like the X86 architecture, in my opinion the 8086 was just two 8085’s bolted together so Intel could say they had a 16 bit processor. The segmented memory addressing seemed to be the result of just paging in 64K blocks like the 8085 could address. There was no memory protection and the CPU its self had no notion of an interrupt priority level. It was not even in the same LEAGUE as something like the Motorola 68000.

Over the years though, all the above shortcomings were fixed and the AMD 64 bit extensions finally introduced a CPU operating mode that ditches most of the historical baggage.

Intel themselves tried to replace X86 with the all new Itanium but the huge base of existing X86 software made it a non starter.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for the death of X86 just yet if I were you 😁

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

The chip in the iPad is fantastic. Just watching such a small “pc” rendereing video faster than most pcs is astonishing.

Right guys, I got the bundle Dave mentioned 2700x iirc. Now my kids don’t want a ps5, so what is a decent card to pair with this set up. (I’m currently out the loop), the 970 I have doesn’t look that bad, for 1080p and the price for something better.

So guys what Should I do?

I’m a bit tips so spelling may be off 😃

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,634

I’m a bit tips so spelling may be off 😃

Actually, it’s miles better than most other posts from you – but don’t take that as validation to get p*ssed more often!! :yahoo: :whistle:

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Hi guys, off the top of my head I can’t recall if I got a 250 or500 Mme drive. Can I Chuck a 1tb HDD in and merge the Mme to the HDD, and use it a a huge cache. Or is that not a thing no more?</p>
    I’ve not even got version of Windows for it yet. I was gonna “borrow one” untill I don’t have to.

Though I will be using it form work once or twice so I may as well put a propper version on it 😉

Before anyone moans I’ve got 3 win laptops and 2 ligit desktops, so I alway pay up in the end.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by The Duke.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,532

You want AMD’s StoreMI

B550 coming in Q3 so might not be available just now. I installed the previous version on the same bundle you’ve got and it works well. Backup apps don’t seem to understand what’s going on though so I don’t do “system” or o/s backups and just stick to file backups.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,136

I’ve not even got version of Windows for it yet. I was gonna “borrow one” untill I don’t have to.

You don’t need a product key to run Windows.

Apparently.

I don’t know how the digital licensing works but I changed my system and signed in and Windows is using a Pro license that is attached to my account apparently. :scratch:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,532

Cheap enough on E-Bay, that’s where I get them for less than a fiver. Look for ones with instant delivery.

If you need one to upgrade from Home to Pro makes sure it specifies that and there’s often a trick you need to do to get it to work even with one you get from MS (involves disconnecting from the net, putting in a generic key then rebooting). Upgrades take less than 5 mins.

Participant
    wasbit
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 1,371

There are also Microsoft generic keys though I’ve always removed the ethernet cable before installing, which also allows me a local account

https://winaero.com/generic-keys-to-install-windows-10-version-2004/

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Core i7/GA-H55M-UD2H - a Freegle donation
    Rig 2: The 'Dave Laptop Special' HP Elitebook 8440P
    The 'Dave Special' & '43 Special' found new owners but have now been scrapped.

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,307

In my experience, if you buy a pro key to upgrade from the home version and use the ” Anytime upgrade” option then it will say that your key is invalid at the end of the upgrade process but you will find that it actually DID do the upgrade and all is well 🤔

Viewing 13 replies - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.