• Creator
    Topic
    Boris
    Participant

Details

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bob Williams
      Participant

It creates a horrible sinking feeling that the planet may be irretrievably screwed up. How can something like this happen to such a beautiful spot? Then I consider that I live in an area that has an organisation responsible for ensuring that most of the water and effluents from East Midlands rivers, streams, dykes and ditches, drains to the sea as fast as possible:

http://tinyurl.com/y9uc7waj

At this time of the year, the work of the Lindsey Drainage Board is very important. This (Eastern) side of the Wolds is currently edging towards an overflow. Our local chalk streams are in full flow, there is a lot of standing water across roads and fields. We have some massive dykes as the land gets closer to the sea, some are actually dual dykes, they look like two large rivers running parallel, separated by about 25 feet of land. If those back up, East Lindsey is in trouble. All of this discharge must of course be full of microplastics. If we cannot do something about this now, there may be some aquatic life extinctions.

EDIT: a comprehensive Flood warning list:

http://tinyurl.com/y8aqs5jn

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
        I'm out.

Spedley
        Participant

I know it’s a short way off yet but I have so many hopes for carbon nano-tubes and yet it looks like they will be a major ecological problem.  A bit like asbestos crossed with micro-plastic.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Ed P
          Participant

I don’t know if anyone watched the Beeb clip showing the procedure used for measuring plastic in water. As shown it consisted of burying an open-ended cylinder into the bottom sediment then stirring that up with the water in the container. The resulting soup was then used to get the claimed numbers. OK it is obviously a possibly reproducible number, but plastic in actual water it isn’t. That is not to say there is anything to be proud of, but it is more a measure of pollution over time than the current level of water borne pollution. In the Beeb clip they said the Mersey near Manchester was more polluted. I can easily believe that comment.

As a side note, Denmark complains that currently sampling and analysis lacks the consistency necessary to establish regulatory standards for food and water.

wasbit
            Participant

What I can’t work out is how it’s getting into the rivers & oceans in massive amounts. Find out how & stop it at source. Whatever the outcome, it will be joe public that has to pay for the clean up in one way or another.

--
              Regards
              wasbit

Rig 1: Optiplex 3050 SFF
              Rig 2: Asus ROG G20CB (rebuilt wreck)
              Rig 3: HP Elitebook 8440P

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
            Forumite