Lost contacts

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Lost contacts

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by JayCeeDee 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Two days a go I get my phone out to give my manager a quick call and… my contacts are gone. Most of them. About half a dozen still there out of a few dozen.

Any ideas what could have happened or what to do to try and recover them?

I think Google might be to blame. I’ve been having pop up messages on my phone advising various things I should do on my phone and in a moment of weakness I enabled some “back up and sync”. I think it backs up my data on my Google account. I thought what a heck they must know what they are doing so why not. Maybe it will come useful some day. Then there was another thing I noticed – a few times I caught some Google app updating itself using my data. I remember I did enable some setting that allows only WiFi updates. So I dug a bit deeper and found some more hidden setting in which all was disable except Google and I think messaging. So I disabled Google. I have a feeling that might be the reason of lost contacts. Maybe Google wasn’t happy not having that freedom.

Anyway, I’m rambling now. I’ll go see if I can find anything in my Google account setting (never been there before) but if you guys have any ideas shoot them at me.

Cheers!

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 464

I should have checked my phone before making this post… I had my phone off all night and now the contacts are back. Not sure if all is back or some still missing. No way of telling. But the strange thing is that after the contacts went missing I did turn off my phone and then back on again. The contacts were still missing. Not sure why they are back this time.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

I’ve only ever let Google look after my contacts and I’ve never lost any, how were you saving contacts before? It may be they are still there wherever that is. May be they needed transferring to Google?

If you log into Chrome on with your google account you can see what contacts Google has attached to your account. It’s also a lot easier to import contacts from there, they’ll then be synced to your phone.

Whatever I doubt it’s due to petulance on Google’s part.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I’ve only ever let Google look after my contacts and I’ve never lost any, how were you saving contacts before? It may be they are still there wherever that is. May be they needed transferring to Google? If you log into Chrome on with your google account you can see what contacts Google has attached to your account. It’s also a lot easier to import contacts from there, they’ll then be synced to your phone. Whatever I doubt it’s due to petulance on Google’s part.

Hi Dave,

As you can see in my second post above the contacts just reappeared. I tried looking inside my Google account and did find my Backups but they wouldn’t let me look at it. And it had no contacts. Just apps and something else, and the date was rather from February… Way too confusing. If something is not readily obvious how to use I don’t bother. So just disabled backups and my phone. I never used any backups before in my life and never had any problems. I’ll continue that way.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

Contacts are not backed up in the same way android back ups are. Your contacts are simple syncd to your Gmail account/contacts. So check there. If I have a few contacts to fill in, ill usually do them on a PC, in Gmail, as its quicker than doing it on the phone.

I’ve used google contacts since before android, and never had an issue with lost numbers. Quite the opposite in fact it is great at merging duplicates atc.. I get quite annoyed with people that routinely asked for my number cos the lost their phone.

It’s  takes more effort to not cloud save ones contacts. Long gone are the days when id get my wife to input all my contacts to my newest phone. Just sign in an they appear.

We use to have a 3rd party service that would keep mine and the wife’s contacts in sync. That was a great bit of kit. But sadly they went out of business about 7 years ago.

I don’t think android natively backs up call lists and SMS messages, but there are many apps for that. I like push bullet for it, as it separates your messages out by what phone you had when you sent it. But many stands alone apps like evolve SMS has a backup feature built in, that you can set to upload when you wish. Most back up apps, use google drive to store the backups, so you may as well just use any built in android backups, as it gets stored in the same place anyhow.

You can usually open the backups to inspect as they are in some language the app understands and or encrypted. But many apps just send an excel style spreadsheet in plain text. I’d always opted for the encrypted service.

When you talk of data, all apps and the os give you the option to sync on wifi only.

I always set mine to wifi only AND only when charging. You don’t want to disable any google or even any app updates, as the majority are bug and security fixes to apps. By not updating your apps your making your device less secure or less stable.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,152

I put my Gert’s Google account on my devices as a backup, and mine on hers. When I sign in to Google, I am presented with 2 accounts, and so is SWMBO. This takes trust I know, but neither of us has a secret from the other. Well, I don’t think so… well, not on t’internet, anyway… (cringe)😎😊

That way we can both look at photos and stuff, whenever we like. I love the fact that having a Google account on all my devices, allowing  Google to Backup and Sync, means I never lose anything it has. I have saved the accounts of 3 friends and family that way.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Bob you can share both photo albums to each other from with on the goole photo app.

Open app, open the side menu (top left, 3 lines), there to will see add partner account. I’ve not used it, but imagine when she accepts it will merge photo libraries. Or least show them merged, until you digitally divorce.

For years all my kids had my account om their devices so they had access to apps i bought. Now google had google family, where you can nominate 5 family members to share apps with. It’s good as on y 9 yo account because she is below 18, when she wants to buy an app etc, i get a notification and i have to ok it.

The only issue is, my family is 7, so one doesn’t make it into my google family. Lol. It’s the wife. She can by her own stuff.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by The Duke.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Duke, can you gimme a link where you manage your contacts? I can’t find anything in my account settings.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Contacts.google.com should do it.

The easiest way, bar the direct link, is open Gmail (mail.google.com), then towards the left top, there is a button the say ‘Gmail↓’ if you tap that, you get the contacts option. Click that and you there.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by The Duke.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

As I said earlier, login to Chrome on a PC then open up Gmail. On the left the big GMAIL in red is a drop down box. The other options are Contacts and Tasks.

On your phone you should already have a Contacts app, but the full blown Contacts you install and get to can get to from gmail. Touch the hamburger menu to open the sidebar and scroll down.

But as Duke says, organising list is a lot easier on the PC. Chrome is your gateway to the Google world IF you sign into it.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I just had a thought, some phones default to save to phone. Iirc samsungs do this. The wife’s p9 defaults the calendar to save to phone which had often caught us out, considering we share a calander! So you need toake sure when you put your next number I’m your phone that it say ‘save to xxxxx.Gmail.com’ instead of ‘save to phone’

Also you need to make sure in the maim android settings menu that you have contact sync on. It is on by default but you said you have been messing with the options. I have all the google sunc stuff checked. Contacts, calendar, photo, tasks etc.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I found the contact list. It’s all there and more. A huge amount of duplicates. Why would there be duplicates when the name and number is identical? Also some names are cut off half way (they have no endings). Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the service. And I think maybe it can’t handle multiple names and numbers in one contact field (for example Club Members), which I just checked and it is not available on my current phone but my previous phone did have it. Now it’s just Club Members, Club Members, Club Members… and the names of the members are gone. This is giving me a head ache. I’ll have to come back to this another day when I feel I can face this mess 🙂

The Duke
    @sgb101

There is a menu in there somewhere to merge contacts . years ago when android was new, you ended up with lots of duplicates etc. That was to do with the way htc sense and Samsung touch wiz handled contacts slightly different to Gmail.

Though i really it took only about ten mins to sort it out on a PC.

Make sure you have your phone set to sync contacts checked. Or use this as am opportunity to reset your phone and clean not out. It will then by default sync your contacts as soon as you log in.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,195

We use to have a 3rd party service that would keep mine and the wife’s contacts in sync. That was a great bit of kit. But sadly they went out of business about 7 years ago.

I set up a spare Gmail account just for bills and things, and put that on both our phones. I use that whenever I set up a new energy account, or anything else that concerns the both of us. It would be simple enough to use that as the main account for both our contacts and let it sync to all devices.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Ues there is work around, but we are both entrenched now. It’s not that bad as we share calendars. Etc easy enough.

Well as the wife isn’t tech oriented, i set up the shares on her account, so all she has to do is log in, And it share with me. As from my end i have to select her account when i add to it. If we done this the other way round, she forgets to select the 3rd party calendar. So i learnt fast i have to give her the least steps possible, other wise it all breaks down.

I let her hold the tv remote once. It didn’t end well.  😏

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 874

I let her hold the tv remote once. It didn’t end well. 😏

A very current issue this one. I went to bed at 12 last night – the wife stays up and does housework and watches TV until her back and hips are “comfortable” enough not to cramp, so she can sleep.

I got woken at 1.30 last night to be told she’d knocked the remote off the table when she was dusting and now there was no volume from the TV!!!! It took a half asleep husband 10 minutes going through menus on the remote and  on the TV until I found a menu that offered sound out of the TV speakers!!! Happy I wasn’t!!!

I once gave her a fully automatic Sony camera to take a rare picture of me, it’s me that takes 99% of the photos which is why I’m never in any of them. She held the camera, but before she could press the shutter release, she asked me what the “funny noise” was……………. she’d pressed the concealed button underneath that rewound the film for processing!!!!! I didn’t have a spare film on me as I’d just started a roll of 36!!

Methinks they come from the same mold, Steve!!!

The Duke
    @sgb101

You would think my wife is an executioner if you seen the photos she takes.

They have no heads . that would be a good joke is wasn’t 100% true.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Your Doris needs lessons from my Gert, Steve. She chops off feet: they could teach each other. Or not…

I think she does it on purpose, as she is only 4feet 9 tall. I reckon she is trying to cut everybody else down to size. Whole family knows about her photos: today we all had one of our meal “do’s” and she tried to take a photo with her camera. Grandson rescued the camera and took it. Then one of the waitresses volunteered to take one: climbed on a chair, took the photo, handed phone back and fell off.

Daft stuff follows us around, we have some riotous get-togethers. Whole family is bonkers.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Sounds like I’m picking on her, but (lol not goods ever comes after a ‘but’), she seems incapable of getting a shot in focus.

It doesn’t matter what thr pjon3 or camera is, she will get 1 in ten in focus if she is lucky, and if she is really lucky that one in focus happens to be the one with a head.

Bruriness usually comes from bad light, so most older phones i understand. My phone the pixel and my old 6p, are famous for there low light performance. I could show you 100 photos i took one day at Camp Nou, when I left my nikon charger at home, and they are wonderful. Not with Doris tho, she just can’t do it. I think she does it on purpose tbh.

We go to weddings, as we all do, and ill take my Nikon. When we look through the shots afterwards, you can see the batches she took and the ones i took, very clearly. (Mainly cos hers ain’t).

Our last wedding in sept, my 9 year old also took over the camera at one point point, and followed the photographer round for an hour getting lessons. She has now officially surpassed her mother.

It’s like anything tech related just refuses to work for her (not she refuses to listen!).

It’s not like she has a bad phone camera either, her Huawei P9 has an excellent duel lens set up tuned by Leica. It’s very good indeed. But not in her hands.

I’ll stop now, i just hope she never visits this thread. Lol.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I have actually given SWMBO permission to use my desktop while I am in hospital, she has the password. As long as she does not find the one for Forumite, I should be OK.

She doesn’t like the 24″ screen after her 15.6″ lappy, so I don’t think she will be spending much time here.

I hope…

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 874

The last time I answered the mobile and needed the wife to talk to the caller, I got handed the phone back after she finished.

The next day all was very quiet. I ended up, the following day, getting a phone call on the landline, asking me if I’d lost the mobile!! I checked it and instead of just hanging up, she’d managed to switch it into “Airplane Mode”. I check every time I get it back off her now.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love