Lost Photos

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Lost Photos

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Les. 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Somewhere after the new 240SSD failure I managed to lose some photos. Taken between 1st and 19th Nov, mostly involving drainage and foundation laying, and I NEED THEM. When I take photos, I remove the memory chip from camera, connect to PC, download photos to “Pictures”, then delete off memory chip (SDMMC type). That probably happened half a dozen times in the “missing” period, with just one on last session (which I still have on PC).

Is there any way I may recover some or most of these?  It is a 4GB stick, typical size of photo is 2.8MB.

If possible, how do I go about it. I have put a 2GB stick in camera, so no chance of further overwriting.

Les

Spread the love
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

There is a very good chance that nothing can be recovered. Had you done it once and realised your error you would probably have been able to recover it all.

However, be that as it may your first step should be to do a dd clone of the card. (do not forget to umount the card first!). Then you MUST only work on that copy as there is a high probability you will screw it up!  For Linux use Photorec (install using Synaptic it comes up as Testdisk).

Good luck – you will need lots!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Ed P.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

You could try the app ‘recuva’ and run your sd card through it. But that’s all I coidp think of. I’ve had both success and failure from it.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

You may be better off looking on your Linux drive, assuming you have not binned it:

link

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 247

SSD went back to suppliers (Picstop) so this afternoon I had the bright idea of asking if it was still available. I also asked about replacement. Quick reply. Replacement sent, tracking No link. Nowt else, so no access. I went through every other drive that I might have copied it to, but nothing. I had saved a full copy a few days before, but when I reinstalled on another drive (which MAY have had a copy) I copied across .thunderbird  .mozilla and .kodi. I recopied all of docs, but probably did not do pictures, thinking already up to date.

I will get another SD card and clone it there, then see what can be done. This was all evidence, having started foundations without sending for building regs people. Idiot me.

Les.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 247

Not sure what happened, but I (thought I had) posted here yesterday?

Anyway,  I installed Photorec (Testdisk) and attempted some undelete.

A modicum of success. I recovered about 20 – 25 photos, just 7 of which were “missing”. Of those, three were from the “Very Wanted” ones, and four were of a little motorcycle for sale (Sold!). Looking through my “Pictures”, I have xxx68 and xxx90, so there were just 20 missing, so it would seem my success rate was about 30%.

Testdisk  finds a deleted, named -xx78, obviously corresponding to an original xxx78, but it is not possible to rename it. (Of course it probably CAN be renamed, but not by me just yet). What I did manage was to open each one in Libre office draw, rename that, and export as a jpeg if required.

Some you win, some you lose, this has been a curates egg experience.

Les.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love