Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Windows Talk Macrium Reflect Free

• Creator
    Topic
    Rob
    Participant

Does anyone use Macrium Reflect Free to backup their files.

I only wish to backup recent additions and recently modified files. not the full monty.

Using a Seagate Backup Plus 5 TB External

Thanks

Rob

PC1512 shipped with 512K of RAM 8 MHz Intel 8086Two 5.25" floppy drives Colour Monitor with CGA display extra 640×200 16 colour mode MS-DOS 3.2 and Digital Research DOS Plus Cost £1049.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Ed P
      Participant

Sorry no, but if you are using Windows 10 it is very important that you make a USB boot disk with whatever backup utility you are using. Uefi on modern PCs can be most unforgiving if you make any mistakes when restoring a backup image. Without a boot usb you can find it really hard to get out of the deep poo! Make a boot usb label it and store it safely away somewhere.

Laptops can be 1000% worse if they have trusted boot and a tpm module installed — I would not just recommend a boot usb for backups I would recommend it for every situation!

For the sort of situation you want to cover I use Cobian Backup – it is very light, versatile and does really good shadow copies. This is donation software, the original developer has moved on, but the guy running the download sitte deserves a few shekels.

Wheels-Of-Fire
        Participant

Like Mr p above I dont know your back up program but i think you need a full back up before you can do an incremental back up. Could be wrong though ?

Ed P
          Participant

Cobian Backup only does files it is not a full system + file backup like Macrium. Tbh I only do a full system when I have installed new software. For backup of work, music etc a file backup system like Cobian is much more useful than (say) Acronis. It does both full and incremental file backup to schedule  and it uses shadow copy s o it does not interfere with running files. It can use ftp so will happily backup locally or to a remote location.

Wheels-Of-Fire
            Participant

Just saw your footer Rob. I would have got the same spec as that PC but I only had £350. Got an Atari 800XL with one floppy drive and 64k of ram instead. Got on the PC bandwagon later with a 286 laptop my company gave me.

Dave Rice
              Participant

I trialled Macrium Reflect Free and ToDo free on different systems but in the same time period. I settled on ToDo.

100% agree with the boot USB stick. ToDo let’s you create one based on WinPE or Linux, USB, DVD or ISO image. I’ve used the WinPE USB in a test recovery situation.

Rob
                Participant

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay in replying – visitors!

Appreciate all the feedback

I have a full backup but just require to update new stuff, I shall investigate further.

As to the PC mentioned in my footer – my wife said at least I had the decency to blush after spending the money. Said I had to buy it quick as it was the last in the shop!

Rob

PC1512 shipped with 512K of RAM 8 MHz Intel 8086Two 5.25" floppy drives Colour Monitor with CGA display extra 640×200 16 colour mode MS-DOS 3.2 and Digital Research DOS Plus Cost £1049.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                  Participant

Any luck ?

And as to the computer purchace. OH what a tangled web we weave etc. etc. ?

Rob
                    Participant

Not yet Graham, more visitors arrived.

Rob

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                    Forumite