Forumite

Marathon under 2 hours.

HOME Forums Sports Athletics Marathon under 2 hours.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Marathon under 2 hours. 3Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,986

As an ex-distance runner myself, I think that is a fantastic achievement. I tried one Marathon when I was really, really fit and I trained for about 6 months of solid endurance and stamina work. The actual marathon race nearly killed me, so I went back to cross-country and ’roundy-roundy’ track races, over 5- and 10,000 metres*. My problem (then and now) is that I cannot give up what I begin. It’s just that what I begin now, is of a different nature. Example: a few days ago my SWMBO was not able to join my walk. I went down to the Lincolnshire Coast Path at Sutton on Sea and started walking south. About 3 hours later she phoned me in distress: Where the ***** !!! *** are you? It’s getting dark!” It took me a bit more than 3 hours to walk back. By the time I reached the car I just wanted to curl up on the back seat. That has not been forgiven yet…😙🙄

*Can’t recall who said this: ‘a man has to know his own limitations’. I found mine! But I did love running, reaching that sweet spot when you are floating above the ground. hearing and seeing nothing but the noise of your feet on the ground and the route you have to take.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Marathon under 2 hours. 4JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,759

…….reaching that sweet spot when you are floating above the ground. hearing and seeing nothing but the noise of your feet on the ground and the route you have to take.

Reminds me of a trip I once took!!!😘😝🙃

Participant
    Marathon under 2 hours. 5Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,256

The actual marathon race nearly killed me…/quote]

In the very hot summer of a couple of years ago the wife and I were walking the half marathon between Bradford on Avon and Bath along the canal towpath when we were stopped by a crowd of people of all ages running up a long steep hill out of Bath  Although the <50s were making a good fist of it, the older ones were within a hairs breadth of pushing themselves beyond their physical limits having only done a couple of miles. Luckily they had a group of medics at the top of the hill to try and dissuade the  more stupid ones from continuing their marathon attempts.

It struck me that people over 50 doing a marathon need to get their brains checked!

Participant
    @bullstuff2

It struck me that people over 50 doing a marathon need to get their brains checked!

Absolutely Ed, those people are beyond ludicrous. Although I sincerely wish that I had been able to retain the physical capability to continue running into my 70’s, I would never have contemplated such a distance long before then. At most I would have made perhaps 6 miles a day, 3 miles in the morning and 3 later, possibly evenings. As I am now in poorer health and physical abilities, I can still walk (at a reduced pace!) and much of the stamina I always possessed remains. Which means I may take off at any time I feel well enough and cover a great deal of ground, but in much longer times. Hence the wifely criticism!

There is staying fit to live longer and then there is over-exertion that shortens life.

Those older people you witnessed are doing themselves no favours. Quite apart from the damage to their ageing bodies by over exertion, there is the joint, spinal and muscle damage caused by the repeated shock of elderly feet hitting tarmac and concrete. This transfers shock into joints and muscles which no longer have the elasticity to resist the physical effects.

My quote ‘a man has to know his own limitations’ is very relevant there!

I'm out.

Participant
    Marathon under 2 hours. 7blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

I just listened to an interview on the radio with a journalist who was asked to try out the new (radically new) running shoes used by this athlete. He took three minutes off the time off his regular 12 km run time and said running had never felt easier. The shoes are apparently elevated at the front and are uncomfortable to walk in but a dream to run in. The material and technology is wrapped up tight in patents by Nike – who have been mentioned in dispatches during the recent discussions on athletics and “performance enhancement”.

I’m sure the shoes are completely legal for now – but like those funny swim suits may end up getting banned or at least restricted

Sadly the whole sport is tainted for me. and I view everything with suspicion which is a shame for the clean athletes – but I just don’t see it as s credible sport anymore.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

BL there is an increasing amount of technology creeping into athletics. Going back in history, it was the Greeks of Athens and other city states, who really created athletics and their track and field may not have always been completely fair: there were instances of city states taking dubious measures to ensure their athletes won. However, apart from disguised ‘short cuts’ the athletes all performed in the same or very similar gear to race, jump, and throw the same distances. But unfair competition was severely punished, sometimes other city states cooperated to attack the proven offender. Substance enhancement  (hello Vladimir) was also evident then, but not on a large scale.

It should all be about enjoying the activity, which is why I took to it. All 3 of us brothers inherited genetic problems and two of us dealt with it in our own ways: my big bro (RIP our ‘Ecker’) became a gymnast and put me on my first bike, dad gave me a pair of “Davies double roller-bearing” roller skates, which weighed about a hundredweight on each foot.😣😙 This strengthened our legs, which were affected by Ricketts inherited from dad. Both myself and big bro wore leg irons, middle bro would not and would not exercise at all. He is now suffering severe dementia, but all his life he was severely bow legged.

When I went to Technical school at 11, the school had an extensive sports curriculum and a large number of sports pitches. (Most of which were heavily sloped.) There was a huge reservoir across from the school and we were always tasked with running around it, leaping a ditch after about a mile. I began to like running and then loved it. I discovered something that I excelled at which also made me feel good and made me healthy. By the time I was around 14, I could outrun older boys over distance. I would enter a state of floating over the ground, no pain and just concentrate on the run. And I ran in simple plimsolls, baggy shorts and oversize House shirt. Eventually the Maths teacher/Football/Athletics coach found me some spikes, which I discovered later he had bought himself. That was typical of Mr Crofts. RIP Sir, you were The Man. I can still feel that blackboard eraser on my head!

I don’t think many schools have extensive pitches any more, but the current reliance on technology is dangerous and really typical of sport and other activities today. There has to be an ‘advantage’ in order to win and of course it is guided by hugely wealthy, multinational companies such as Nike. Sportsmanship and fair competition, in which the sportsperson achieves success by simply physical effort, is dying.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Marathon under 2 hours. 1Bob Williams.

I'm out.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.