Forumite

Marathon under 2 hours.

HOME Forums Sports Athletics Marathon under 2 hours.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

As an ex-distance runner myself, I think that is a fantastic achievement. I tried one Marathon when I was really, really fit and I trained for about 6 months of solid endurance and stamina work. The actual marathon race nearly killed me, so I went back to cross-country and ’roundy-roundy’ track races, over 5- and 10,000 metres*. My problem (then and now) is that I cannot give up what I begin. It’s just that what I begin now, is of a different nature. Example: a few days ago my SWMBO was not able to join my walk. I went down to the Lincolnshire Coast Path at Sutton on Sea and started walking south. About 3 hours later she phoned me in distress: Where the ***** !!! *** are you? It’s getting dark!” It took me a bit more than 3 hours to walk back. By the time I reached the car I just wanted to curl up on the back seat. That has not been forgiven yet…😙🙄

*Can’t recall who said this: ‘a man has to know his own limitations’. I found mine! But I did love running, reaching that sweet spot when you are floating above the ground. hearing and seeing nothing but the noise of your feet on the ground and the route you have to take.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

…….reaching that sweet spot when you are floating above the ground. hearing and seeing nothing but the noise of your feet on the ground and the route you have to take.

Reminds me of a trip I once took!!!😘😝🙃

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

The actual marathon race nearly killed me…/quote]

In the very hot summer of a couple of years ago the wife and I were walking the half marathon between Bradford on Avon and Bath along the canal towpath when we were stopped by a crowd of people of all ages running up a long steep hill out of Bath  Although the <50s were making a good fist of it, the older ones were within a hairs breadth of pushing themselves beyond their physical limits having only done a couple of miles. Luckily they had a group of medics at the top of the hill to try and dissuade the  more stupid ones from continuing their marathon attempts.

It struck me that people over 50 doing a marathon need to get their brains checked!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

It struck me that people over 50 doing a marathon need to get their brains checked!

Absolutely Ed, those people are beyond ludicrous. Although I sincerely wish that I had been able to retain the physical capability to continue running into my 70’s, I would never have contemplated such a distance long before then. At most I would have made perhaps 6 miles a day, 3 miles in the morning and 3 later, possibly evenings. As I am now in poorer health and physical abilities, I can still walk (at a reduced pace!) and much of the stamina I always possessed remains. Which means I may take off at any time I feel well enough and cover a great deal of ground, but in much longer times. Hence the wifely criticism!

There is staying fit to live longer and then there is over-exertion that shortens life.

Those older people you witnessed are doing themselves no favours. Quite apart from the damage to their ageing bodies by over exertion, there is the joint, spinal and muscle damage caused by the repeated shock of elderly feet hitting tarmac and concrete. This transfers shock into joints and muscles which no longer have the elasticity to resist the physical effects.

My quote ‘a man has to know his own limitations’ is very relevant there!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image