Mate 20 Pro

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Mate 20 Pro

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 15 hours, 48 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had a bit of a windfall yesterday in the Legion, bonus ball win with 4 weeks roll over.

So I’ve just ordered the Mate 20 Pro .

Should get the Watch Gt and the wireless charging pad via Huawei for nought.

It’s due on Friday.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,756

Looks a great device. I’ve got the p20pro and it’s very good. It lakes wireless charging, which has never bothered me, however my new incoming car has a witless charger. Typical after years of having wireless phone, and never using it!

Anyhow the only real down side to my P20pro (and the wife’s P20 non pro) is the front facing camera 20mp camera takes the worst selfies ever. You get this horrid beauty mode that even when off, it’s very on. Luckily I don’t do selfies, so it doesn’t bother me. Someone said if you take a selfie using a 3rd party camera app like snap chat, you don’t get the horrid beauty effect. So it’s defo software related. Apparently the aisans love their beauty smoothing. To me on full you like like plastic, on off, you look like a sky sports reporter on HD, ie full of makeup.

I’d recommend you install the Nova launcher and the pixel icon pack from the start. As EMUI launcher is bad. Trys to emulate the ios look, and it has no app draw like ios, so all your apps are on your desktop/homepage.

Li like a minimal look, only apps I use often live on my single homepage, the rest live in the draw. Out of site.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 713

I pre-ordered the same one on Friday – so hoping for the bundle package, too. I have an ETA of Friday, and since the offer is “While stocks last”, guess what I’ll be doing after Friday beers.

Oh, and I’m a Holo Launcher man myself, though I have the paid for version, which has a little more than the free one.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by D-Dan.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,307

Mines just arrived, setting it up now. Looks and feels really nice but that’s it so far.

Claim form done as well.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had some time with it now and I’m impressed.

It’s lightning fast, the in-screen fingerprint reader is very good, face detection is super quick and it mostly just works.

Had a few minor niggles, Waze wouldn’t work on Android Auto until I’d signed in twice, it just looked like it was crashing the car head unit. Home wifi also needed to be supplied with the pass twice, it worked fine until I put my SIM in and then it wouldn’t connect again. Forgot the network pass, logged on again, job done.

Have a tempered glass screen protector on it, was a bit dubious about it as the screen is edge to edge and curved, it fits perfectly. Bumper case should have arrived today but didn’t.

Just need to get my banking apps sorted and will be great, hoping to get some comparison photos with the 5T on Sunday.

My Instagram

My YouTube

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I agree. Loving it at the moment, though I had to remember my Google admin account login to enable assistant.

The new screen ratio will take a little getting used to, though. My case should arrive tomorrow. Gone for the equivalent of the one on my P9, which I love.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Bumper case arrived today, much happier carrying it around now.

Mate 20 Pro photo

OnePlus 5T photo.

The 5T looks way darker, the actual lighting conditions were more like shown in the Mate 20 Pro photo for both. Very impressed with this phone.

My Instagram

My YouTube

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Anyone figured out where on earth the files are stored from a restore from the old phone? Want to copy more music over, but the music folder on the Mate is empty. They are there somewhere, just can’t find them.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

Are they not off in Google land rather than being on the phone?

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 832

Have you sent them to an SD card at all, or did they just go there when transferred? I’ve just connected my phone via usb and the picture/music folders marked “internal storage” are empty, the corresponding folders on the SD card contain them. I think I told the phone to store them there away from the android system like I do on the PC.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

the Mate 20 pro doesn’t use standard SDCards (Huawei have designed their own proprietary one, which is not yet available), so nope, not on the SDCard. But if I check storage usage, I have 40Gb used, so they are in the internal storage somewhere, and not in Google’s cloud.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Try ES File Explorer. 

I went for a fresh phone this time so can’t help other than that.

My Instagram

My YouTube

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 754

Yes ES should find it – you might need to install a plugin (can’t remember) but in the ES menu, if you go to tools/menu/sd card analyst it will prompt you if you need the plug in. It will show you directories in order of size, and drilling down should find your music folder(s).

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Just bust out the supplied USB C earbuds as the fireworks are doing my head in. I hate headphones/ earbuds but I might change my mind soon. So clear and crisp, lots of little bits in the background I’ve never noticed before. For reference it’s currently Queen  Greatest Hits 2.

I’m using them on my Chromebook as I can charge and plug them in at the same time, minimum volume is louder than I’d like but at least it drowns out the rsoles.

Edit.

They also don’t fall out of my awkward ear holes. So far anyway, that’s a first for me.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 793

One advantage USB headphones can share with digital active speakers is that the DAC/Amp can be tuned to the drivers they are hooked to because they will never be connected to anything else. With a HiFi Amp and passive speakers they can only try to have as flat a response as possible.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Tried out the 240 fps super slow motion today on an airplane, really impressive.

Also tried out the 5X zoom, again I’m impressed.

The ship was just a faintly visible blob.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Just had a text from Huawei, my claim has been validated so I just have to wait for my freebies to turn up now. 😀

My Instagram

My YouTube

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Had a game of Russian roulette with my battery. Took it off charge on Saturday morning at 7am, and haven’t plugged it back in yet. Normal weekend usage (which is a little heavier than weekday). Bluetooth music on the commute to and from work today. Couple of calls, bluetooth speakers overnight for my sleeping music, a bit of gaming yesterday (Real Racing 3 – quite a heavy game, with some 3D Bowling thrown in), FB browsing etc. 20:45 on Monday and still have 20% charge.

The battery life puts other smart phones to shame.

It will be charged tonight. I’m starting to lose my bottle.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

This just arrived. 😀

Dan, I know what you mean about the battery, if you turn the power saving functions on it last for days and days.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had a bot of a play with both items now and I’m impressed. The wireless charging pad recharges damn quick, feels good and just works. Slightly rubberised surface holds the phone in place nicely.

The watch looks really classy, apart from the strap which feels substantial but looks like it belongs on a £20 Casio from the 80’s. There’s 11 faces too choose from, most are good but some are a bit daft looking. The OS is definitely geared towards fitness rather than smart functionality.  I’ve only had it on for about an hour but it feels heavy on my wrist- I don’t wear watches normally though.

It’s well built and solid feeling, the 2 buttons feel very nice with a good ‘click’ to them. The recharging unit clicks nicely into place with the magnets and it doesn’t feel like it’s going to drop off.

Some will be disappointed in the lack of smart things but if it’s a nice looking well built activity tracker you’re after I’m sure there will be loads on ebay very soon.

I like it but I’m unsure if I’ll keep it, going to try it for a few days and see if it annoys me with the weight or not. Should mention mine is the all black one, a leather strap would look much better.  Photo.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,756

Pm my favourite watch face is called marine commander. Nothing to do with the forces, it just looks classy.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love