Forumite

Micro SD cards

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

I was browsing for a 56-128GB SD Card

I came across these (below) are such capacity capable of holding, are they any good, would I waste money.

400GB

1024GB

Cheers
    John

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,532

I would avoid them, the brand is “Genericca”. Probably fake.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,532

Meant to have said the Amazon’s choice is always a good bet. In this case for 128GB it’s an Integral Class 10 for £13.95.  There are some San Disk with faster speeds for a couple of quid more, but if it’s for putting in a phone or camera you’ll not notice the difference.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,618

Thanks Dave

I will avoid them, thanks for the tips I will look it.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,913

Just one comment – Amazon are pretty good with refunds so you would not waste money if the cards do not work at all or did not hold that capacity. However the biggest danger would be if you loaded the card up with data.images and they corrupted at a later date. I’d go with Dave’s recommendation as data corruption can be a bigger pain than losing £25.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,965

I have found that when buying generic but so called good quality at a given size and its a couple of quid cheaper than a true brand that the size is often smaller and just enough to be real annoying.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,715

If youre getting them from Amazon, day one load up a high gb file, then check it’s speeds. If it  passes it will work forever, however if it falls short Amazon will swap it

Or just look at the Amazon reviews, they usually won’t do u wrong

Rule of thumb of course

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,136

I’d been recommended to run h2testw on new microSD cards before use to ensure that they are the correct size.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,618

Thanks for the added input.

I did get the one off Daves link, well almost – I doubled it and went for the same but 256GB so far so good. It all went on and I hope it’s still there (as Ed says) when I need it. I have had past experience with larger ones going corrupt, they have been off Amazon but 3rd party and Amazon won’t help. As a rule I stick to Sandisk 8-to 128GB I did want a 512GB but can’t chance it on chepos, sandisk 512 out my price range.

I am tempted to try this  or the 1024 but will they last.

but

As suggested

Cheers
    John

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.