Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update delayed

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update delayed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Boris 18 hours, 18 minutes ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 190

Details :-

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-holds-releasing-windows-10-version-1803-public

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 272

what was the last update that made things any better for a normal user? don’t know about the rest of you but me and mine just tolerate it (Windows)  now, and the giant updates aren’t too intrusive (as a rule) but don’t seem to add much.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 410

A mate of mine has just asked me to move him to Linux he’s getting so fed up with updates. His wife has had a Chromebook for 5 years and he uses Libre Office so they’re not afraid of the world outside of Microsoft.

I haven’t, but I have set up an Ubuntu VM for him to give it a serious try. We’ll review it in a month but his first thoughts are it will easily do all he needs. The only fly in the ointment is he has Apple devices and will need iTunes. The plan is to do a Windows VM on Linux but that may end up just as much of a PITA.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

” The plan is to do a Windows VM on Linux…”

Depends what he wants to run. I have not yet found a transparent way of running anything that requires DirectX12. That rules out many modern games and some CAD/3D graphics stuff. DirectX 10 is all that is supported.

As a result I do it the Windows host with Linux VMs route, and feel let down by VMWare.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Coins: 164

Is Windows pro’s Hvper V any good ?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

According to this link HyperV’s Remote Fx is also a bit of a Curate’s Egg for GPU passthrough. (Not a true transparent  passthrough). For me it would offer no more than does VMWare, and possibly less.

This quote says it all:

I would not get excited that you can now start running a bunch of 3D games in Client Hyper-V. That’s not really what RemoteFX is for. A game might work, but it might not. More “run-of-the-mill” applications, like web browsers and operating system GUIs are incorporating 3D, and that’s where you’ll see the most differences with a RemoteFX adapter. As you can see in Device Manager, you’re not getting a direct projection of your video adapter, which means that you’re not going to be able to load the manufacturer’s specific hardware driver, which means that you cannot expose its full capabilities to the guest.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Coins: 164

Interesting link Ed. I didnt know you could get even THAT level of GPU support on a VM.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 648

I had a look at the list of ideas contained in the spring update and nothing caught my eye. Have I missed something really good, or was it a whole collection of items that did not amount to much ?

I am not knocking those who feel there are some must haves in the list, I just did not see any such items.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 648

I have just had another update of Windows 10 1709 and this time it has really improved the screen readability, not sure what else has changed but the clarity is hugely better. I might even be able to read what I write and perhaps even what other have written. It has just run through the update in the last 30 minutes.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 190

Well, it now looks like it is to be called the Windows 10 April Update ?

…………….. and rather than the 82 minutes for the Creators release, or the 51 minutesfor the Fall Creators update, this April update should take just 30 minutes ?

Details here ?

and Here

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.