Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update delayed

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update delayed

This topic contains 42 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 7 months, 1 week ago.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 794

what was the last update that made things any better for a normal user? don’t know about the rest of you but me and mine just tolerate it (Windows)  now, and the giant updates aren’t too intrusive (as a rule) but don’t seem to add much.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

A mate of mine has just asked me to move him to Linux he’s getting so fed up with updates. His wife has had a Chromebook for 5 years and he uses Libre Office so they’re not afraid of the world outside of Microsoft.

I haven’t, but I have set up an Ubuntu VM for him to give it a serious try. We’ll review it in a month but his first thoughts are it will easily do all he needs. The only fly in the ointment is he has Apple devices and will need iTunes. The plan is to do a Windows VM on Linux but that may end up just as much of a PITA.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

” The plan is to do a Windows VM on Linux…”

Depends what he wants to run. I have not yet found a transparent way of running anything that requires DirectX12. That rules out many modern games and some CAD/3D graphics stuff. DirectX 10 is all that is supported.

As a result I do it the Windows host with Linux VMs route, and feel let down by VMWare.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 886

Is Windows pro’s Hvper V any good ?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

According to this link HyperV’s Remote Fx is also a bit of a Curate’s Egg for GPU passthrough. (Not a true transparent  passthrough). For me it would offer no more than does VMWare, and possibly less.

This quote says it all:

I would not get excited that you can now start running a bunch of 3D games in Client Hyper-V. That’s not really what RemoteFX is for. A game might work, but it might not. More “run-of-the-mill” applications, like web browsers and operating system GUIs are incorporating 3D, and that’s where you’ll see the most differences with a RemoteFX adapter. As you can see in Device Manager, you’re not getting a direct projection of your video adapter, which means that you’re not going to be able to load the manufacturer’s specific hardware driver, which means that you cannot expose its full capabilities to the guest.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 886

Interesting link Ed. I didnt know you could get even THAT level of GPU support on a VM.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,565

I had a look at the list of ideas contained in the spring update and nothing caught my eye. Have I missed something really good, or was it a whole collection of items that did not amount to much ?

I am not knocking those who feel there are some must haves in the list, I just did not see any such items.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I have just had another update of Windows 10 1709 and this time it has really improved the screen readability, not sure what else has changed but the clarity is hugely better. I might even be able to read what I write and perhaps even what other have written. It has just run through the update in the last 30 minutes.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 577

Well, it now looks like it is to be called the Windows 10 April Update ?

…………….. and rather than the 82 minutes for the Creators release, or the 51 minutesfor the Fall Creators update, this April update should take just 30 minutes ?

Details here ?

and Here

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 259

I think its monday now it comes out 30,04,18

Fink its gonna have some kinda mega max power setting.

To stop all latency’s for max hardware kit like mine. 😇

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Update 1803 (which I think is the ‘April’ release) failed for me with some crud about not being able to find the SENS server, but just got into a restart loop and would not allow me to correct this error with “netsh winsock reset”. It eventually gave up rebooted and removed the update.

Total failure but no BSOD!

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 412

The update downloaded last night on my main machine and took about 45 minutes to install perfectly.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I cannot be certain when it started to install but the install has been running for a while though it is totally seamless so far and the machine has continued to work without apparent issue. It is now at 69% install though the numbers are now tumbling through quite fast, will it succeed and stick? That is the big question.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

What I saw was the background download and configuration, the actual install part took way less time than I expected, possibly as little as 20 minutes. My oldest machine a 2008 portable is not going through the throws of downloading so I shall await developments with interest.

The internet was a bit ‘odd’ for the first few minutes with lots of slow loading on some sites, but that could be either the PC or the internet.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

My old portable did the job in about 28 minutes and that is on a ten year old machine.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Richard.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

My box is a AMD Ryzen which may be the problem, but sens is more a LAN card or vmware issue,

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Three of our machines have now run through and all appears to be well. I will do the remaining portable tomorrow and then there is my daughter’s machine… However, first it is off to the oncologist in the morning, – this evening is not an easy time.

One suggestion, when a PC does its final restart and you can log in, do so and leave it for ten or twenty minutes to work out what it is doing. it will then run much better.

Ed, there were problems with some AMD devices in the past; check out the web for links to your problems.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 577

Done 2 so far – no problems.

Both fairly old spec

– LGA 1150 G3250, 4GB

– LGA 1155 G2020, 8GB

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 794

Gone OK – got an old Windows tablet (one of the cheapies with 32GB storage) that I don’t use but tried the update, had to connect a USB flash drive via OTG as there wasn’t enough free space – but all went through OK. Not found anything useful (to me) in the new build.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 412

Done 4 now without any real problem although one oldish laptop took about 3 hours.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love