Forumite

Mint 19 and Timeshift

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Mint 19 and Timeshift

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Les. 12 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

As noted elsewhere, my 3 week old 240GB Kingston SSD caused a few crashes, eventually “disappearing” from SETUP. My backup procedures have been very sketchy for a long time, and when I found that TIMESHIFT was an excellent backup tool, I set it to do a backup only last Monday. Oh good, I won’t lose anything, I thought. A 500 GB spinner was fitted, and after careful thought I would do a clean install, all updates, then apply my Timeshift backup. It appears to update a few thousand files, but after it was all finished, I looked in my Documents, but it was empty.

Was I just stupid thinking it backed up everything, or have I done something wrong. I did try Timeshift two weeks ago, but later realised I had only backed up the “booting stuff” (I think). I thought last Monday’s  Timeshift was an “everything” backup.

I moved over to my last full backup (Nov 3rd) and copied everything from there (docs, pics etc), and I still had the 60GB SSD with the HOME folder, so got more stuff from there.

After removing the 60GB SSD, I decided to try the 240GB Kingston once more, and even risked a “tap on the bench” just in case a loose connection of some sort. To my surprise, it was picked up, so another long session finally got the spinner set exactly as the SSD was this morning, so nothing was lost.

In the morning, I will do two full backups to separate spinners.

But back to the question. SHOULD Timeshift do a full backup, and if so, what am I doing wrong?

Les.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,136

D-Dan is probably more abreast of current Linux options than me. My only exposure to Linux these days is Ubuntu server in the cloud where I can rely on the providers / app OEM backup solutions if I need them.

However AFAIK Timeshift is very much like a restore point in Windows. If it works it sounds great, but it seems it may not.

I still prefer “old school” backups like Deja Dup and “Back In Time” which I think may still be available https://github.com/bit-team/backintime 

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,639

Lots of on-line help – just search on using Timeshift. Scanning through the somewhat opaque how-to’s (some talk about backing up to memory!), this one looked the most practical. My guess would be you did not use the ‘filters’ step — typical FOSS to use a stupid term!

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,087

Ed, I had seen that, and thought I had done it correctly. To recap, 2 weeks ago I bought a suitable enclosure and stuck a 500GB spinner inside. Using “Discs”, I formatted it ext4. I set up “Timeshift”, but did not apply any filters. I was a bit suspicious as the initial “save rime” was surprisingly short. A few days later I did a bit more research, and found the article to which you linked. So, last Monday, I used “Discs”  to reformat my external drive, to prevent any risk of “contamination”.

Once more I set up Timeshift, but did apply filters. This obviously failed me yesterday. The only thing I can think of right now is maybe my PC still “Knew” only of the first non-filter attempt, in which case this fresh install with a once more fresh, empty extrnal drive would be OK. But I need to be certain.

Les.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Well I see Dan has been and gone again, I was hoping for some input here. I still can’t decide if Timeshift does what I want, in spite of reading various online items.

Les.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Having had a look at Timeshift it’s not really a backup system, it’s a system snapshot. All or nothing, there seems to be no way to restore just one file.

That has it’s place, I do something similar with my Windows machines monthly (but even then I can extract just the files I want) but I do a traditional incremental file backup daily.

If I was still using a Linux desktop I think I’d still be using Back In Time.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Les I’m pretty sure you are getting no help as no-one here uses Timeshift. Rsync plus a chron job is the way most Linux people would go. There is a list of acceptable backup programs here.

As pointed out by Dave Timeshift  only backs-up system files. Very useful to do before a major upgrade or if you have a Trojan and otherwise not much use. Very similar to a Windows System Restore though that is a little more powerful.

Rsync+chron or Fwbackups is the way to go.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

I really could not work it out. It allows various folders to be “not excluded” leading me to think it would be OK, but then deeper reading of the previous link left me uncertain.

I will search for a Plan B. I will look at our link next. Have looked at a few but then got involved with Timeshift.

Thanks.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Les, I do not know if you sorted this out, but I have recently updated the way I backup my system to minimise I/O thrashing. (VMs and Shadow copies do not play nicely together). As a result I was looking for some idiot simple software to do incremental backups on my Ubuntu/Mint home folders.

I tried ‘Back in Time‘ and it looks ideal in that it only does a back-up what you select – in my case /home/ed. It also allows remote locations or external drives to be used for the backup (vital to allow vms backups to go to a shared folder)0

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 1,666

Interesting to note that I was about to give the Cloudberry backup a trial to backup to the cloud, as was looking at the Backblaze B2 storage for offsite backups, but debating if that’ll be overkill (considering I have my Synology backup to the Synology C2 cloud and backup to a 4TB drive at work daily) as at this point, I actually have some photos that I’ll need saving (wedding photos!) and I’m wondering if all my eggs in one basket is a bit much (using the Synology)

I’ve used FreeFileSync in the past to backup my Home folder – whilst it does sync (and I use this to download the backups from my NAS at work), it can also do one way sync, including over SFTP, though on Linux this needs to be mounted, rather than using the inbuilt SFTP client. Again it’s perhaps a bit more hands on than the others to get setup, but once it’s setup its really handy. Can get it updating via Cron as well.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s not eggs in one basket if the files are backed up properly. 1 locally and 1 remote.

My customers backup to a local USB HDD weekly and to my Synology daily. My Synology backs up to another local one daily and also to C2 weekly. I also have it backing up to a Digital Ocean C2 Spaces which is much faster than the Synology C2 but $5 for 250GB a month.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 1,666

It’s not eggs in one basket if the files are backed up properly. 1 locally and 1 remote. My customers backup to a local USB HDD weekly and to my Synology daily. My Synology backs up to another local one daily and also to C2 weekly. I also have it backing up to a Digital Ocean C2 Spaces which is much faster than the Synology C2 but $5 for 250GB a month.

Yeah, I currently backup locally to a external, work and Synology, so I guess I’ve got my 3-2-1 covered really. It’s a shame that the Backblaze B2 isn’t a Hyper Backup destination, but thinking about it, I might be able to use the S3 compatible. I’ll have a play anyhow.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Ed, I have looked at backintime, and it looked very suitable. I will be trying it, but I am waiting for the Mint19.1 full release (The Beta is out now, my pal installed it last night).

I now have the replacement 240GB SSD, but decided to wait the likely short period, then go straight to that with the 19.1, rather than going through the process twice. I may try the backup before then, if Xmas permits. All yesterday fighting with cards, and only half done. That is just the most urgent of dozens of jobs staring at me. Busy with a planning application, done most of drawings, using a convenient scale of 1:40 in Libre office Draw, only to find they insist on 1:50 or 1:100. More time wasted. Since my last application for a porch, it seems as if they want twice as much stuff. I think the motive is to convince people they need to employ a surveyor, so there are plenty of extra retirement opportunities when they take their early retirements with big pensions and new easy employment. Cynical? Moi? Non!

Les.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I guess IoM regs may be different from those of the mainland, here it is now more or less an automatic approval for most small additions assuming you can say ‘in accordance with *Building Regs’. However if it is visible from the road they need drawings to show the appearance to keep the Council Planners happy.

*Really a waste of paper as our District Council has only one over-worked surveyor to cover many thousands of projects – yet another example of the Conservative Government squeeze on essential services!

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

I have just been looking again at Backintime, here

https://www.howtogeek.com/110138/how-to-back-up-your-linux-system-with-back-in-time/

He seems to give clear instructions, but can you clarify? Scrolling down to almost the bottom, he mentions the snapshots (Graphical) then shows his snapshots, their desktop location, and the individual files (screenshots not snapshots???) with the bottom one being his latest.

Assuming a crash and data loss, I suppose you click on the final one and instruct it to restore, but does it then put ALL the snapshots together to rebuild the whole shebang?

I want to be 100% clear before the need arises.

I have already thought how it could help me with a long standing “lost emails” problem.

Les.

Ed, on the planning thing, I have to apply for ANYTHING, being in a conservation zone. The same thing happened to me 30 years ago in Staffs, but when I applied for outbuildings, they made an objection to my brick choice. I argued strongly, pointing out that their suggestion was to use bricks that were soft enough to eat for breakfast. I had my way and used decent Staffs bricks (I know my bricks!), however, they made some suggestions that actually saved me time and money and gave a better result. I had not applied that way as I thought they would say no due to proximity of the mill stream.

Les.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!