Forumite

Moonshine

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Moonshine 2RSB
    @bdthree

I was under impression these were illiegal in the UK. I am verry verry intrested :)

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Moonshine 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,667

No idea about the legality but they can go bang quite easily if not used properly.

Since the minimum unit price came in for Wales I’ve heard of a few stills going up.

Participant
    Moonshine 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

Buying it is not illegal, however this is the advice I picked up:

In the UK it is not legal to distil alcohol without a licence from Revenue and Customs and this includes alcohol for your own consumption. … There are also some who make use of equipment intended for the purification of water or essential oils, but it must be stressed that this is illegal in the UK.

How and why are Amazon selling this?

My advice Lee, is if you buy one, keep it quiet if you make your own hooch. I remember my much-missed FIL making his own wine. I asked if it was legal to brew your own alcoholic drink. “It’s legal as long as we don’t drink it!” He made the greatest elderberry and blackcurrant wine, let it stand for months. Blew you away, it was more like a Liqueur.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Moonshine 5Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

In the Middle East moonshine stills could result in quite dire penalties, and were easily recognised by the religious police. The most desperate alcoholics used something else which was both harder to detect and potentially near lethal. They first made raisin wine, then froze it in trays in their freezer. Once frozen they carefully took off the layer of ice from the top, leaving the liquid alcohol and all the head-banging materials concentrated below. Rinse and repeat

As this process concentrates up the poisonous methanol and fusel oils the cognoscenti used to heat the raisin wine up to about 30-40c in a saucepan (i.e. leave in the sun!) and allow about a quarter of it to evaporate off. They would then freeze-distil the remainder.

I’m not sure if the Youtube was put together by a Middle East oilman but it would not surprise me if it were true.

Participant
    Moonshine 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

That’s “Raisin Jack” in US jails, Ed. Got that from an American serviceman back in HMF days on exercise with them. Apparently they brewed it in (hopefully) sealed plastic bags, inside the toilet bowl. Bet that is still happening now.

Incredible what some will do to get their alcohol fix.

I'm out.

Keymaster
    Moonshine 2RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,339

I have been looking at something like this

I’m all spent up now so it will have to wait. I would probably get 2 or 3 of them and do them at diffrent times.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Participant
    Moonshine 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Fairly certain that’s what my late FIL used. It was quite good iirc, tasted “Hoppy” and certainly hit the spot.

Lee, yesterday I spotted a narrowboat on FB Marketplace, at Bingley. £19K I think.Moonshine 9

Lots on FB Marketplace.

I'm out.

Participant
    Moonshine 5Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

My wife used to be the master brewer, but my recollection was that the secret was in good hops and a good yeast plus scrupulous hygiene in barrel and bottle washing. she used to use Milton as a sterilizer. Not sure now about the yeast source, but I do remember once we somehow obtained a bag of hops from the Guinness side of the Charringtons brewery in London and that made a really memorable brew.

Participant
    Moonshine 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,667

Some 27 odd years ago I was at my university student mates house playing Doom on the PC he managed to con his parents into getting him for his studies. Doom wasn’t on any curriculum back then as far as I know.

We’d been to the students union and were well away. All his other housemates were back home for a bank holiday weekend. Cue one massive bang. We thought someone had hit one of the cars outside his house and legged it. No damage to any cars. I wobbled the 1/2 mile or so back to my place.

About 9 am the next day I get a very hung over mate on the phone begging me to come and help him. His home brew had exploded in the kitchen and totally coated the kitchen in beer. Every single nook, crannie and in between had beer in it. Roof, floor, doors, everything was sticky and gross.

18 hours later the kitchen was clean.

If you make home brew keep a close eye on it!!!!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.