Forumite

More Network PITA

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    More Network PITA 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Earlier today I suffered a complete loss of internet and a network blowout, using the desktop. Tried everything including network reset, nothing worked. Then I checked every device: SWMBO’s laptop, both Sony phones, both tablets. Nothing could connect to the router. Reset router twice, no change. Then I realised that I had not changed the network name and details since removing the Plusnet router and installing the TP-Link AV 400, which means the SSID should have been changed. DOH!

As the wife’s lappy is closer to the router and we have great speeds, I used that to access the router webpage and change everything. It all works now and the network is back up, although I will change the passwords again soon. I have no idea how the network kept going for the last few days, with the wrong SSID for the new router.

Another frustrating lesson learned.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    More Network PITA 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,460

Having issues at home arm.

But to rub it in I’m I’m Paris arm and my 5g  connection is below. First time I’ve sampled it, and I like it.

More Network PITA 4

Participant
    More Network PITA 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,736

Yes I had 4G connections over 100mbps in Amsterdam, about 3km out from Centraal Station. Makes you realise we are behind over here.

Bob, again you defy the laws of networking 😀

Participant
    More Network PITA 6PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,970

Makes you realise we are behind over here.

My latest speed test was done Monday.  Don’t forget that according to Vodafone I’m right on the edge of 5G coverage.  I’m happy with it. B-)

More Network PITA 7

Participant
    More Network PITA 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,443

Yes Dave I struggle to understand some of the results of my networking actions myself! :scratch: :unsure:

Steve, those speeds are to dream about. Thought I was doing well; 73 Down, 18 up. For some reason Firefox has taken over my Speedtest pics, have to address that. Adobe Reader will not open them.

Nolan, I would be happy with that too!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    More Network PITA 9Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,962

Steve, Nolan, in the nicest way possible, I hate you right now! :cry:

I’ve just managed to get up from 8Mbps to 13Mbps :unsure:

Participant
    More Network PITA 10Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,896

You need a B4RN !

Participant
    More Network PITA 6PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,970

Steve, Nolan, in the nicest way possible, I hate you right now! :cry: I’ve just managed to get up from 8Mbps to 13Mbps :unsure:

Sorry Ryan.

More Network PITA 12

That was yesterday. Never seen it that fast before. :yahoo:

Participant
    More Network PITA 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,460

@tippon

You can stop hating me now. I’m out of Paris, and in a very rural place in the Loire region, and back on 4g.

However given there is about 6 houses in a ten min drive radius, still getting over 20/8meg on 4g.

Near 49490 Dénezé-sous-le-Lude, France
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/zDF71D2rC7FheDhE6

More Network PITA 14

Participant
    More Network PITA 15Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,700

Feel like I’m missing out. My last 24 hours of web have been pretty poor (measured using speedtest-cli and plotted with gnuplot). Avg down – 22.12Mbps and 6.92Mbps up.

More Network PITA 16

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by More Network PITA 17Drezha.
    Participant
    More Network PITA 18JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,188

Is that your landline ( Origin ) connection?? If so that pattern is typical of a bad joint/poor connection/random water ingress type fault. ( It also fits the pattern of dropping at periods of high usage by others { outside your household }  – 2pm to 8pm!!)

Have you taken the face-plate off your Master Socket and connected to the internal test socket using a filter?? That would eliminate any internal wiring problems if the same pattern emerged.

Participant
    @drezha

It is my landline connection with Origin. I haven’t tried to investigate, as it’s only reasonably recently that it’s got poor. I only set the monitoring up yesterday on the Pi, so I’m keeping an eye on it. I am connected to the Master socket, as router is out in the front hallway, however, I haven’t tried the test socket but following the instructions here, I may give it a go later when the speed starts dropping again.

I would like to move the router if I can as it’s a bit of an eye sore just inside the front door!

More Network PITA 20

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by More Network PITA 17Drezha.
    Participant
    More Network PITA 18JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,188

@drezha Yes, that’s the one. :good:

I see the socket still has the original face-plate – one of THESE will both tidy the appearance up ( losing the plug in filter ) and should also stabilise/improve speeds ( not hugely, but every little can help ). I found those old filters to be a real fault liability and a real PITA.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by More Network PITA 23JayCeeDee.
    Participant
    @tippon

Mine’s getting worse. Talktalk offered me a 3 month credit and new equipment if I stayed on with them, along with the promise to fix the line. I agreed with the condition of a 21 day cooling off period, so they sent the kit – the same router and a D-Link wifi homeplug kit.

The speed has gone back to about 11Mbps, but I can barely connect from downstairs (my master socket is upstairs), and the D-Link kit is discontinued, and the homeplug side of it barely works. I’m getting disconnected from the router fairly regularly now.

To make it worse, the TP-Link kit I ordered hasn’t turned up, and the seller isn’t responding to messages on Amazon. :negative:

Participant
    @drezha

@drezha Yes, that’s the one. :good: I see the socket still has the original face-plate – one of THESE will both tidy the appearance up ( losing the plug in filter ) and should also stabilise/improve speeds ( not hugely, but every little can help ). I found those old filters to be a real fault liability and a real PITA.

I haven’t done it yet, as the speed improved.

More Network PITA 26

It tests every 30 minutes, so some variance might be possible during that time frame – you can see some pretty big drops, but it hasn’t really been noticeable (i.e. I’ve still been able to play online, whilst the wife has been able to stream).

Participant
    More Network PITA 27Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,790

The 4G+ symbol has just started showing up on my phone at my mum’s house which is supposed to mean I can expect faster speeds but testing shows I am limited to 17Mbs down and 6Mbs up.

On the plus side she is now getting the Faster FTTC speeds she is paying for, 76Mbs down and 18Mbs up.

Participant
    @tippon

The 4G+ symbol has just started showing up on my phone at my mum’s house which is supposed to mean I can expect faster speeds but testing shows I am limited to 17Mbs down and 6Mbs up.

Turn off the wifi on your phone, give it a minute for the 4G to connect, then restart the phone. Every now and then my phone ‘sticks’ on a lower speed. Restarting the phone this way seems to force it to reconnect properly, and my speeds go up to what they should be.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.