Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Windows Talk Moving to W10 at last..

• Creator
    Topic
    André
    Participant

First of all I’ll say a big hello to all the old Micro Mart users! Although I was hardly on there for the last few years or so I had actually used it since 2000 and I recognise some names and avatars. Can’t remember my name of course…

Anyway it has come time to finally move from W7 to 10. In the older days I’d have no problem doing a format and fresh install but I’m a lot older and lazier these days. I’ve had the current hardware and W7 install for some 3 years which is a minor miracle for me as I used to change things quite regularly and do a fresh. But I’ve just too much to be bothered with atm.

Problem is the machine is definitely a lot slower than it used to be. Apart from the massive performance drop after the updates necessitated by Spectre et al (InSpectre reported to me that the performance hit could be fixed by an appropriate windows update but obvs that didn’t happen) things are noticeably slower compared to a year ago.

So years ago I seem to remember that ‘upgrading’ from Wx to Wy without a fresh install would not fix any problems. I never did that, always fresh. I’m assuming I will still have a slow unit if I go down this route? And if I do decided to fresh it then where is the best place to buy it these days? Last time I bought an OS you bought the disc. I’ve seen this https://tinyurl.com/y5oaa9lq and I assume I can easily find a legit DL to create a USB drive to install it. What do you think?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Ed P
      Participant

W10 has some speed killing apps that hurt fresh installs. The major one is their nasty Windows Search which will trawl slowly through your hard disk(s) itemising everything (including inside files depending on settings). Windows Pictures then preforms a similar irritating ‘trick’. If you are not careful in your settings it will then go on to slowly doing the same for any network attached drives.

I’m not including the incessant updates when you first install it as there is no way of avoiding some of that.

Wrt other speed slow downs carefully examine your privacy settings and turn off all the things that phone home (such as the one that looks at everything you type).

Maybe others know an app that will do all this and pare down the carp in Universal Applications, unfortunately I have not come across one.

JayCeeDee
        Participant

If you haven’t got one already, it may be time to introduce an SSD into the mix. My system is about the same age as yours and when I loaded the OS onto an SSD and used my old disc as just a data drive I saw a big speed difference and it just felt quicker and slicker.

Ignore me if you’ve already done that!!??

André
          Participant

Hey, thanks for the tip but as you guessed I might… Yeah I’ve had SSD’s for a little while longer than my current mobo! Actually I was still using an ancient mobo that couldn’t really use SSD’s particularly well when I first got one. An old P5N-E SLI with some CPU that when I got the mobo had been some £300-400 unit. Of course the one I had was bought 2nd hand for £50 IIRC! I eked many years out of that mobo by sticking in extra RAM, better graphics and CPU’s (all 2nd hand) and finally a new SSD. But eventually it had to go.

Even now my Asrock Z170A-X1/3.1 has just about the cheapest CPU available at the time in it, G3900 2.8Ghz. I looked at upgrading it about 14-18 months ago I guess and the prices were too high for me to bother.

Anyway, do you all think I should bite the bullet on the fresh install then? I don’t want to have to install everything all over but I don’t want to have a slow rig after the move to W10. And what about that license for £8? It looks genuine?

Wheels-Of-Fire
            Participant

You know you are talking yourself into it Andre. Go ahead and do a fresh install if you still have access to all your app disks and downloads ?

Before you do though it may be worth trying an upgrade with the latest image from Microsoft. You may decide its good enough and there is still a slight chance it will activate your machine without a key. The cheap keys purchaced online are usually fine though.

André
              Participant

Yeah I know your right. Main reason I don’t want to do it is I’ve a load of older games that I love that I’ve modded extensively. I guess I could probably just copy the installed folders before the format. Then after the windows install install the games and just copy the old folders back to the C drive. I know that works with Baldur’s Gate Trilogy. Still, just installing that is 11 CD’s worth before the BGT mod and it bloody well insists on a full screen install so your just sitting waiting for the drive to stop spinning something like 13-15 times as you have to put disc 1 back in after the last disc of each game. Actually I could probably sell the original discs I’ve got for more than a new DL from Steam or wherever would cost….. That’s a thought! I certainly don’t have an emotional attachment to CD’s.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                Participant

Oh and it’s the Machine that gets activated these days rather than the copy of Windows. Once Microsoft has your machines details on its database you can reinstall windows as much as you like.

André
                  Participant

Sorry it has been a while since I was here.

So whats the score with changing hardware then? I’ve found W7 (at least the disc I bought) to be fine with me upgrading hardware and when time came for a new mobo (and new everything else) it was fine as well. And that despite it being and OEM copy.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                    Participant
                      Bob Williams
                      Participant

Thanks Graham, I’ll use that link too, when the time comes.

Cheers, Bob.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                        I'm out.

André
                        Participant

Sorry it’s taken me a while to get back.

A clean install using the code from my W7 Home Prem worked fine, no charge from Microsoft. Install was well smooth as well. A lot quicker than my last fresh W7 install IIRC. The updates seemed to take hardly any time at all compared to W7 SP1.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                        Forumite