Forumite

MPG

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 6 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

My Chevrolet Cruise Does 62 to the gallon. Yes, I have checked out side of what the car computer reports.

I must admit. I do not get stuck in traffic commuting.

Thats kind of green. With 400 parts per million of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as it currently stands its probabley fair to say that the earth has uncontravertabley entered into a tipping point. No wonder extinction rebellion are gaining momentum. To late. It was to late years ago. Game over. we are all gonna die 🙂

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,503

My very light Suzuki Swift Sport will do 60 MPG. All day.

But you don’t buy a car like it to sit at 55 MPH on the motor way.

I get real world figures of 42-45 MPG. That’s a lot of urban faffing about and blasting down national speed limit lanes.

My old 2017 Swift SZ-T got 45-48 MPG in the same kind of driving. Not much difference and when legal I get places a hell of alot faster and with a bigger smile on my face. 😀

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 3,634

Mine gets 22mpg. Though my commute is all country lane, 10 miles each way of great windy roads. Drive like my hair is on fire. I’m sure this rock will be fine either way.

My old laguna would do 55 all day, and high 60s on the motorway, kat he’d with a 75l tank, it would get me to Paris and still have a 3rd left in the tank. My current car gets just over 300 per tank. 😭

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

My little Hyundai iX20 1.6 auto gets between 40 to 45 depending upon the journey. Considering how I drive around our country lanes here, that’s probably pretty good. Apparently my gdaughter’s mates who get lifts with me* call me “Racer Granddad”. There are very few cameras per 20 miles, even less police vehicles and I keep my eyes open.

*Even though gdtr has moved, first to Stamford and now with BF to new house near Spalding, her mates still ask for lifts. I am regarded as an honorary, unofficial granddad to about half a dozen young lasses. It is very pleasantly fragrant in my motor sometimes. But noisy!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,658

I’ve stopped keeping an eye on MPG its far, far too depressing in London.     20 miles to the gallon, 20 minutes to the mile is how it works around here.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I’ve stopped keeping an eye on MPG its far, far too depressing in London. 20 miles to the gallon, 20 minutes to the mile is how it works around here.

Don’t know why you don’t move out to somewhere where you can breathe air without lumps in it, find a cheaper home and more MPG!😝

Isn’t “VFM” meant to mean Value For Money?😉😊

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,658

We’d love to Bob but my other half is not up to a move and frankly I wouldn’t feel comfortable being more than the 7.5 miles we are from Harefield Hospital with the state of her ticker.    Crazy really I’m over a decade older than she is and we always thought she’d end up looking after me but it’s the other way round.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 565

My Rover 25 gets about 40+mpg in the summer, 32mpg in the winter & about 48mpg on a long run. No boy racer stuff & sticking to the speed limits …. well except for the odd mile or so at 80 to get past slow centre lane traffic. Think that’s ok for a 1398cc, 16 year old car.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

wasbit, the last of the Rovers were very good cars. They must have sold a lot of 75’s, 25’s and 45’s in Louth, as there are still a heck of a lot around the area. The Italian motoring press voted the 75 “The most beautiful car in the world” and the Italians are motoring aficionados. There is one 214si, and I remember maintaining one of those in my old job. On road test it went like the clappers and held the road well. Oh, what could have been…

VFM, I understand that and sympathise. Atm, my Gert and I are holding each other together, both have problems but as long as we’re together we are OK.

--- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

I had a 1997 Rover 420sli, the thing was ‘chipped’ to over 180bhp by a previous owner. The thing had a bad drinking problem. It was a great car though. Shocked alot of 3 series BMW drivers on the motorway. Quick for the day.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Apart from dumb, incompetent management and union stupidity, one of the things that killed Rover was the growing success of the 75 and other models. The 75 gearbox was sourced from Germany and I heard on good authority from a Trade source at the time, that BMW were upset about the 75 outselling Beemers in certain markets, so had the gearbox supply choked off. Rover did not have the finance for R&D of a new box, so that killed what could have been a great success for Rover. There is no doubt that Rover was making the right cars at last and the future looked good until the combination I gave above affected the industry. Now thanks to Brexit, it looks bleak again.

That is not meant to start an anti-Brexit debate. It’s the simple truth: our car industry now is owned by foreign companies. If they cannot get the right price for what is produced, thanks to increased tariffs, they will move production. Which is either happening, or being contemplated, as I write this. Vehicle exports represent a massive proportion of UK exports: if we lose them we lose so much more in the way of support industries. These are facts that cannot be wished or argued away.

If there is native UK investment in the R&D of electric vehicle manufacture, I don’t see it happening for quite some time. Although there are several companies including BP, that have plans to build a nationwide infrastructure of stations, that will take time. And where is the power going to come from?

--- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,503

Bob, my mother’s partner had a 75, either top spec or very nearly, almost certain it was a V6 but wouldn’t put money on it.

The thing is it had a BMW engine. Literally. Underneath the plastic shroud on top of the engine was a BMW logo but I can’t find any info on a petrol 75 with a BMW engine. 😕

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 485

PlaneMan the v6 was Rovers own lump a k series v6 as were the other petrol variants. The diesels are of BMW origin.

Edit. They fitted a ford v8 to a few

Cheers Mark

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Mark Turner.

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 485

Today whilst upgrading my brothers laptop I fitted a one of these to his Hyundai I30 blue something or other I wasn’t expecting anything much to be fair “you hear about these miracle things for your car” but bloody hell both of us were impressed. Don’t know if it will improve fuel consumption like the claims but from 1700ish rpm its like a different car

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

It was not just industrial relations that killed Rover, but also poor management and a complete lack of quality control.

I bought a brand new ‘Friday’ Rover in the mid 70s, and within 50miles of taking delivery the back axle seized up solid as ALL the lubrication was missing — everything including the grease in the wheel bearings! As we were in the boondocks I had to drive the car with a red-hot back end until it completely seized. (no mobiles in those days)

I told everyone I knew about my experience and vowed that dog of a car would be my first and last Rover, and it was.  As a result they lost not only my own future purchases but also everyone I managed to influence. I suspect that Rover lost even more sales in similar circumstances.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

They still have not learned in the UK car industry. I took my high end Vauxhall vectra for its first service  at a main dealer. They drained the oil and replaced the filter but did not put any new oil in it !

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

They still have not learned in the UK car industry. I took my high end Vauxhall Vectra for its first service at a main dealer. They drained the oil and replaced the filter but did not put any new oil in it !

So what was the result Graham? Did they drive it and seize it, or did you? Even if the engine ran for only a very short time, there would have been wear, and the removal of the “varnish” that oil leaves on bearing surfaces on its path around the engine. Thus creating metal-to-metal contact, with no lubricant between bearing surfaces. That was a very basic, mindless error. I always taught every apprentice I had, to check engine oil level after everything else, before taking the car out of the workshop. “Never close the bonnet before a visual check and dip the oil last!” (I can still hear “Yeah Yeah, I know!”)

If the engine ran at all with no oil, you need to keep an eye on it.

--- Robin Williams

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Today whilst upgrading my brothers laptop I fitted a one of these to his Hyundai I30 blue something or other I wasn’t expecting anything much to be fair “you hear about these miracle things for your car” but bloody hell both of us were impressed. Don’t know if it will improve fuel consumption like the claims but from 1700ish rpm its like a different car

All Hyundais have sensor & chip options built in, petrol and diesel, that recognise fuel with a higher rating. When I had the Tucson Diesel, I got slightly lower MPG, but smoother running and much improved acceleration, using Shell V-Power fuel. Now I have a petrol iX20, I was amazed by the difference, using V-Power petrol fuel. The car has 125 BHP, 16 valves and twin cams, but a 6 speed auto gearbox. Apparently the higher octane fuel is picked up by the sensor and boots the chip, taking full advantage of that power. All I know is that my little Korean motor goes like the clappers when I boot it, but has a severe drink problem if I maintain constant speeds over 80. So I drive sedately until I need to accelerate, then watch the dropped jaws in my mirror. First time I did that, I was gobsmacked. I have driven many much faster motors, but I expected that with cars like the Capri RS 3.1 I once had. The iX20 was totally unexpected. I love it. I have to stop myself frightening my SWMBO sometimes.😊

--- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

I must admit my Leon acts alot snappier with 99 grade fuel in over the normal 95.

Thoes clip on chips for Deisel are great for almost any deisel car. They release alot of extra torque, so if you drive normal and don’t thrash tat extra power you should get a far better effiancy

Given min is a petrol, there is no clip on options, a flash is needed. Add to that mine is an double cluctch auto that to needs to be flashed to match any new power The engine produces. So an expensive mod. Also it. Voids any warrantys. The clip on one’s can be revered in minutes if needed. Not an expensive flash.

I do still consider it every few months.

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 565

Today whilst upgrading my brothers laptop I fitted a one of these to his Hyundai I30 blue something or other I wasn’t expecting anything much to be fair “you hear about these miracle things for your car” but bloody hell both of us were impressed. Don’t know if it will improve fuel consumption like the claims but from 1700ish rpm its like a different car

Presume this is a notifiable upgrade for your insurance.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

The Duke
    @sgb101

Being a clip on/off solution they are designed to work around notification to insurance, and to not void oem warranties.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image