Forumite

Multiple network gateways?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Multiple network gateways? 2Drezha
    @drezha

After yesterday’s internet outage, I dug out the Three box and then spent the day looking at load balancing routers before deciding that spending £260 on a Draytek and then £40 on a USB dongle probably wasn’t worth it.

However, on a more simple note, would I be able to put the 4G router on to the network and set up the devices I want to use it as the default gateway?

i.e. Main router is 192.168.0.1. If I added the 4G as a static IP at 192.168.0.100 and then directed traffic to it as the gateway, would it use the 4G connection?

Main sticking point is that Origin charge to have port forwarding, which means getting access to my Synology requires I pay them for a static IP address. However, it works fine on the 4G connection.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Multiple network gateways? 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

Several questions here. Firstly multiple gateways are fine, as you say it’s the default gateway address that determines what goes where. Businesses often do this to separate say VOIP and data.

External access via 4G is a movable feast but you don’t need to spend £260 on a Draytek that will do 4G load balancing / failover. Here’s a screenshot from my basic 2760.

Multiple network gateways? 4

4G through a USB dongle will stymie DDNS as they basically act as routers. They present their own private IP to the router and do not pass through the ISP allocated IP address. It’s how their protocol works and no way around it.

Therefore the router needs a SIM card slot and yes a Draytek with one does cost a lot more. But as far as IP addresses are concerned, most carriers will give you one of their internal IP addresses so DDNS is again stymied. I am with Three and the default APN of three.co.uk does this, however if I change the APN to 3Internet I get a public IP and DDNS is back on. So even with your router sorted out you are in the hands of the 4G carrier.

The question you need to ask is do you really need to remotely administer your router via 4G? This is what is causing you all the grief.

What I do at some customers sites is install a Pi and let VNC deal with the negotiation through whatever network between me and it. I can then run tools or a browser on the Pi.

Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,545

I’m not trying to remotely access the router, but to remotely access my NAS. Origin block port forwarding unless you pay for a static IP address. When I was using the 4G router (the Huawei one that Three sent me), I was able to access my Synology by port forwarding on the Huawei router and DDNS was sorted by the Synology.

I can’t use VNC to access – at least, not when I’m at work, as Eduroam blocks VNC connections I believe (certainly, it wont connect whilst on the University wifi).

The main use case is to access my NAS whilst at work via SFTP and create an offsite backup at work. At the minute, it’s not an issue as we’re at home but since swapping to the Origin service, I’ve just been sneakernetting my files to keep a copy at work.

I just thought if I could have them both on the network at home, that would solve an issue.

When I checked the 2762 demo, I didn’t see load balacing yesterday, but I’ve now seen that’s a possibility.

Participant
    @ricedg

Quick Connect doesn’t need any port forwarding but of course SFTP does. Not that elegant but drag (from File Explorer) and drop onto a web page does work quite well. The Create File Request shared link method also uses quick connect.

The 27xx series had a lot of features added in firmware upgrades last year, so you may have come across an older article, even Draytek’s website can be out of date. You now have a dial in SSL VPN server and (non tagged) VLANs with 2 subnets too.

Participant
    @ricedg

I’ve been thinking about this: “Origin block port forwarding unless you pay for a static IP address”

Can I assume this to mean your external IP address is in one of the private ranges of 10.0.0.0/8 or 192.168.0.0/16 or 172.16..0./12? If so you’re screwed and always will be if even you paid for a fixed IP and used a USB dongle.

As you know I use Draytek a lot and for anything but 4G they are a go to for being able to do anything, but the sim slot versions are just too much £££. I now have a TP-Link MR200 and whilst it’s miles better than the Huawei it’s no Draytek.

What I’ve been searching for is head unit that’s really good at being a 4G modem and just passing the connection through to my Draytek. I believe I may have found the answer in the Teltonika range, but if you’re starting from scratch the cost means you might as well got for the sim slot DrayTek Vigor in the first place.

I’m starting to think that my first thoughts are correct, it’s going to take 5G to do this “all wireless” thing properly. The 802.11 protocols are pretty much there for local distribution and mesh is coming along nicely, it’s the internet end that needs sorting and IPv6 to take a lot of the routing pain away. I fear for people like us that it will be “this is what you get” at the consumer end and “this will cost you a lot” at the “I want some control” end.

Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,545

I’ve been thinking about this: “Origin block port forwarding unless you pay for a static IP address” Can I assume this to mean your external IP address is in one of the private ranges of 10.0.0.0/8 or 192.168.0.0/16 or 172.16..0./12? If so you’re screwed and always will be if even you paid for a fixed IP and used a USB dongle. As you know I use Draytek a lot and for anything but 4G they are a go to for being able to do anything, but the sim slot versions are just too much £££. I now have a TP-Link MR200 and whilst it’s miles better than the Huawei it’s no Draytek. What I’ve been searching for is head unit that’s really good at being a 4G modem and just passing the connection through to my Draytek. I believe I may have found the answer in the Teltonika range, but if you’re starting from scratch the cost means you might as well got for the sim slot DrayTek Vigor in the first place. I’m starting to think that my first thoughts are correct, it’s going to take 5G to do this “all wireless” thing properly. The 802.11 protocols are pretty much there for local distribution and mesh is coming along nicely, it’s the internet end that needs sorting and IPv6 to take a lot of the routing pain away. I fear for people like us that it will be “this is what you get” at the consumer end and “this will cost you a lot” at the “I want some control” end.

If I paid for the fixed IP address, I’d have no need for a dongle, as then Origin would allow me to SFTP in to my NAS without issue, which is all this comes down to really.

Which, from looking around, will be the cheapest possible option in the end! (£1.50 extra to get the static IP x 18 months = £27 for the contract)

I was just wondering if I could harness both, as I’m already paying for the Three connection, as well as the Origin connection, and I had no issues with the Three.

Participant
    @ricedg

With the APN set to 3Internet I get a public external IP address so DDNS works.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.