Forumite

My PC

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk My PC

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

My PC is:

HP Elite 8300 SFF i5 3.20GHz Quad Core 8GB DDR3 SDRam. Can I upgrade it (I like speed).

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

Only with an SSD, everything else is fast enough to be sat not doing much most of the time.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 3,447

+1 But if you must… 😁

Your Q77 Express MoBo can go as high as an i7 3770k but I can’t find any details about HP BIOS support. They are £290 new or about £170 on ebay.

If you are a gamer then a graphics card could work wonders but I wouldn’t go to mad with your 320W PSU. An NVIDIA 1060 GTX at about £230 should do the trick.

Buy them after you get an SSD and you really will be maxed out 😀

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 2,921

Thanks Dave It does have an SSD

Thanks Graham I will look into i7

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I am thinking (and pre searching) maybe to go with an i7 a new Motherboard LGA1155

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The problem you may have john is that, just like Dell, HP has a habit of fitting non standard components. Before thinking of a MoBo swap you should check that it is one of the standard sizes and then you should check that the power connector is wired in the standard way, if not you will also need a new PSU and you should check if that is of a size you can get.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Graham

If only tech was as good as my brain or my brain needs tech. It’s not a simple as I thought (also ££££) too much.

Maybe just stick to my thoughts for a few years and then the price is down. This is why I am way behind tech.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

https://www.palicomp.co.uk/custom-pcs

Check out the Palicomp system configurator above. You can pick the bits you would like in a new PC and leave out the bits you have, it will give you a price as you go along.

Go nuts if you like, you don’t have to order 😁

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Oh and you don’t have to create an account if you don’t wan’t, just chose Intel or AMD to start.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

Tbh John unless you want to be a willy-waver over your PC ‘s speed, most three year old PCs will run anything you throw at them. In today’s environment the GPU is still probably the most important thing to upgrade when you hit a limitation. You will rarely run into a CPU limit as even today many games only multithread the stuff the GPU handles. I/O is something else and an SSD is an essential.

However as said elsewhere steer clear of Dell and laptops if you want the flexibility of occasionally doing some willy waving.

On my three years old PC the only thing that makes me think about upgrades are i/o bus limitations hitting multi-vm performance, and I would guess that very few others hit that particular issue. (Main cause is a Windows 10 VM hogging the bus to talk to mother M$ and failing to recognise the presence of other vms equally wanting bandwidth)

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,561

John

I am a bit confused ?

If your current PC has an i5-3470 ? (see link below) then the i5-3470 means it has an LGA 1150 motherboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Compaq-3-20GHz-Windows-Professional/dp/B018UXECX4

If so, why are you looking at an older generation LGA1155 board to “upgrade” it ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The i5 3470 is an LGA 1155 Ivy bridge chip Borris. Not that that changes anything 😁

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

What sort of virtual machines are you running Ed ? My guess is that they are not Windows Hyper V. Or am I wrong 🤔

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,561

Quite right WOF 😃 what I actually meant was :-

If your current PC has an i5-3470 ? (see link below) then the i5-3470 means it has an LGA 1155 motherboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Compaq-3-20GHz-Windows-Professional/dp/B018UXECX4

If so, why are you looking at another older generation LGA1155 board to “upgrade” it ?

My mobile keyboard skills are not too good 😊

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Boris.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Boris Confusion, tell me about it. I asked if I could upgrade the mobo I have (not relly worth it) then I was looking at the above i7 then found it fitted an 1155 so I start thinking keep the one and get another (1155) to upgrade. Then I thought why not just get another HP Elite, then when CPU prices come down I can get an i7 x 2 .

I bet you’re more confused.

I start off thinking one thing, after reading advice I get diverted.

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

John, you won’t be able to tell the difference between an i5 and an i7 as you aren’t really pushing the i5. An i7 will just spend more time idling. As you have 8GB ram there’s no need to up that, the bottleneck in your system will be the disk drive. If you’ve replaced that with an SSD you’ve done all you practically can.

A new PC with an NVMe SSD (the ones that plug into the motherboard) make a PC seem even snappier but writing an email still takes just as long 😀

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 190

haven’t been around for a while but got 15 mins tonight to play and thought I would check in just to say how impressed I still am 6 months ( probably longer ) since build with  this NVMe .so plus one for Daves recommendation if you fancy a little splurge you will be well impressed with the start up speed  John. Me and you wont probably notice the difference between i5 an i7 blah blahs as Dave says but I promise if you are going to spend money go for the NVMe .

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Dave

I will leave it, as it is.

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I still have many PCs like that out there John, HDDs are replaced with SSD when they die out. I have no intentions of replacing them. Indeed for a new office PC I will go for a new CPU of about the same performance.

The “i5” has always been the workhorse, if you could afford it, which is increasingly the case as technology improves. The Ryzen 3 G series are now the go to.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Dave

Looking at The Ryzen it’s AMD I would need everything to go with it.  One of interest on Ebuyer it doesn’t have an Optical, not sure if it means no space for optical, it also says no O/S I have a spare optical, can u still get Windows 10 cheap off ebay trusted to work.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!