Forumite

New Build

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk New Build

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    New Build 2StevieP
    @steviep

I have decided to build a new box to start playing some games again. I should think that it will probably be one of the last that I do build myself. I have decided to build one that has future proofing in mind with a GPU upgrade in a couple of years or so. As such it is not going to be cheap. As I am back in hospital with the likelyhood of at least another 4 weeks I have researched most of the parts with the following in mind.

Future proofing, bang for buck, suited to present monitor, existing drives, case and PSU. recommendations on many and varied web sites.

MOBO             Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite AM$ DDR4

GPU                Gigabyte RX 590 Gaming

CPU                AMD Ryzen 3900X

RAM                Still undecided whether to go for 3200 with 14-15-15 latency or 3600 with latency of 18-18-18. The net has more opinions than you can shake a big stick as to which is better. It will be something like G.Skill Trident Z Neo as I’ve used G.Skill many times in the past and found it to be pretty good with models that always have pretty tight timings.

COOLER         Toss up between Be quiet Dark Rock 4 or 4 Pro. Depends on height of ram so that will have to wait.

SSD                 Aorus 500Gb NVME PCIe GEN 4 M.2

EXISTING       Seconday hard drives, Antec P180 case, old now but I love it. I know there are better ones out there but I just know how it works and how to lay cables to keep it tidy etc. Need to check size of GPU though to make sue it fits. Finally PSU is an EVGA 750 G3 fully modular.

Any comments, advice on parts? More importantly what points have I forgotten? The last build was over 6 years ago before I became ill. (Wireless is a little flakey in here, room has A/C pipes all around it).

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    New Build 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

Looks good.

Don’t beat yourself up on ram specs, you can only see the difference in benchmarks. I go for the best bang per buck which lately has been Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz, but rams pretty cheap so going for the extra mhz isn’t onerous.

IMO the best NVMe are the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro range. Very fast and reasonably priced. Get a 256GB one, no bigger, then use AMD’s StoreMI Technology to combine it with a spinner. It appears as one large drive and the software keeps the most used sectors on the SSD. Works a treat and it’s free.

The 3900X comes with a Wraith Prism cooler which is damn good. If you feel you need more, for say serious overclocking then I’ve abandoned air for closed loop liquid coolers. Much easier to deal with and often cheaper. I’ve not found the need for anything over a 120 radiator and they’ll fit most cases.

Cases, very personal but the P180 is looking very old fashioned now. All those HDD bays getting in the way and staying empty. Decent cable management is now a feature of most cases. I use the Betfenix Nova series but my favourite are the Phanteks. The following pictures are of builds very similar to yours.

New Build 4

This is a Phantek Eclipse, the HDDs are front loading at the bottom. As you can see keeping it tidy is easy.

New Build 5

These are Bitfenix Novas, cable management not so good as it’s more of a traditional layout (like the P180) but a metal side so it’s not going to be seen. This was before the GPU was installed, an RX570, a bit messy at the HDD and motherboard connectors end.

New Build 6

Different build (Intel not AMD) but similar specs and an RX580. A lot easier to keep tidy with an MATX mobo.

Participant
    New Build 7Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,568

+1 for the Bitfenix Nova – an excellent budget case

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    New Build 8Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

As you are building for all bells and whistles gaming, you may like to take a look at the recommended ray-tracing build for Cyberpunk 2077. link

The game itself has been delayed until September (probably to optimise for lesser hardware), but it still looks like it will push PC hardware specs in the manner that Crysis did way back when. Another guess at hardware is given here.

The hardware the developer used for his E3 demo last year is given here.

Participant
    New Build 2StevieP
    @steviep
    Forumite Points: 150

More to think about.

Dave: Phanteks seem to very popular, they are normally in the top ten of various testing sites and I do agree they look pretty good. The plan was to get everything, running, settled and tested then when funds allow upgrade the case. Will look at the Bitfenix Nova.

Ed, read quite a bit about ray tracing, nothing else to do, and still in it’s infancy really. Although one  or two good games will have people opening their wallets to change from AMD to NVidia, but who knows AMD will probably have a solution before / if ray tracing becomes the norm. although if the opinions are the web are to be believed, it’s going to take some serious hardware unless their is a way of finding the middle ground.

Participant
    New Build 10keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,470

AMD recomend 3200 ram, if you can, and with the infinity fabric running at 1 to 1 then this is were you should be if you do not want to lower the potential of yer CPU. Tight timinings if you can.

overclocking yer ram is complicated, messing around with dividers etc and so the sweet spot is DDR4 3200. 16GB if you shop around for between 60 and 70£,

Participant
    New Build 8Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

For 30 seconds I misread your cpu choice to be the AMD Threadripper 3990x – wow, talk about kicking sand in the face of Intel!

Participant
    New Build 2StevieP
    @steviep

Keith I think you might find that the sweet spot is actually 3600, that is 1800 x 2. There is a debate whether 3200 with tight timings is better than 3600 with loose timings. But as a person who has lapped C2Duo’s, which I still have although I have promised to get rid of all the bits when I get out, and totally removed IHS’s from other various chips and clocked up many different chips starting with an old single core Athlon I ain’t gonna get on that bus again, trust me. Takes over your life 10 more Mhz, then 15, nooooo!!!!, besides that if I were going to do that I would have picked a better board.

For veterans of the old Micromart forum I can still remember having a “discussion” with Jason about the best way to lap a chip, up and down or round and round, I still think i was right.😃

Participant
    @thinktank

Yes, I have often wanted to de lid a cpu and put water cooling direct on it. But it never happend, what happens in the real world and the minds eye are usually tottaly different.

I did liquid metal paste my old 3770k which I had clocked to 4.8 which I sold for more than I paid before moving to amd 3600 which is way better for games than my old 3770k. people always say get a better GPU but in this case it was actually CPU that took my gaming pc to a whole new level.

Participant
    New Build 2StevieP
    @steviep

The first time I lapped a chip I had all the kit, wet / dry down to seriously smooth, mirror, tape, water. The only problem I kept walking to it, walking away thinking what if it goes t*ts, physically shaking. Defo NO!!! 😂😂 Things we do when we were younger, bloody silly really.

Participant
    @thinktank

Yes, all good fun but later on you think that because you have lapped the cpu that it is unsaleable. But they seem to sell quite well.

Game on. :)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.