Forumite

New Build for Serious Artist

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk New Build for Serious Artist

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

As it says in the headline.

Lots of AMD offers* on at the moment so:

• Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Hexa Core (12 threads)
    • ASRock B450M Pro4
    • 16GB (2x 8GB) 2666MHz DDR4
    • MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8GB
    • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe
    • Antec P5 Case
    • Aero Cool Integrator OEM 500W 80+ Bronze PSU

Should go like stink. Probably not too bad at gaming too.

EDIT * Nearest I can get price wise to the R5 2600 is a Core i3-7100. No contest.

And the RX 570 8GB is price matched by a  GeForce GTX 1650 AERO ITX 4GB. No contest.

The Adata NVMe is up there with the Samsung 970 Evo and 30% cheaper.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,502

Sounds like a beast Dave.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

Hum. Let us know ?

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

On the advice of his accountant ( yes, son, I’ve heard – and used – that one before ) he’s just splurged out on one of THESE .

I don’t imagine he’ll have any hold ups on his coding etc for work, and even fewer on his games. He’s heavily into VR at the moment, it seems.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,371

How much? That’s certainly using up your capital allowance!

They don’t even tell you things like just what spec NVMe drive you’re getting. You would hope it’s at the Samsung 970 EVO end of the range.

As the OldPhart would have put it, this is for willy wavers with deep pockets and no idea exactly what they’re buying ?

I’ll stick to seeking out the clearance sales on last years models – R5 2600 vs R5 3600 – 10% increase for £73 (60%) more? Last year it was a damn good CPU and you wouldn’t pay the premium to upgrade, so it’s still a damn good CPU in my books but even cheaper!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

What sort of ‘serious’ artist? If the person needs 16bit/channel colour and uses pro software then they will need a ‘pro’ version graphics card. NVidia and AMD have conspired to only provide 16bit drivers on their very expensive pro ranges e.g Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro. (Yes you can get 10bit on DirectX, but there isn’t afaik a pro software that renders in DirectX mode). He/She will then need a monitor to match – VERY expensive!

If that strikes a bell Photoshop CS6 support is the term to search on.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Add without bottomless pockets to the title!

It’s the daughter of an ex colleague, now retired, who has sufficient mental health issues to preclude her ever working. She is however a fantastic artist and what she produces with her Wacom tablet is amazing. She does do some commissions but it’s pocket money stuff of pets etc.

She has outgrown her All-In-One Lenovo i5 so needs something better which Dad has to fund on his pension. The sort of kit you’re on about would be lovely, but it isn’t happening. They have been out and sourced a monitor already, one of the Dells I think but certainly no more than £200 worth.

So it’s not the best money can buy but the best we can buy with the money.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s finished, goes very quickly indeed. Windows installed to a usable desktop in 6 minutes.

Not quite as tidy as usual, the cable management top and bottom of the motherboard on the Antec P5 is non existent. The chassis fan headers are all on the bottom edge, so no choice but to trail the exhaust fan lead across the board.

Apart from that it’s a nice case with heavy sound proofing. For all intents and purposes this is a silent PC but I can imagine a bit of noise if the CPU and GPU are both pushed hard. The Aerocool Integrator has all the connections you could want and long leads.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 1,534

Its absolutely  balls all out mad what you can get for your money nowerdays. The tech, not just because AMD is back is all UBER.

I can recall when a value single core CPU gaming build was about £1000 and need replacing in 12months. 🙂

Nice looking build there Dave and a decent photo this thime.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Dave that is a nice looking case. But a heads up at this one.

https://www.ebuyer.com/725443-avp-el03w-viper-mini-tower-white-2-x-12cm-fans-usb-3-0-cas-7441

I have the black and the white version. The thing is the white one comes as standard with 2×120 fans front and back. Where as the black one does not. As you saw on my Vid my gaming machine only makes tops 35db Obvs curtisy of goodly cooling by amd and zotac. 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I looked at the Vipers, the thing is I’ve really fallen for bottom mounted PSUs.

The best case I’ve used this year is the Phanteks Eclipse P300 but it’s a really bling build only and ATX.

I’m eyeing up the CiT Serenity for the next one.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Real nice cases. I dont think I will bother with ATX anymore. I think ATX has had its day.? 🙂

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,438

I’m eyeing up the CiT Serenity for the next one.

Take any CiT specs with a pinch of salt…

https://forumite.co.uk/forums/topic/dont-buy-from-cit/

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

They have upped their game recently. I’ve tried one of their MTX cases and it was fine.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image